Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!

Home Forum Bike Forum Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!

Viewing 45 posts - 541 through 585 (of 2,637 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • i’ve done 500km on mine in the last 2 weeks in and out of work.

it’s comfortable, stable and perfectly capable of road, gravel and a bit of rock, although i’m still curious about how long the wheels can last with the hammering they get in certain forest road sections, but so far so good !

it is however best on road with the panaracer gravel kings in 28c. they roll superbly and have enough volume to really smoth out the cracked asphalt thats all around us up here.

i think the Lyras are superb , especially in the wet, but reckon ultegra rim brakes have more bite in dry conditions.

what brakes / pads are you folks using out tyhere ? i may go for a pad / disc change before going for the SLCs

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Are the spyres and lyras the same pad as Shimano M515 brake pads?

Jamie

Spyres, yes, Lyra, no.

Shimano M515 (+ M475,M525,M465,M495 and probably others):

Spyre pads:

Lyra pads:

mmmm…may upgrade my calipers then…….

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

Has anyone had both a Pro6 and the Tripster?

How does the Tripster compare?

I’m starting to think that I really need to scratch the itch that is a ti bike. I’ve been using the Pro6 for a bit of road riding but mainly using it on bridleways and singletrack around the Surrey Hills. I’m planning on entering a couple of the Central League CX rounds this season but I’m not sure the Tripster would be the ideal bike for it!

Premier Icon gonetothehills
    Subscriber

More gravel / cobbles / dirt / lanes / byways fun this morning 🙂

Cracking 40m route with four good offroad sections including Wincle Minn, which is one of my absolute favourite places to ride a bicycle on the planet. I reckon you can see 7 counties from it – and it’s a really nice mix of gravel, broken tarmac and decent surface, right along a ridge.

Happy days.

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Got my 1st Tripster KOM today… Might start creating segments incorporating sections of really rutted roads and a bit of gravel track

MTB Rob

Just to prove I do get out on a bike now and then! Watched the Womans CWG road race, ride, back to watch most of the mens road race.

Nice road ride in the sun!

i LOVE my tripster – not been ridden since thursday but cleaned and greaesed at the weekend and ready for some multifunction commuting duty tomorrow 😆

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

Was out on mine today too, first time out with the 28c 4 seasons fitted.
    Just as comfortable as the cross wolfs but much faster rolling and easier uphill !!
    2nd set of wheels needs ordering though.
    One for Tarmac, one for mixed or dirt rides
    Spyre Calipers will be coming as well so I can fit the tubus airy cleanly too :mrgreen:

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

About time you scratched that itch C-G,

The final addition arrived for my Tripster today, a set of Paul Components 25yr Anniversary Skewers, a purely bike tart upgrade.

Bought from AVT in the states last thursday, delivered today.

DrP

Too many upgrades there!!

After having a go on some, I’ve ordered some salsa cowbell 2, in 44cm width..

Seem really comfy with a tiny amount of flare. I think they will make the bike much more stable off road, without transforming the road side of things too much 🙂

DrP

Subscriber

Right, I’ve read this thread and a couple of online reviews of the Tripster and I reckon it’s the ideal bike for me but I’m a bit unsure about sizing.

I’m 5’11” with a 33″ inside leg and am currently riding a 54cm Pro6. The Pro6 is fitted with a Thomson setback post with 160mm of post showing but the saddle is pushed pretty far forward on it. It’s also running 30mm of spacers under the stem.
    I’m not really sure whether to go for a 54cm again or move up to the 57cm
    Any suggestions regarding sizing?

I’m planning on building up the Tripster with the component off my Pro6, hopefully it’ll be a straight swap and I’ll just need a new seatpost!

timbur

You’d prob be fine on a 54 or a 57. Depends how you like to ride it.
    I’m 6’1” and very comfortable on a 57 but I’ve got a fair amount of post out and a 120mm stem. It works for me. Will probably go for a 100/110mm stem when I find some time to change things around a bit as 120mm is good on the roads but is going to be a bit stretched when it goes bumpy.

