Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • TRP Spyre's
  • boblo
    Free Member

Anybody found these for sale at reasonable ££’s yet? Fatbirds have them but can’t find anywhere else…

Jamie
    Free Member

Seeing as Upgrade don’t even have any, I imagine you’re going to struggle.

timbur
    Free Member

Tee hee, good luck.
    Mine are ace. Well worth the money.
    Combined with Ultegra 9sp sti’s on a Tripster.
    Think mine are journo demo’s. They’ve done a bit more work on the pivots since mine were out to improve performance with Sram and Campag shifters.

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah thanks Timbur, that is helpful. 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

I know where Timbur lives. I’m gonna go round and nick his spyres. That’ll wipe the smile off his face 😉

timbur
    Free Member

You’ll need to get past me and the Ms260 first clubber!

Bring it on 😛

clubber
    Free Member

🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

Never mind the Spyre’s, when will we ever see the HyRd’s. 😕

Edit: That said there is a 2014 Whyte in my LBS with a set on, so they do actually exist.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do fatbirds actually have stock then as shown on their website? I was quite tempted to order some.

Jamie
    Free Member

Do fatbirds actually have stock then as shown on their website? I was quite tempted to order some.

All I know is that when they have stock listed as coming from the warehouse, they mean Upgrade’s warehouse.

cp

merlin had stock last week – prob worth an email to them to see when they are coming back in

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/road-parts/road-brakes/brake-calipers/trp-spyre-disc-brake.html

timbur
    Free Member

I saw a set of HyRds in action on the weekend.
    Upgrade have some in stock IIRC.
    Check here………….
    http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/TRP/Brakes/Disc
    (edit – OK last week they had stock, now they don’t)

Jamie
    Free Member

I think, and I could be wrong, most of the TRP stock, HyRds/SPyres, have gone on 2014 bikes. With the aftermarket..erm…market, getting them when the OEMs have had their fill.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

£52 from ebay

Rorschach
    Free Member

We’ve already sold a couple of pairs of spyres and some HyRds.Don’t see us banging them out on discount anytime soon though.

clubber
    Free Member

So who’s actually got/used Spyres? Initial reports seemed to suggest that they were OK but that the power wasn’t great – not up to BB7s at least.

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah Timbur, stop showing off and tell us what they are like compared to BB7’s (please).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What’s the advantage of HyRd’s over the Parabox? HyRd’s seem to be barking up the tree Hope and AMP left behind in the 90’s?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Interested in the HyRd’s, anyone got any feedback?, my cross bike has Lyra’s on at the moment,they feel crap on the road but seemed to cope OK with the cross race last Sunday.

tang
    Free Member

I have been mashing some hyrd’s on the crosser over the summer. First week of truly shitty conditions, working as they should. Nicely modulated, plenty of power. Paired them with ultegra sti with no fuss, easy to set up. Bit bulky on the eye compared to the spyre, but goes with the agricultural welds on the Pro6! I can’t complain as they were an ‘industry’ gift.

timbur
    Free Member

No idea about BB7’s other than I wouldn’t touch them being an Avid product. I’m not a fan.
    The Spyres are lovely on my Tripster. Nice and powerful, easy to set up and work with STI’s without any extra gubbins.
    The main benefit is that both pitsons move so you aren’t left with a slave pad so to speak.
    160mm front and rear as the 140mm mount fouled the frame on my Tripster and stopped any side to side adjustment.
    JoB has some HyRds on a CX bike. I’ll ask him to add some comments.
    Lyra’s were terrible IMHO. Had two sets to play with and never got them to work nicely.

boblo
    Free Member

Agree on the Lyra’s. mine either rub and don’t work very well or don’t rub and don’t work very well. Either way, they don’t work very well. :-/

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I preordered mine from Fatbirds a long time ago, they still arrived a good few weeks after the target date so I can’t imagine there are many sets knocking around. Certainly not for much cheapness (supply and demand and all that…)

So who’s actually got/used Spyres? Initial reports seemed to suggest that they were OK but that the power wasn’t great – not up to BB7s at least.

I’m a little underwhelmed at the moment with mine though I need to have a bit of a fettle. Used Jagwire Ripcord compressionless cables and there doesn’t seem to be that much ‘bite’ to them, though I am comparing them to a good set of mini vees with Swissstop pads on the old CX bike and my SLX hydros on the hardtail.

Definitely considering a new set of softer pads (maybe Ceramic Pros) as there was some horrendous squealing in the rain on Sundays ride out.

Nicely made, and I do like the dual piston moving. Setup was okay though the cable routing does seem to point the end of the inner cable into the disk rotor.

They are majorly low profile – to such an extent I didn’t actually have to bend the mudguard stays out of the way to get round them.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘TRP Spyre's’ is closed to new replies.