Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Training Peaks – HR only?
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Lots of people seem to think Training Peaks is very good. However is it still useful if you just have HR and not power?

Can you combine training effort in differne disciplies (running and cycling)?

Is there any point to the free version? It looks like you have to pay for anything useful.

rutland
    Free Member

Training Peaks can be used without power. Training Peaks primarily revolves around TSS (Training Stress Score) and, by default, TSS is calculated using pace for running and, if power is not available, HR for cycling. The usefulness of the TSS score is therefore dependent on having accurate threshold pace for running and FTHR for cycling. Even then, TP acknowledge that, when using HR in cycling, the TSS score becomes less accurate / valuable when the activity includes varying efforts, rather than being steady / continuous because of HR lag and drift (whereas as power is instant and a watt is always a watt etc). Similarly,the rTSS score (calculated using running pace) is going to be less accurate when running off-road, trails, fells etc if the threshold pace was based on road / track running.

jonnyboi

The usefulness of the TSS score is therefore dependent on having accurate threshold pace for running and FTHR for cycling. Even then, TP acknowledge that, when using HR in cycling, the TSS score becomes less accurate / valuable when the activity includes varying efforts, rather than being steady / continuous because of HR lag and drift (whereas as power is instant and a watt is always a watt etc).

this, I’ve been training with power for almost two months know and am seeing a reduction in HR for corresponding power output, which means if I was training with HR I would have to be reviewing my training zones accordingly.

mrblobby
    Free Member

What rutland said. I’ll use based on HR every now and again when riding without power (though TBH I could just as accurately guess the TSS based on RPE and duration.)

Very popular with triathletes so I assume it does a good job of running and swimming.

I didn’t even know there was a free version 🙂

sweaman2
    Free Member

The free version is indeed pretty sparse. However it does calculate TSS for power / HR for all the different disciplines. The formulas for CTL/ATL/TSB are on the web and it isn’t that hard to make an Excel spreadsheet version of the PMC….

For me the whole user interface though really needs a refresh as even the paid version seems pretty clunky.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The formulas for CTL/ATL/TSB are on the web and it isn’t that hard to make an Excel spreadsheet version of the PMC….

I have one, PM me if anyone wants a copy. I use it to do a rough season plan based on TSS.

For me the whole user interface though really needs a refresh as even the paid version seems pretty clunky.

It is very dated, and the companion app is crap. This has prompted me to look at alternatives like Todays Plan and Xert the other week which both have a fair bit to offer. Think I’ll stick to Peaks though as I know where i am with it.

ferrals
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ve ditched strava premium as I decided it was pretty worthless so just looking for something so I can keep track of things while I mix up trainer road plans and real riding. Probably need to spend a bit of time understanding the various metrics though

ontor
    Free Member

yes please mrblobby

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ontor, sent.

Ferrals. Usual recommendation would be the Coggan and Allen book, but the Training Peaks faq pages are more than good enough.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Training Peaks – HR only?’ is closed to new replies.