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

Timbur.. i dont think the front mech will fit off the pro6 either…
    edit.. just realised you dont have one but the tubing is different diameters between the two

Subscriber

You’d prob be fine on a 54 or a 57. Depends how you like to ride it.
    I’m 6’1” and very comfortable on a 57 but I’ve got a fair amount of post out and a 120mm stem. It works for me. Will probably go for a 100/110mm stem when I find some time to change things around a bit as 120mm is good on the roads but is going to be a bit stretched when it goes bumpy.

I’ve been comparing the geometry on the Pro6 and the Tripster but I really can’t decide which way to go regarding the sizing.
    I’ve previously had a 58cm Roubaix which was too big for me despite the person who did the bike fit saying otherwise! The 57cm Tripster seems a reasonable amount smaller than the 58cm Roubaix so it looks like it might be about right fir me.
    I imagine that the longer head tube of the Tripster would do away with the saddle to bar drop that I have on the Pro6 making it more comfortable for longer rides.

Subscriber

somafunk – bloody lovely QRs!
    DrP – I’ll be very interested to hear how you go on with the bars. I’d sort of thought something similar but can’t quite get my head around how the STIs sit on them.

I did my 22m each way commute today – borked after the three days of riding at the weekend, but didn’t want to miss the decent weather. I snuck down the track in the LH pic on my post up ^^ there, riding it the other way for the first time, and in spite of stopping for a tractor, bagged a 4th overall on a Strava segment I didn’t know existed. That aside, it was beautiful riding towards the hills on 8 and a half minutes of traffic free (bar the tractor) trail.

All very good fun 🙂

@notmyrealname – I’m six foot with a 34″ inside leg, I went 54cm as I felt the stretch was too much on 57cm.

birdage

Got Bell Laps on my Tripster which are identical to the Cowbells and they are excellent. Fine on the road but it’s off road they really come into their own, Had Cowbells on before but they were 46cm which was a bit wide, 44cm are fine.
    Absolutely no problem with STI positioning.

Premier Icon Andy
    Subscriber

Dammit this thread is starting to haunt me. Had my frame for 3 weeks now and still not had time to build it 🙁

i’m 6′ with 34″ iside leg and ride the 57cm fits perfect. the smaller frame would work better offroad, but mine is biased road / trail 70/30 %

timbur

34.9mm front mech.

DrP

Re the bars…

I’ve got midge bars on one bike, and the flare/angle on those does make the STIs sit ‘differently’, but they are still ok.
    However the flare on there cowbells was very minimal – in all fairness the brifters sat ‘normally’ on those, yet the whole set up felt a lot more comfortable and stable than the road bars that are currently on it.

I’ve also stuck a cheapo inline carbon post on it…but have yet to actually ride it with that on.
    Should I use carbon paste?

DrP

Premier Icon splorer
    Subscriber

@the lecht rocks; can you tell me what the standover height is on your 57cm build?

Subscriber

i’m 6′ with 34″ iside leg and ride the 57cm fits perfect. the smaller frame would work better offroad, but mine is biased road / trail 70/30 %

My Pro6 is used about 50/50, road/off-road so I’m thinking the 54cm might be the way to go. Looking at the geometry, it’s a little bigger than the Pro6 so it shouldn’t be uncomfortable at all.
    Now to try and find some stock somewhere!

been following this thread for a while. today I rang freeborn for a ‘chat’. they are out of stock of build kits, and no 54’s. i’ll carry on drooling for the next few weeks, and see if they get the back ordered stuff in. in the meantime, I have to sell my blingy single speed, and a boll*ck to raise money. will this replace my roadbike as well. to be honest it’s for some commuting (bad quality B-roads), fire roads, and fun. i’d not considered touring. it would end up being a tripster, and my carbon hardtail, no more n+1.
    any/all advice welcome.

