Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Transition Spire
  • steveh

I’m thinking of getting a Spire as a new bike to replace my Geometron G1 and wondered if there were any owners on here? How are you finding them? Any niggles or problems? Any idea what your bikes are weighing? If anyone vaguely near Sheffield has one I could sit on and roll about on I’d be very grateful.

I’ve found some info online that suggests Alu ones are 3.5 lb heavier than carbon, Transition are saying more like 2 lb – a big difference! Weight is part of the reason I’m looking to change (carbon bike should be 4-6lb lighter than my g1) and also I’ve been on Geometrons for about 5 years and fancy trying something new. The geometry is very similar on paper.

argee

Loads of stuff on the transition group on facebook, as it’s mainly US owners so far, but seems to be mainly positive, like you’d expect to be fair, weight will be around how you use it, it’s a beefier sentinel, but there’s a fair few options now, especially with the mullet patrol as well, so almost inbetween the spire and sentinel, but with the mixed wheels.

steveh

Thanks, I’ve joined that group and asked a few questions there too. It’s only a spire for me, only one with a geometry I want or close to it. Weight should be good based on carbon bike weights I’ve seen.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I rode one recently & a new Patrol.

I didn’t really expect the result I found, I kind of discounted the Patrol as I didn’t really want a mullet for my leg bike, but it was a really, really good fun bike to ride, annoyingly it didn’t feel that fast, or result in actually being that fast when we did some back to back runs.

The Spire I couldn’t work out. It seemed super fussy to set up, but I couldn’t shake that feeling of despite its sheer size, it felt (and rode like) a big trail bike. It totally reminded me of the current Ransom, when I expected it to feel like the Enduro.

steveh

Thanks Hob-nob that’s interesting to hear. Has to be a Spire for me or the numbers don’t work. Transition describe it as a nimble bruiser, I’ve quite a poppy playful style when riding decently so feels like it might be a good fit.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Then it probably will work well for you – although I’m not really sure what it brings over the Sentinel at 150mm of rear travel? That pedalled better & didn’t really feel any different on the downs to me.

I’m definitely more of a hack/plougher so neither were ideal to me to be fair.

marksnook
    Free Member

Can’t comment directly on the spire but replaced my commencal meta with a sentinel, it’s shorter, lighter and less travel but a better bike in every way! Stright away it felt right and I’m clearing gaps I largely came up marginally short on. Only a couple rides in but I’m crazy happy. Spire looks a great bike. I just don’t think I needed that much bike for the fod/South Wales terrain we ride
    Reviews make it sound like a long legged sentinel if that makes sense? I think size for size the spire is slightly longer than sentinel?

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks great and apparently rides very perky and light for a 170mm bike.

I think I’d get on with one as someone who likes to do big days – but at the price of the carbon frame, I’d have to consider the Spesh Enduro and Nukeproof Giga instead.

Trek Slash could be a good option for an all-round bike bike too, if 160mm rear travel would suffice.

steveh

I’m not really fussed about the travel but coming from a Geometron it’s all about the numbers. Nothing else comes close to my G1 numbers apart from this! The seat and head angles and reach are the key ones. Thanks for the thoughts folks, keep them coming.

impatientbull

I’ve had one for a month. Only had one proper ride on it so far due to a crash at the start of the second one. Initial impressions are very good. Compared to the MY19 Bronson it’s replacing it has a more comfortable climbing position and feels a lot more stable downhill. I was surprised how easily it handled some tight, tricky corners, and it felt good in the air. I went for the complete GX build, but replaced the rear shock with an Ext Storia and moved AXS components over from the old bike. I have a large at 181cm tall. Not weighed it I’m afraid.

There’s a long thread on the Pink Bike forum about them if you’re looking for more opinions.

steveh

Thanks, haven’t found that one will go and hunt it down.

botleymtb
    Free Member

If you would like to try a carbon Spire and you live in the south of England, we have a Transition demo day 13th November. Details on our website. There will be a carbon Spire, and also a Patrol.

steveh

@botleymtb I don’t live in the South of England but a trip might be doable. Where are you/which shop do I need to talk to?

botleymtb
    Free Member

Botley MTB, if you google us you’ll see a link at the top of our home page. Loads of info on there so have a read, drop me a message if you have any questions!

I could see about getting you onto the bike for a bit longer if you’re travelling some distance.

