Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 2,739 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • timbur
    Free Member

You’re all very bad people!

DrP

Well I’m off out tonight to thrash it about with the lads on their 150mm AM rigs….
    I’ll fill you in on the ‘teeth shaken out vs miles cycled’ count…

DrP

jdeasey
    Free Member

Ha !

That’s like a super sized version of mine !

I take it that is the largest frame they do – it looks enormous 🙂

JD

the_lecht_rocks

Timbur, what wheels and tyres ? Looks beautiful btw.

the_lecht_rocks

this mornings commute :

[/url]IMAG0406 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr[/img][/url]IMAG0408 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr[/img][/url]IMAG0407 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr[/img][/url]IMAG0405 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr[/img]

timbur
    Free Member

Oi, it’s only a 57cm (but up close so it looks bigger, you know, like the cows!)

Wheels are XT’s laced to Bonty Mustang rims. 29ers and built to last.

Tyres are Conti Cyclones IIRC. They were in the shed. It’ll have slicks on for sunday, maybe on a spare set of wheel if I can juggle the disc spacing.

Started with silver Ultegra 6600 parts as they wer ein the shed but it looked rubbish so I had to buy some 6700 stuff as it was the right colour (bangs head on desk)

Only waiting for ano blue cable ends now and she’s done. 😆

birdage

Nice build Tim. Can’t believe no one has commented on the state of your garden though………..

timbur
    Free Member

I know, I need a gardener.
    Wait a minute…………………

😀

(are you at the cafe on sunday?)

brassneck

Amex Cashback offer on new cards – 3% back on first £2K of spending, 0% for 18 months.

Just thought I’d drop that in 🙂

timbur
    Free Member

Amex? Do bike shops take them :O)

(sorry John_l if you’re reading this :O)

toby1

Can’t believe no one has commented on the state of your garden though………..

Or MTB Robs flat on the landy?

Anyone would think this thread had some other theme to it, standards round here really are slipping!

splorer

Hi, Could any of the owners of the 57cm frame size bike give me an idea of the standover height ?

cinnamon_girl

Um, seemed to have ordered a frame. 😳 How did that happen? 😆

the_lecht_rocks

well done c_g what size and how tal are you – i’m getting one for mrs TLR methinks !

cinnamon_girl

Size 51 and am 5’5″. 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

CG.. It was just a matter of time 😆 Bet you have looked at this thread an unhealthy number of times

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Or MTB Robs flat on the landy?
    not my landy! you should see some of the other vehicles here at the garage……….

Well done C Girl, that is a v good decision you just made!

jdeasey
    Free Member

Cinnamon Girl

That’s the frame I’ve just got – 51cm – and I’m 5’5″ and it’s perfect

Super little bike that’s making me smile every time I go on it.

I’m more if a trail runner tbh, but this seems a great accompaniment as it goes on pretty much all my running trails except for the very rocky sections …. fantastic on gravel or tow paths 🙂

Great decision to get one

JD

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the nice words guys. 😀 Will be some way off though due to availability of rims.

Is getting a little excited. 8)

gonetothehills
    Free Member

CG – Yay! You won’t be disappointed 🙂

Just been out on mine – Friday night treat of a hilly 20 miles in the rain. I’ve kept the 40c Land Rangers on and although it was all on road, some of the surfaces up in the hills are chronic so I’m not massively stressing about sticking the new pair of 28c Conti 4 Seasons that are kicking about the garage on.

In fact, it may be a few weeks yet as I’ve just booked accommodation for a 3 day tour at the end of the month – with hopefully a fair bit of ‘non-road’ built in… Macclesfield to Sheffield, via the Trans Pennine Trail, then Sheffield to Burton Upon Trent via a few bits of the NCN and some canal paths, then back to Macc via more quiet roads and tracks. It’s not a particularly long or demanding route but I really can’t wait.

the_lecht_rocks

i’ve done 500km on mine in the last 2 weeks in and out of work.

it’s comfortable, stable and perfectly capable of road, gravel and a bit of rock, although i’m still curious about how long the wheels can last with the hammering they get in certain forest road sections, but so far so good !

it is however best on road with the panaracer gravel kings in 28c. they roll superbly and have enough volume to really smoth out the cracked asphalt thats all around us up here.

i think the Lyras are superb , especially in the wet, but reckon ultegra rim brakes have more bite in dry conditions.

what brakes / pads are you folks using out tyhere ? i may go for a pad / disc change before going for the SLCs

cloudnine
    Free Member

Are the spyres and lyras the same pad as Shimano M515 brake pads?

Jamie
    Free Member

Spyres, yes, Lyra, no.

Shimano M515 (+ M475,M525,M465,M495 and probably others):

Spyre pads:

Lyra pads:

the_lecht_rocks

mmmm…may upgrade my calipers then…….

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Has anyone had both a Pro6 and the Tripster?

How does the Tripster compare?