still love my carbon road bike sunday best as my tripster is a commuting fun machine for gravel, forest and b-roads.

birdage

Dr P – Got a carbon seat post on mine and have use carbon paste. The Thomson I was using before was prone to slipping, I think Thomsons are on the narrow side. The paste even helped prevent slipping on that post to some degree but I’ve found the carbon post much more comfortable than the Thomson. Occasionally a bit creaky but I think that is down to the crap clamping arrangement(Enigma)on mine

my thomson also slips – what carbon post is recommended folks ?

Subscriber

Must be a common thing with Thomson posts as the one on my Pro6 slips as well!
    I needs up fitting a KCNC seat post grip like this to stop it slipping.

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=351

Premier Icon andyfla
    Subscriber

I would respectfully ask for this thread to die again as Parliament has said I cant have a new frame as I am not bringing in an income at the moment so all the money is HER’S ! Ok, not quite how she phrased it but that’s what i heard.

Still want one, they look lovely

I’ve got an Easton Haven carbon post in mine, again with carbon paste. But I’m probably going to put in a Ti U.S.E. post when I can afford it, probably no better, but I’m a tart….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oyBjsX]IMG_20140730_081455[/url] by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

nunuboogie

Oh…….
    Have just discovered this thread, anyone want to buy a XS singular peregrine?

MTB Rob

So what mudguards do you guys recommend?
    SKS?
    any Width/clearance issues?
    Silver or black?

Subscriber

I tried a Thomson in mine right at the start but didn’t like the look of the layback on it. I swapped it for a Deda alloy that slipped and now have a bling Ritchey WCS carbon in there (with paste) that fits fine. So saying, I’ve just got myself a cheap alloy one off the classifieds so I can put my Topeak post mounted rack on it for my little tour at the end of the month…

i’m using sks chromoplastic but the stays are an absolute nightmare to fit due to the disccalipers – i’m now an expert !

35mm [thinnest] with my 28c’s

MTB Rob

Thanks TL_Rocks, funny enough I was looking at them 😀
    I did wonder about mudguard Stays/ Calipers as there been a few post/pics But I am hoping it not to bad with the Hdy calipers as I think they a bit narrower.

rewski

but I’m a tart….

me too, I’ve just fitted one of these Funn Hyperion Ti seatposts to my Kinesis Sync. The clamp mech is a bit on the heavy side but clever design and rock solid. Feels as smooth as carbon with less flex, I have my posts on the 400 limit.

Nice, where from?

couple of modifications. 3mm spacer under the stem, bars rotated a smidge and saddle shifted forward 5mm. fitted the gobi rubber cover for a wee bit of protection.

minor adjustments but will make the off-road portion of my commute a wee bit more “manageable”….

gratuitous pic :[/url]IMAG0413 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr[/img]

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

My Spyre SLc has turned up (Cheers Andy) and I`ve has the Tubus Airy waiting for it too, so I now need to order some guards and get everything fitted 8)

the_lecht_rocks – Member
    my thomson also slips – what carbon post is recommended folks ?

I too have a Tripster and Thomson post which are woefully mismatched size-wise. There was clear daylight between the two, so I used a diy shim. I had to go for the big pint can so that I got the full sleeve on the seatpost insertion:

maracucho

Interesting thread, this. So is the Tripster ATR better than a 2015 Croix de Fer 30? Or should I wait to see what exactly the Tripster ACE is like?

Premier Icon cloudnine
    Subscriber

So is the Tripster ATR better than a 2015 Croix de Fer 30? Or should I wait to see what exactly the Tripster ACE is like?

Its without doubt the best bike ever made. Try not to pollute the thread with mention of those crap de fers.. now clear your mind and stare at another picture…

maracucho

Good answer. Cheers and sorry.

Viewing 45 posts - 541 through 585 (of 2,637 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.