We have sold the last Carbon spire we have, so don’t actually have any for sale but at least it would give you the opportunity to try one.

I’m getting a spire myself – aluminium in orange.
    Build will include orange 38 factory, dhx coil, saint brakes, fortus wheels, XT drivetrain. Hoping it will arrive in the UK next week so I can bring it to the demo day – been waiting a few months for it!

steveh

Thanks. I’m in Sheffield so will have a think! It’s a long trip down.

oikeith

Thanks. I’m in Sheffield so will have a think! It’s a long trip down.

Sheffield to Southampton must be 4 hours each way, for peace of mind when spending that amount of money on a new bike I think a full day trip has its value.

chakaping
    Free Member

Drop Transition UK a line and see if they’ve got any demos lined up further north?

Wouldn’t mind a go on a Spire myself TBH.

militantmandy
    Free Member

Why are you getting rid of the G1?

pigyn
    Free Member

Can’t help with a demo but I do have a large XT in stock and on display, can weigh it if you want.

Also got medium and large GX in stock 🤟

They look great and everyone has been really happy with them so far, drop the shop message if we can help with anything.

What's in stock now?

steveh

@militantmandy – I’ve had 3 geometrons in a row and fancy a change. I’ve never stuck with one brand/bike for close to this long before. Geometry is very similar, should be 4-5lb lighter.

Demo wise, yes will be looking at other options, have been at revs all day so will get on the phone tomorrow.

@pigyn
    – Thanks for that, I’m due an Inners trip soon so you could be a lot more convenient than Southampton.

steveh

Think I’ve found one!

steveh

Deposit done, should have it next week all being well.

steveh

A quick update so anyone looking who ends up at this thread gets a bit more info.

I now have my large carbon frame in grey, got it from Brink in Bedford who were great to deal with and crucially actually had exactly what I wanted available. Built up with all the bits off my G1, zebs, hope/dt wheels, shimano drivetrain and brakes and a new PNW loamer seatpost as the old one was a different size. It’s 35lb all done without any effort to make it light, 3.5lb less than the g1 was.

I’m up in inners for a few days to get used to it and set up the shock etc. 2 days done and I love it. Transition call it a nimble bruiser and I agree, it’s very playful for the size and travel and I felt at home on it very quickly. Vital review talked of a harsh feeling from the back end but I’m not picking up on any of that (neither is my shockwiz) and I think it’s probably due to fox x2 vs rockshox shock on their test bike.

The spire comes highly recommended from me! Any questions feel free to drop me a pm or post here and tag me in so I actually see it.

dave_robinson1
    Free Member

Alight thread hijack but I’m desperately searching for a Spire XT build in medium… anyone come across one?!

steveh

I found mine by getting on the phone to various dealers. Get on the phone to a few.
    Also full builds look bad value to me, frame is 3100 less than full bike, cost of bits don’t add up to that 3100, might be close and would get you a bike but definitely not a decent saving like you’d expect from a full bike.

dave_robinson1
    Free Member

I’ve tried quite a few dealers but most are saying spring ‘22 or not idea when stock will be available 😒

Hmm building one up from a frame could be an option but in my head a Fox 38, full XT groupset, a nice set of wheels, headset and cockpit etc would be more than the £6.5k XT build? Plus labour as I’m not the best as spannering. Maybe I’ll price it up though and have a look, thanks 😊

stevede
    Free Member

I think Unit Cycles in Truro, Cornwall had some stock of Spires so might be worth a look.

steveh

@dave_robinson1 frame comes with headset and x2 shock, have a serious look at prices as I definitely couldn’t get the bike to look anything other than bad value compared to frame only. Might make it easier to find something too.

dave_robinson1
    Free Member

I managed to find a medium carbon XT build from Quench Cycles, it was an ex demo only ridden a couple of times so managed to get it for £5500! Should be delivered next week 🙌🏻

chakaping
    Free Member

Did you work out how to post pics Steveh?

SteSi
    Free Member

Cheers Stevo!

Glad to hear you loving it…

I think the most incredible thing about the bike is how well it turns in when you initiate a turn, despite Transition’s typically slack geo.

We still have a few left in stock for anyone interested in carbon and aluminium.

…(not my intention to spam the thread, but seemed like a relevant PSA for the discussion!)

steveh

@chakaping I posted a link on the other thread and also some on the Transition owners group on FB.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Transition Spire’ is closed to new replies.