Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Trees down, options for cutting trunks?
  • Slacks
    Free Member

After the weekend storms there are a few trees down blocking some well established local trails.  Trunks of a some of the couplet  are 50/60cm in diameter

I’ve used a folding saw  and one of the pocket chainsaw (cheap hand chainsaw blade job) in the past to clear smaller trees.  Short of lugging a chainsaw about under cover of darkness, is there another tool for the job I’m missing?

Think the biggest folding silky saw I can get might be the best option.

k1100t
    Free Member

Felling axe…?

nedrapier

if they’re 60cm, you want a 3″ cross cut handsaw. Or a 4 foot two man job. If you get a 65cm saw, you’ve only got 5cm of stroke at the widest point. It’ll take forever like that, as opposed to a just a very long time, as it will with a handsaw.

For the chainsaw alternative, darkness is one option, but you’ll want to see what you’re doing. Go the other way with Hi-Viz in the daytime. you’ll be just as invisible! Assuming you’ve got kit and skills etc.

joebristol

Obviously a full chainsaw would make quick work of something that size, but it’s a bit erm obvious to carry round.

I’d just get a new / proper corse wood saw and stick it in a backpack. It shouldn’t take too long to get through something that size. It’s amazing how much better a new saw is compared with an old one.

The other option if you have access to one is a rechargeable electric reciprocating saw. I bought a corded one a while ago for cutting roots in a hole in the garden (I was having fun removing some big conifer stumps) where I was struggling with access to it for a proper saw and it made very light work of them.

kayak23

Cordless chainsaw ftw

Might be able to hire one possibly.

Otherwise, an axe, a fair bit of time and sore arms.

Slacks
    Free Member

@NeDrapier cheers. Hadn’t thought of that. Happy with a long time and a bit of effort. Will see how it goes.

Hiding in plain site isn’t an option here sadly.

nickjb
    Free Member

Post a ‘free fire wood’ advert on facebook. It’ll be gone in a few hours

NewRetroTom

Hiding in plain site

I see what you did there.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve just done a bunch of big trees (up to a meter) across with a big 2kg felling axe. Fits in my backpack with the handle sticking up by my ear. It took 40 minutes for the big tree and smaller trees, the size you are talking about 10-15 minutes. It was way quicker that way using the ebike to access than walking in with the chainsaw. Also dying in the woods with a self inflicted axe wound seems more romantic than the chainsaw equivalent. It makes a lot of noise though so be aware. Less than a chainsaw but for a longer duration.

hooli

Are the trails rights of way by any chance? If so, reporting it as a blocked byway to the local council got a few cleared around my way in December.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

if they’re 60cm, you want a 3″ cross cut handsaw

You’ll be a while wi that…

nedrapier

You’ll be a while wi that…

Yup!

here’s 2 big dudes with a bigger saw. edited video, but progress is not lightning quick.

hopkinsgm

…you want a 3″ cross cut handsaw…

Do you live anywhere near Stonehenge?

teethgrinder

Det cord is your friend.

dahedd
    Free Member

I’ve done 2 over this last week blocking local singletrack, though thanks to Storm Ciara I’m sure there’s more now. My folding saw just wasn’t cutting it , no pun intended, so off to the local DIY shop for a saw to fit into the frame bag on my Fatty. This is doing the job just nicely (I also have a wee axe)

https://homehardwaredirect.co.uk/productinfo?product=Stanley-Bow-Saw-300mm12&ProductID=16317

Houns

A couple of tame beavers

scruff
    Free Member

I bought a cheap 532mm bowsaw from b&q yesterday for clearing some trails after last weekend. We did 3 trunks maybe up to 40cm biggest one in a couple of hours with shifting brash and moving once cut, the blade seemed very flexy but it did the job. There was a big trunk that seemed bigger than 60cm so we built a jump over it 😉

lardman
    Free Member

Small Silky type saw in the backpack, cut the mid-sized branches off the downed trunk and build a ramp up one side, and maybe down the other.

