Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Trek marlin 29er ss fork change?
  • stoddys
    Free Member

Should I take off the heavy weight stock forks off my trek marlin 29er ss?
    Rigid? Carbon or steel? Price?
    can I get a nice buget g2 rigid fork

Oh yea, not taken mine off yet, are the tapered or straight steerer tube. Any one know?
    Thanks Stoddy

steveoath
    Free Member

My old one was non tapered. You will struggle to find a g2 fork aftermarket. But you won’t explode if you fit a non g2 one. A nice exotic fork would be ace.

Pyro

Non-tapered, and if I push ‘go’ on what I’m thinking of tomorrow, it’ll be dressed up in a set of Manitous – they’re closest to the G5 offset (48mm as opposed to 51mm G2 offset)

belugabob
    Free Member

Definitely non-tapered steerer.
    A friend and I put Manitou Tower Pros on our Marlins (one SS and one geared)
    That was over 2 years ago and they’re both still going strong.
    I did hear recently, that G2 forks are now available aftermarket, so may be worth a further look before you go for the Maintous

sillyoldman

Though you could fit a tapered steerer if you fit an external lower 1.5″ cup for a 44mm head tube.

Muke
    Free Member

OP what did you decide to do ? interested as in a similar position myself.
    belugabob I met your mate @ SSUK and he was saying what a great fork the Manitou Tower Pro was on the Marlin. Unfortunately Pro is out of my budget at the moment so having to consider the Expert as a cheaper alternative.best price new I’ve found so far is £269 @CRC.

Saratoga
    Free Member

Try WinstanleysBikes, they do the Experts for £240 and Pros for £304. I got mine from there.

Muke
    Free Member

Nice one Saratoga, unfortunately not available in the flavour I want at the moment.
    When do the new 2014 forks come out as I was thinking along the lines of when they do then the 2013 models become cheaper ?

Muke
    Free Member

Struggling to find White 100mm Tower Experts in stock anywhere now, maybe have to wait for the Pro price to drop then. 😕

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Trek marlin 29er ss fork change?’ is closed to new replies.