Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trigger to Grip Shift – Any Regrets?
  • astormatt
    Free Member

Will save writing a massively long, boring post but looking to replace my 11spd X01 shifter for the grip shift version.

So, any regrets? I know it’s an expensive upgrade, if you can call it that.

tjagain

I have it on most of my bikes – I far prefer it.  they are 9spd tho if that makes any differnce.  IMO much nicer to use, tider cable runs, able to shift multiple gears in one go.  I wouldn’t go back.  Just bought a new bike and that will be converted to gripshift as well

tpbiker
    Free Member

I had it on my xc bike, I was pleasantly surprised. That said I would not use it on a bike that I planned to use for more aggressive riding.. Had a few accidental shifts when trying to hop or jump the bike

cookeaa

I know it’s an expensive upgrade, if you can call it that.

If it’s just an experiment there’s an NX gripshift available, I doubt there’s actually much difference between the NX and X0 versions really.

I have always liked gripshift, I only really started using triggers because I prefered shimano mechs and after 8 speed it was just easier to simply buy all shimano kit.

If I jump to 11 speed any time soon, I’ll certainly consider the SRAM option now as I would love to try a more modern gripshifter…

dissonance

Quick question. Why switch?

Personally, after riding a couple of mates bikes with gripshift,  I would give it a miss but different strokes for different folks. If I was thinking of switching I would be looking to borrow a bike with it for a couple of 100k riding to try and get past the instinctive it doesnt feel the same rejection.

astormatt
    Free Member

The simple reason for me thinking about switching is i took out my Trigger for the first time in 4 months or so and i was always having to stretch my hand around to reach the rear lever on the shifter.

It obviously isn’t something that bothered me, or i thought about too much before, but not being able to adjust the shifter position like on the Eagle set up on my hardtail, to bring it forward and up, it just felt really awkward and annoying.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s awesome especially with broken thumbs, went back by accident to trigger and I’m going back to grip shortly

hols2
    Free Member

I think you will need to just try it for yourself. Most people use triggers and have probably never tried Gripshit. People who have tried Gripshift probably did so for a reason, so are more likely to like it than a random person. That means that you are much more likely to get responses from people who like it, even if most people don’t like it. Not very useful for predicting whether you will like it.

Personally, I tried cheaper Griftshift stuff about 20 years ago, before SRAM started making good stuff. I did not like it and have been using Shimano stuff ever since.

Poopscoop

I’ve just moved the other way after years of gripshift.

No particular reason if I’m honest, wanted a change. Gripshift is great.

Have a brand new (fitted to bike on stand, never finished build, then taken off) 2x GX 11 spd gripshift sat here going on the for sale forum when I get round to it… Yes, not so subtle. 😉

Oh, it’s worth having *both* shifters so the grip feels the same on both sides. You can use the left shifter to control a dropper unless it’s a reverb of course…

The build and weight are virtually identical on all 11 spd gripshift group sets are far as I remember.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trigger to Grip Shift – Any Regrets?’ is closed to new replies.