Trail obstacle now trail ‘feature’.
    Much quicker and more interesting than removing it, surely?

scruff
    Free Member

Depends on the angle of the dangle for kicker / yump building and needs decent dirt not slimy logs which will rot.
    And check for hanging branches / trees above your head.

cashback

I keep meaning to buy a silky kantanaboy, but they seem a lot of money. You could buy a chainsaw for less. So if anyone gets one let me know if it’s worth the cash

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve got a Silky Gomtaro, its great compared to a cheaper saw, cuts very fast and fits in a backpack.

nedrapier

do silky do anything appropriately sized for 60cm trunks?

honeybadgerx

It was way quicker that way using the ebike to access than walking in with the chainsaw

There must be a market for e-bike powered chainsaws, I’m calling the next niche for 2020!

Houns
    mudfish

Good discussion. Very timely. Quite a few trees down at Leith I’ve been working away there.
    Does the Silky blade hold up well?
    There’s that “kink the blade” event that can occur when the blade sticks especially in damp wood. And it’s not a wide blade that would be a costly error!
    I find others sometimes want to join in cutting so blade strength is a real consideration.
    I’ve got one of these with a proper coarse blade that does quite well. We got through a 14” trunk with it the other day. Took 4 of us near on an hour though. It is getting a bit bent too. Still it’s not at all costly.

https://www.toolstation.com/spear-jackson-multipurpose-demolition-saw/p91025?store=B7&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=CjwKCAiAp5nyBRABEiwApTwjXkmZJzuUbtn0aFqVMNXGoTKMjETOpayQL9huMXBJZ5taFdJRUsHnRxoCXOAQAvD_BwE

N

alexnharvey
    Free Member

What is the issue with using a chainsaw? Why would you do it under the cover of darkness? Is it illegal?

nedrapier

if you don’t mind spending a bit, I’d recommend the Silky Sugoi. Rips through wood, has a very handy hook knife on the end for snagging little branches and creepers. tapered grind, so the back of the blade is thinner and sticks less in the cut. Pull saw, so less risk of bending. Doesn’t fold but goes in a backpack. sheath has elastic velcro and belt loop so you can keep it on you while moving about or climbing.

doug_basqueMTB.com

The problem I’ve found with the saws is that if there is weight in the tree it quickly traps the blade. Sometimes it’s possible to cut from below but it’s really not easy. The axe is great for that.

Alex, is it legal? Depends. Do you have written permission to clear trees, appropriate certificates, is it a proper row. So many variables. Often just quicker to get in a do it.

Ebike chainsaw… there is an idea 🙂

mudfish

Nedrapier
    How about Silky Katana 1000! Wow. The folding 500 might be a useful size. Too expensive
    Have you as opinion on this one?
    Is the sugoi superior?
    https://uk.knivesandtools.eu/en/pt/-silky-bigboy-2000-360-7-5-coarse-orange.htm?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyp7yBRCwARIsABfQsnSBlMH0FGeArboeVY8uz9Iwraf1Vs3c1XWmXpBiX3sgIWRIk9o9qkgaAh0tEALw_wcB

damascus
    Free Member

Cuts on the pull stroke only.

Report it to the council or take an axe and make it into a feature.

Put it in Facebook and try and get some people to come with you to help clear it if the council don’t get back to you.

Wear high viz jackets. Community 10000 project if anyone asks

dropoff

Think I’d just put all the gear on complete with hiviz and use the chainsaw.

z1ppy

scruff

I’ve got a Silky Gomtaro, its great compared to a cheaper saw, cuts very fast and fits in a backpack.

Great tool, I have one too, I bought it in 2011 & I only changed the blade last year just due to age/rust, as it get a reasonable amount of use & will chop something approximately twice the blade length if you work your way round.. I do get Silky envy about the Katanaboy though.

z1ppy

mmmmuhhahahahah

http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/katanaboy-1000.php
    TBF the price make the 500 look great value…

Kit
    Free Member

Dealing with wind blown trees is about the most dangerous cutting work you can be doing. 50-60cm is a considerable size to be dealing with too, even with a chainsaw. You need to be extremely careful about where the tension is in the tree, or that thing could end you.

Setting about it with an axe will gradually release any tension/compression in the tree, though, so maybe a better option than trying to cut, unless the thing is flat on the ground.

And absolutely don’t do it at night or on your own FFS!

mudfish

Katanaboy
    Or Temagari

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Trees down, options for cutting trunks?’ is closed to new replies.