Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • TRP Quadiem brakes – what state are they delivered in?
  • mashr

I’ve just taken delivery of a set of these, bit surprised to open the boxes and see that the levers are disconnected from the calipers. Not a terrible idea as the rear will need to go through the frame anyway, and the front hose will need chopped. However, does anyone know if they are otherwise bled and ready to go?

They have a small screw in the end of the hose that makes me suspect that (in theory) you could plug them in and go, i’m not entirely convinced though – and the instructions don’t mention anything of use. Or should I just be going onto Epic Bleed Solutions to get hold of a bleed kit asap?

arogers
    Free Member

Mine came bled and connected in the box. If the levers are disconnected then I presume you still need to fill the master cylinder with oil? I think it would be difficult to do that and connect up bubble-free without bleeding the system.

On the subject of bleeding.. The bleed ports are a non-standard size. Epic don’t have the correct size attachments for the ports in their bleed kits (I learned that the hard way).

You can bleed them using the nipple on the caliper without attaching anything to the master cylinder bleed port but it’s messy and wasteful because you’re just squirting oil out of the lever. Alternatively you can do a Hope style bleed by removing the MC top cap but after doing that I found the rubber seal tricky to get back in the right place, which resulted in a bit of oil weeping from around the top cap during use. I ended up contacting TRP
    USA direct to get some appropriately sized bleed port attachments.

I’m sure this isn’t what you want to hear with a shiny new set of brakes begging to be ridden but hopefully it’s useful, at least.

mashr

Mine were plugged at both the lever and hose, so assume they were bled in the factory then disconnected – a little bit odd. Going to need a quick bleed anyway, quickly trimmed and fired the front together last night. It’d be rideable, but its not quite right.

Interesting point about Epic, they certainly claim to have the right sized connectors, they even have a photo of the kit attached to the lever. Will see what turns up!

I did have a quick look in the top port too. Wonder if a Shimano “cup” would thread in?

No massive drama really, so thanks for the info.

P.S. I asked Wiggle about them too, their advice was the pull the lever and see what happens!

arogers
    Free Member

Ah, maybe Epic has sourced the right kit now. It was a year ago I got mine. Despite advertising a Quadiem bleed kit he sent me a generic kit with adaptors which didn’t fit. No help whatsoever when I contacted him (didn’t even offer a refund despite the kit being useless to me) so I’d check before you order.

The Shimano cup doesn’t fit either. I tried that too!

TRP were very helpful. Sent me all the kit I needed FOC.

mashr

Just realised your mention of bleed nipple on the caliper – its a port now too, so I might be completely scuppered! Good to know that TRP are responsive if I need to get in touch, might not go straight in saying that their manual is shite and useless 🙂

EDIT: this is the Epic kit now, so fingers crossed

arogers
    Free Member

I just took a look at the Epic website. Looks like he has updated the kit so you should be alright. This line in the description peeved me a bit though: “Essential master cylinder bleed fitting & tubing included”. He definitely didn’t consider that stuff essential when I emailed him to point out the original kit wasn’t any use!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘TRP Quadiem brakes – what state are they delivered in?’ is closed to new replies.