Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Trouble indexing SRAM 11 spd
  • dantsw13

My new bike has SRAm 11 spd (X1 shifter, XO1 mech E13 9-44 cassette)

I’m struggling to get it indexed, suspecting a dodgy cable. I get the tension right to climb the block, then it hangs up on the way down. The mech hanger appears straight.

I’ve always had Shimano drivetrains – does anyone have a good link to fettling SRAM 11spd? Is SRAM 11spd mtb fiddly? I found it much harder to index Shimano Road 11spd than 10spd.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

B-screw adjustment makes all the difference.

dantsw13

In what way?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

This is a good setup video
    SRAM 11 Speed Setup

dantsw13

With the B screw, mine is all the way in, and I still have a large gap between the top jockey wheel and the largest cog.(30mm)

transporter13
    Free Member

Having always been a shimano user.. I recently bought the nx eagle group for my sons bike.
    Followed all the instructions to fit and ended up with the same issue as yourself.
    After much fiddling with cable tension and b screw adjustment I eventually narrowed it down to the chain being 1 link too long.
    It should be at a length whereby the b screw is most of the way out (well the gears on son’s bike are perfect anyway). I’d originally taken 4/5 links out for reference

dantsw13

Hmm – my B screw is already all the way in, ie no adjustment made.

transporter13
    Free Member

Unscrew the b screw most of the way out.. Take appropriate amount of links from chain and try again.. Thats what I had to do to get it to work 100%

13thfloormonk

My GX 11 speed seems ridculously sensitive to cable quality, so much so that I’d tried everything before replacing cable and outer.

Shimano’s fanciest opti-slick inner and SP41 outer solved the problem instantly.

So that’ll just be £20 of cable once a year then, bloody SRAM…

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Just been through same. My mech decided to go into my wheel a couple weeks back, had to fork out for new wheel, mech (so flipping expensive) and at the same time fitted new chain, cassette and front ring.

Never seen a groupset so b screw sensitive. Finally got it after half an hour but its super sweet now.

That video would have helped lol.

dantsw13

Thanks – what is the secret sweet spot with the B-screw. Is it getting exactly 21mm off the largest cog?

dantsw13

More research discovered that the 21mm was for 8/9spd and I want 15mm.

Checked the chain length (it was 2 links longer than required) and it’s all sorted 👍.

rocketman
    Free Member

Agree with all of the above re faff. From new my NX cassette was loose, there was way too much tension in the cable, the chain (basic SRAM lol) was like a piece of elastic and the high/low adjustment was non-existent.

Now it’s actually pretty good when it’s in gear – smooth & quiet – but the actual shift action is just crap. Long, heavy throw on the wobbly lever – maybe slightly overshift – and it generally goes in. Downshift depending on mph it might take a second or two to change. Just waiting for it to wear out.

I went out on another bike the other day with 10sp Saint + XT and it was a revelation.

vincienup
    Free Member

… because comparisons of budget components with premium is always fair…

In other news, XX1 is nicer than Acera…

13thfloormonk

How much Acera do you see on £1600 bikes though? Unlike ‘cheap’ SRAM which seems to dominate at that price range.

dantsw13

I think GX Eagle looks bling because it’s 12 spd and 10-50. In reality it’s clunky & a bit rubbish. Deore was always reliable and solid, just heavy. Mine is an X1/X01 combo, which has a lovely action and should perform well.

Wide range cassettes make it much harder to keep the jockey wheel close to the block for crisp shifting, but have made 1x a better proposition for the masses.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Trouble indexing SRAM 11 spd’ is closed to new replies.