Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Travelling through Canada to the US
  • stu170
    Free Member

Got a trip to Vegas planned in June with a few pals, sorting estas/visas at the minute. US one all good, and we need one a Canadian one as we’re laying over in calgary.
    Does anyone know if you need to do 2, for there and back?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Canadian eta is valid for 5 years, so just the one needed

beanum

Prepare to be shocked at the difference in border personnel. Entering the US we were waived to the side, then in the office our passports were taken from us for a good ten minutes and we had to give full fingerprint scans.

Entering Canada a week later we were congratulated on our French and waved through…;-)

Has the law changed because (3 years ago) we didn’t need a visa for Canada with UK passports…?

jblewi
    Free Member

My experience was very different to Bearnum’s. I currently live in Canada but before that when visiting I was given a good grilling as to why I was coming into the country and what my plans were, who I was staying with and actually rang my Canadian girlfriend to confirm my answers. Probably didn’t help that we met each other in Turkey which was one of the questions they asked, i’m sure that set some bells ringing in the border guys ears!

You don’t need a visa right now and there is an electronic entry option that takes a photo of you (at least there is in Toronto)

ebygomm
    Free Member

Has the law changed because (3 years ago) we didn’t need a visa for Canada with UK passports…?

You need to get an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorisation) if arriving by air. They brought it in a few years ago

stu170
    Free Member

Cheers for that

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Travelling through Canada to the US’ is closed to new replies.