Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Trails around Llandovery
  • servo
    Free Member

Me and the wife have a cottage booked near Llandovery.

Any routes/trails that should be on our list?

We hope to get over to Brechfa as well.

Cheers

salad_dodger

Google Cwm Rhaedr. I did Gravelfest a couple of months ago which was a 2 day event based on the outskirts of Llandovery and the riding in the area was very good. Riding round Llyn Brianne was also fantastic with more of an old school xc feel rather than enduro fest. Can’t be more helpful than that unfortunately but I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to the area and explore more of it.

faustus

Doethie Valley ride if you head near Llyn Brianne, Cwm Rhaeadr is great and riding on the plateau above it – Mynydd Mallaen. You could also go the other direction and find routes around Black mountain. Crychan and Irfon forests also have good routes in them, not too far away.

servo
    Free Member

Cwm Rhaeadr sounds great and we are staying in Cilycwm as well!

Llyn Brianne sounds good as well.

Did some riding around Black mountain a few years ago so will try that again.

Cheers!

Ambrose

Above Cwmyrheadr is Mynydd Mallaen, a big open upland that is good for getting lost on and then gives a fantastic descent back down to the valley.

A bit further north, close to Dolgoch Hostel/ Devil’s Staircase is the Tywi Track, mile after mile of wet splashy fun.

The Black Mountain (Mynydd Du) and The Black Mountains some times get confused with each other. One has some great riding but Mynydd Du has far less.Llandovery is on the edge of Mynydd Du.

lardman
    Free Member

Dothie valley was a fab ride when we did it. It was dry (amazingly) then, so not sure of trail conditions in the wet.

servo
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas! Came home on Saturday morning and just about missed the worst of the floods! A40 had lots of small floods but we were eventually stopped by the police at Crickhowell and told to go up to Talgarth. Went up to Hereford and Ross on Wye and came home via Gloucester then Swindon.

Went riding on three of the days.

Day 1 and we had great weather. We did Cwm Rhaeadr which was only 3 miles from the cottage. Long climb and I really liked the red descent. My wife was a bit nervous but enjoyed it, especially the windy bit in the middle.

We went on the road up to Llyn Brianne and the women at the coffee stall said the Doethie Valley was worth it. So we crossed the dam and through the forest to the chapel. Walked up the rocky climb and eventually found the turn down the bridleway. Great track but a bit boggy in places and stream crossings were tricky. We eventually came out and I had a birthday pint at the Towy Bridge Inn. It was 4pm and no food until 6pm but they made chips for us.

Day 2 we went to Brechfa in 20 degree sunshine and we both did the blue and rode up over the top and down to the second car park and had lunch at the Black Lion. My wife did the blue again and I did the red Gorlech trial which had an awful lot of climbing which I don’t mind but it was worth it. Trail was a bit scrappy under all the leaves at the bottom but a good blast.

Day 3 I went out on my own in the rain and tried to get up to Mynydd Mallaennd but it was really wet so I wimped out and did Cwm Rhaeadr again. Slippery rocks in the wet.

Cheers for the tips and maybe next time we can try going south to the Black Mountain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Trails around Llandovery’ is closed to new replies.