I’m starting to think that I really need to scratch the itch that is a ti bike. I’ve been using the Pro6 for a bit of road riding but mainly using it on bridleways and singletrack around the Surrey Hills. I’m planning on entering a couple of the Central League CX rounds this season but I’m not sure the Tripster would be the ideal bike for it!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

More gravel / cobbles / dirt / lanes / byways fun this morning 🙂

Cracking 40m route with four good offroad sections including Wincle Minn, which is one of my absolute favourite places to ride a bicycle on the planet. I reckon you can see 7 counties from it – and it’s a really nice mix of gravel, broken tarmac and decent surface, right along a ridge.

Happy days.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Got my 1st Tripster KOM today… Might start creating segments incorporating sections of really rutted roads and a bit of gravel track

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Just to prove I do get out on a bike now and then! Watched the Womans CWG road race, ride, back to watch most of the mens road race.

Nice road ride in the sun!

the_lecht_rocks

i LOVE my tripster – not been ridden since thursday but cleaned and greaesed at the weekend and ready for some multifunction commuting duty tomorrow 😆

cr500dom
    Free Member

Was out on mine today too, first time out with the 28c 4 seasons fitted.
    Just as comfortable as the cross wolfs but much faster rolling and easier uphill !!
    2nd set of wheels needs ordering though.
    One for Tarmac, one for mixed or dirt rides
    Spyre Calipers will be coming as well so I can fit the tubus airy cleanly too :mrgreen:

somafunk

About time you scratched that itch C-G,

The final addition arrived for my Tripster today, a set of Paul Components 25yr Anniversary Skewers, a purely bike tart upgrade.

Bought from AVT in the states last thursday, delivered today.

DrP

Too many upgrades there!!

After having a go on some, I’ve ordered some salsa cowbell 2, in 44cm width..

Seem really comfy with a tiny amount of flare. I think they will make the bike much more stable off road, without transforming the road side of things too much 🙂

DrP

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Right, I’ve read this thread and a couple of online reviews of the Tripster and I reckon it’s the ideal bike for me but I’m a bit unsure about sizing.

I’m 5’11” with a 33″ inside leg and am currently riding a 54cm Pro6. The Pro6 is fitted with a Thomson setback post with 160mm of post showing but the saddle is pushed pretty far forward on it. It’s also running 30mm of spacers under the stem.
    I’m not really sure whether to go for a 54cm again or move up to the 57cm
    Any suggestions regarding sizing?

I’m planning on building up the Tripster with the component off my Pro6, hopefully it’ll be a straight swap and I’ll just need a new seatpost!

timbur
    Free Member

You’d prob be fine on a 54 or a 57. Depends how you like to ride it.
    I’m 6’1” and very comfortable on a 57 but I’ve got a fair amount of post out and a 120mm stem. It works for me. Will probably go for a 100/110mm stem when I find some time to change things around a bit as 120mm is good on the roads but is going to be a bit stretched when it goes bumpy.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Timbur.. i dont think the front mech will fit off the pro6 either…
    edit.. just realised you dont have one but the tubing is different diameters between the two

notmyrealname
    Free Member

You’d prob be fine on a 54 or a 57. Depends how you like to ride it.
    I’m 6’1” and very comfortable on a 57 but I’ve got a fair amount of post out and a 120mm stem. It works for me. Will probably go for a 100/110mm stem when I find some time to change things around a bit as 120mm is good on the roads but is going to be a bit stretched when it goes bumpy.

I’ve been comparing the geometry on the Pro6 and the Tripster but I really can’t decide which way to go regarding the sizing.
    I’ve previously had a 58cm Roubaix which was too big for me despite the person who did the bike fit saying otherwise! The 57cm Tripster seems a reasonable amount smaller than the 58cm Roubaix so it looks like it might be about right fir me.
    I imagine that the longer head tube of the Tripster would do away with the saddle to bar drop that I have on the Pro6 making it more comfortable for longer rides.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

somafunk – bloody lovely QRs!
    DrP – I’ll be very interested to hear how you go on with the bars. I’d sort of thought something similar but can’t quite get my head around how the STIs sit on them.

I did my 22m each way commute today – borked after the three days of riding at the weekend, but didn’t want to miss the decent weather. I snuck down the track in the LH pic on my post up ^^ there, riding it the other way for the first time, and in spite of stopping for a tractor, bagged a 4th overall on a Strava segment I didn’t know existed. That aside, it was beautiful riding towards the hills on 8 and a half minutes of traffic free (bar the tractor) trail.

All very good fun 🙂

hummerlicious
    Free Member

@notmyrealname – I’m six foot with a 34″ inside leg, I went 54cm as I felt the stretch was too much on 57cm.

birdage

Got Bell Laps on my Tripster which are identical to the Cowbells and they are excellent. Fine on the road but it’s off road they really come into their own, Had Cowbells on before but they were 46cm which was a bit wide, 44cm are fine.
    Absolutely no problem with STI positioning.

Andy

Dammit this thread is starting to haunt me. Had my frame for 3 weeks now and still not had time to build it 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 2,739 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.