Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Train Drivers – level crossings?
  • Flaperon

I’m sure there are a couple of train drivers on here. Having an argument with Northern at the moment about one of their drivers who sounds a continual high-low-high horn (10 seconds worth) as he pulls out of the station. It’s one of the new trains and is absolutely ****** deafening if you’re stood on the opposite platform.

Northern say that this is because there’s a level crossing at the end of the platform (although it’s one that automatically locks as a train approaches). What are your rules regarding sounding the horn? At 140 dB it’s instant hearing damage to anyone nearby, which the customer service drone didn’t comment on.

mrsheen
    Free Member

New Train?
    Northern?
    Northern train departing?

I’d live with the hearing loss with luck like that.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Ask the Office of Road and Rail Regulation (ORRR).

stanfree
    Free Member

If the level crossing has a board with a W on It , Then the driver has to blow the horn . I doubt he is doing it for a laugh. The Board is probably before the station (like Ladybank) but there is no point in blowing th horn if the train is stopping hence he will blow it as he leaves the station . If he forgets or just dosent do it and is downloaded he will get disciplined by his TOC.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Surely it’s only 140db if your sat on top of the horn . Other wise it’s significantly less and just a bit load.

I assume your not now deaf and it is the latter which is probably why the customer service drive couldn’t care

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’m a northern driver. As Stan says if there’s a whistle board we have to sound our horn because if we dont then we squash someone were in a whole lot of trouble.

project
    Free Member

Possibly the driver may have suffered a “one under” at the crossing or else where, or they have been instructed by senior management to sound doo-dah horn warning as there may have been a risk of idiots jumping the gate.

Also some Merseyrail stations have barriers at platform ends, but drivers never sound a horn, but on Metro link trams drivers always do when starting off.

Perhaps stand to the rear of a departing train, as the sound is made to travel forward, what instrument are you using to measure Decibels.

gobuchul
    Free Member

At 140 dB it’s instant hearing damage to anyone nearby,

Are you sure it’s 140dB? That is unbelievably loud.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

They are 140db. But they point straight forward so nowhere near that to the side

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

A rail user research something properly, then form a reasonable opinion?
    Bit far fetched.

Flaperon

A rail user research something properly, then form a reasonable opinion?
    Bit far fetched.

If I spoke about a customer like that and the comment could be attributed to me, I’d be sacked.

Rail users keep you in a job. We apologise for forcing you to stop at stations so we can get off and on and pay vast amounts of money for the privilege.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Flaperon.

Do you also pay policeman’s wages and firefighters wages etc etc

Because that’s how that comment sounds.

#dailymail

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I like my job. I take a massive amount of pride in how safe my passengers are and my track record. I revise my rule book most days.

Your comments pretty petty and childish. I could go and show my boss actually when I get in work later and not a thing would happen. You would t believe the damage uneducated customers flippantly using Twitter and social media does without having the first idea of what is happening.

Like trail rat said really.

convert

jonnytheleyther, as an outside observer your comment did come across as unnecessarily dickish. The OP started the thread asking for context and information from someone doing the job. That is a customer doing research. To twist your own words….’You wouldn’t believe the damage condescending employees flippantly using social media does to their reputation and standing with the public’.

wwaswas

don’t give up hope OP!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/3151486.stm

People protesting about loud train horns in Brighton have won their battle with rail firm South Central trains for the volume to be turned down.

Residents in Highdown Road, Hove, complained about disturbed sleep after the rail operator introduced a new fleet of trains, at a cost of £850 million, with louder horns.

Protests began in January, with calls for a noise abatement notice to be served on the train company.

Subsequent campaigns included threats of legal action and pyjama protests at Brighton railway station.

More than 60 residents said they were affected.

At one stage, protesters were asked to submit medical proof that the noise was affecting their health.

Now South Central has issued notices to all drivers telling them not to sound their horns in short tunnels around the city.

Spokesman Gary Prodger said: “Sounding the horn when going in and out of tunnels is something that dates back to the steam train days.

“It was really if the tunnels were full of steam so the train driver couldn’t see, but we have many other methods that we use now, if there are track workers in the tunnel.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

The OP started with a side of chip on the shoulder though didn’t it?
    ‘customer service drone’

convert

The OP started with a side of chip on the shoulder though didn’t it?
    ‘customer service drone’

When you are not in your train there must have been a time when you have rung up a customer support line for a random company and been flat batted by someone on the other end reading answers back from a script. Go on, you have haven’t you? We all have. Would ‘drone’ not a be an apt description?

Is that the only thing that riled you into your response?

molgrips
    Free Member

flat batted by someone on the other end reading answers back from a script.

You mean someone whose job it is to read off a script, is being listened to, and will be disciplined if they don’t?

How dare they! They deserve an earful of your finest scorn, don’t they? Serves them right for being on minimum wage!

perchypanther
    Free Member

If only train drivers were more humble.

Like airline pilots.

cheburashka
    Free Member

OP – which level crossing? Let me know and I will do some digging as to whether there is a reason (eg local instruction). From what you describe though it seems excessive. I should add that I am an experienced driver instructor for the company concerned and am competent on the new trains, although I don’t drive them yet and they are only in service on routes I am not familiar with.

Train horns aren’t 140dB either.

Rail Group Standard

simondbarnes

Would ‘drone’ not a be an apt description?

No, it really wouldn’t.

hols2
    Free Member

Train horns aren’t 140dB either.

Standing still, sure. But if the train is coming towards you, won’t the Doppler effect cause a sonic boom?

Kahurangi

won’t the Doppler effect cause a sonic boom

It’ll cause a frequency shift yes, but the trains in this country wouldn’t be causing a sonic boom.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Train Drivers – level crossings?’ is closed to new replies.