Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Trying to sleep after nightshifts……..
  • notlocal
    Free Member

and my neighbours kids (9,6 & 3)are on holiday. Hate to sound like the grinch, but it’s now day (night) 3 and I haven’t slept for more than 3 hours at a time due to them screaming at each other and bouncing footballs on their decking(VERY LOUD). They also seem incapable of going through a door without slamming it.
    Riding buddy with Dad, so don’t want to spoil that. But, they don’t discipline their kids or control their poor behaviour in public. We often go for coffee at a local coffee shop and the kids run riot, literally. They seem to be able to ignore the noise, unlike everyone else attempting to enjoy a quiet brew. Any ideas? Moving house is not an option…..yet. 🙁

brant
    Free Member

You don’t live next door to me do you?

notlocal
    Free Member

Wish I did, could “test” your new frames for you. 😀

Sleep deprivation, caffeine and Ti, perfect companions.

brant
    Free Member

Sleep deprivation sucks. I’d go for ear plugs, white noise and chemical assistance personally. Though I can sleep anywhere.

notlocal
    Free Member

getting to sleep is the problem, once I’m asleep Mrsnotlocal has to use a mirror under my nose to check I’m still breathing. Managed to sleep through most of Hurricane Ivan in 2004 so should probably stop whining.
    Off to bed, so will check this thread tonight when I’m back at work.

DrP

I generally go for a short spin after work – I really try to break away from the “straight to sleep after work” routine. Then I pop my iPod in and listen to a bit of spoken word (Ricky Gervais usually) which helps to get me off to sleep, and the earphones act as plugs!

Good night!

DrP

emac65
    Free Member

Ear plugs & no caffeine after 12 worked for me for over 20 years.Thick curtains help too

Drac

3 hours is about all I average on nights, you could try all the above techniques but for me if I’m tired I’ll sleep. Then again I run on about 5-6 hours sleep anyway so 3 isn’t a problem.

steel4real
    Free Member

Similar here – for several years I did 3 shift rotation but generaly slept OK even my house faced a school yard.

Tried to keep meals regular and close to their ‘normal’ times, no coffee at all, ear plugs, eye shade and thick curtains.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wot Dr P says – you wouldn’t go straight to bed after a day shift so stay up for a couple of hours after your night shift. Earplugs help as well

Russell96

I found when I was on nights best thing to do was to treat the morning the same as if you had finished in the evening. Do the same routine you would do if you got in after a 9 till 5 job. Go to bed a few hours after getting in, after having enjoyed a nice big evening meal with a beer to wash it down, watching TV recorded from the night, reading a book for an hour and so on..

pennine
    Free Member

My dad worked nights for 30 years. He came home about 06:30 but wouldn’t go to bed until 9 or 10 and be up around 4pm. Mind you, he could fall sleep anywhere – much to my mum’s annoyance.

I have trouble falling asleep after a night ride. Not found a cure yet 🙁

Flaperon

Ear plugs. You might find it worth going away and having proper ones fitted, but the foam ones work fine for me and I can still hear the alarm clock / fire alarm etc. The foam ones only work if you put them in properly – so squish them into a tube as hard as you can, then quickly slide them into your ear and hold them while they expand again.

firestarter
    Free Member

i try stay up a couple of hours then stick my walkman on and im away. Tho i did once sleep thru getting shelled years ago when in the army so can sleep pretty much anywhere lol

catnash
    Free Member

Blackout blinds can help. I take out my hearing aids so I’m lucky in that one. I now come home from the Ward, have a cup of tea watch news 24 and after an hour feel ready for bed. I now just accept the fact, bed eat work. Keep the bedroom cool as well. If you do struggle, some nytol can help but short term use.

emac65
    Free Member

Everybody I know has a different way of coping with nights so I think it’s about getting yourself into a regular routine so your body knows when to sleep.I have to hit the sack as soon as I get home,if I stay up I struggle to get off & end up waking at the sametime as if I’d gone to bed earlier….

chakaping
    Free Member

Second Russell’s advice.

I used to get in at about 7.30am, have some grub and watch a dvd with a glass or two of red wine (doctor’s suggestion).

Also got prescribed some sort of valium for the job, which worked a treat.

flip
    Free Member

I just got up after a night shift, i wear ear plugs and wouldn’t be able to sleep without them.
    I generally only get 4-5 hrs sleep total on a good day 😯

zaskar
    Free Member

You’re not my Dad are you?

Some folks moved into my Dad’s snobby street and have a huge extended family (4 married couples and 3 sets of 5yr olds between them)-only way to buy a £500,000 house-move your whole **** family in.

They scream like infant school playground in their back garden which they have the right to.

All the neighbours are fed up with it! grumble grumble.

So I play my guitar in the garden only for them to complain! haha!

Guess not all Pakistanis don’t like Led Zepplin :_(

Think my Dad is getting sleep now being made redundant-no nightshifts.

Probably having nightmares about no job though!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Have you thought about talking to them nicely and explaining if they could just be a little quieter for a while. I can imagine they may not be this amenable!!

I’m lucky when I come off 2200-0700 nights I get home, straight into bed and sleep like a baby until 1500-1600 hours!!!

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Dont eat or drink b4 you go to bed – dont read your post and dont go on the ‘puter – wipe your mind clean and you will sleep the sleep of the dead, I did night / day shift for 13yrs – with a noisy neighbour who liked the DIY scene …

gator
    Free Member

After 20 years of shifts – I hate school holidys !!

Ear plugs – thick curtians – and no coffee after about 4 am – though that does mean driving home with the window open and the music loud.

Hope I don’t wake next doors kids up – when I ge hope 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Trying to sleep after nightshifts……..’ is closed to new replies.