Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Trail shorts: what’s good?
  • saxabar
    Free Member

New baggy shorts time. What’s good? Requirements: be available; avoid the dreaded gap between short and knee pad; ideally not too pricey (any non-obvious brands/outlets?); have a decent fastener; and not fall apart within months.

fazzini

I’d have a look on Sports pursuits. Got some cube ones for £10 a while back. Generally always go for Endura/Altura as they last. Tried a couple of random pairs off amazon but they were not that great. Cheap yes.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I like Madison ones. Zenith gives a bit of wet weather protection.

DezB
    Free Member

Race Face, best cut, longest lasting ime

saxabar
    Free Member

Sports Pursuits, a very dangerous site. No bargain shorts though. Zeniths look good, now in the running. Do you know which Race Face? Are they non-weird sizing? Any more options?

chakaping
    Free Member

Zeniths, Troy Lee Ruckus, Nukeproof Nirvana – my three faves.

Saccades
    Free Member

Another vote for Madison zenith, I’ve three sets I lived in for the last 5 years.

The zenith lettering is starting to peel off and the crotch stiching on one started to unravel but it’s all still intact (double stitched).

zezaskar
    Free Member

Huge Endura Singletrack fan here, have two pairs of different generations and they just work.
    Yes, the sizing is weird as you’ll often hear around, yes, there are more fashionable options, but they are really durable, very comfortable and have the right middle ground kind of weight that makes them usable year-round

halifaxpete

Sweet protection shorts for me. Lightweight, seem good quality(been wearing them for over 6 months no with no wear issues so far) look nice and stealthy in black and fit low enough to avoid a thigh gap when I’m in pads.

Otherwise I’ve always liked Endura Humvees.

dyna-ti

I fancy a pair of Tartan trail shorts.

didnthurt

I struggle to find mountain bike shorts that are to my liking I tend to buy simple basic walking shorts instead. My Rab Traverse ones have been ridden a lot over the last couple of years but are still going strong. They look decent off the bike as well.

My criteria for a good pair of mountain bike shorts are:
    – Not too short
    – Not too long
    – Not too baggy
    – Not too tight
    – Simple cut with minimal pockets
    – No big logos
    – No outrageous colours (I save this for the top half 😂)
    – Decent closer (no pop studs)
    – Nice fit around the waist (prefer shorts with an actual waist size instead of the vague small, medium, large sizing)
    – Slight stretch to the material
    – Material that is abrasion resistant
    – Material that that doesn’t weigh a ton when wet and that also dries quickly.
    – Look ok when off the bike
    – And don’t cost £100

Don’t even get me started on my ideal gravel riding shorts 😋😂👍

bsims
    Free Member

I like my madison zeniths as well , waterproof bum sheet that is pretty hard wearing, side zips with mesh and big pockets.

Also, when cold I have some madison dte with fleece lining cause I don’t wear trousers – worth a look for the winter.

DezB
    Free Member

Race Face – it’s Trigger & Indy I’ve got I think. Older models, cos they’ve lasted yonks.
    Found with Madison, though not Zenith, legs were shorter and crotch was lower, weird fit.
    My tip would be to choose a site that offers free returns, or pay by Paypal, so you can claim return postage back.

fazzini

Sports Pursuits, a very dangerous site

Why dangerous?

doomanic

Endura Humvee user here and very happy with them. Always bought as the outgoing season wear to get a bit of discount. All the Endura trews I’ve bought just seem to fit right and are decent quality for the price.

DezB
    Free Member

Why dangerous?

Because it makes people see double the number of ‘S’es than are actually there? 😛

labsey
    Free Member

Endura – lasted at least 7 years and still going strong.

susepic

Another vote for Endura Humvees

brads
    Free Member

Endura Humvee, every time.

cb200
    Free Member

I find the Humvees quite thick and heavy, and the Humvee Lite much more comfortable.

Ever since a PSA on here about reduced Zenith shorts, I bought two pairs and they are always the first shorts I reach for when dressing for a ride.

Edit, with the Zeniths I did find, along with some others, that the gusset/crotch seemed quite high, which is noticeable when first putting them on, but not noticeable when riding.

reeksy

I’ve given up trying to buy any that last more than a year and am now stuck in a warranty loop. I buy a pair, when they wear through after 6 months get the money back and move on to the next pair.

Weirdly (or perhaps not) the longest lasting pair I have are Mountain Design walking shorts – they don’t have the same “four-way stretch” but the fabric is solid. I think I must squirm around in the seat so much I exceed all four directions at the same time!

peekay

I returned a pair of Humvees due to the gap between knee pad and short. Actually I’ve returned, or resold many more pairs of shorts then I’ve kept for the same reason.

Don’t think I’m that strangely proportioned, but being a 30 waist and an average height shorts always seem to be too short when worn with kneepads.

There best ones I’ve found for me are Troy Lee Moto, expensive but seem to last well. I’ve got various other TLD shorts but they get saved for non knee pad days.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I personally leave the tight gap ordeal to the knee pads. I just prefer to use pads that go higher up the leg, those tend to be more comfortable and better stay in place anyway

tommyhine

I’m pretty pleased with the alpkit short i got last summer. very lightweight but so far holding up very well. used them through the winter and still look like new even though they would probably be called a summer short (quite light with no water resistance at all really)

saxabar
    Free Member

Sports Pursuits, a very dangerous site
    Why dangerous?
    Because it makes people see double the number of ‘S’es than are actually there?

And also $pend $pend $pend!

On the TLD motos, good quality, but maybe run a little hot for pedaly days (admittedly rarely a problem in the UK). Anyhow, lots to go at there, and if indecision strikes, dyna-ti’s Tartan trail shorts it is 😉

joepud
    Free Member

Don’t think I’m that strangely proportioned, but being a 30 waist and an average height shorts always seem to be too short when worn with kneepads.

Try being over 6ft not having a gap between your knee pads and short is just a dream. I have taken to wearing longer sock like knee pads from 7idp to make up for it.

chakaping
    Free Member

On the TLD motos, good quality, but maybe run a little hot for pedaly days

Look at the Ruckus then.

Probably the single best pair of MTB shorts I’ve owned. Comfortable, durable, ventilated and have just enough pockets.

snotrag

I was a big fan of Endura MT500s for years, had 3 pairs, but I picked up some Madison Zenith after a PSA here last year – my new favourite shorts. The DWR version appears just as good at keeping my dry as the MT500 did and is better made (Endura taped seams came apart).

They are quite long – almost 3/4 length, so no enduro-gap, really well designed, proper waist fixings and fly (unlike Fox, they must like a breeze down the old chap in California), and I really like the weird sort of ‘back of your hip’ pocket which is a strange place but works great for your phone etc when pedalling.

I’ve got this colour, half price here if your a small!

Zenith DWR

Half price

This years colours are all bit dull unfortunately. £75 RRP, I’d pay that having owned them now.

oikeith

I struggled with shorts till I took a punt on the Pearl Izumi Summit shorts, picked up several pairs and have they have lasted years with many miles on them.

jimmy

£75 RRP, I’d pay that having owned them now.

Don’t forget STW members get 20% off at Freewheel using the special magic code.

honourablegeorge

+1 for the Ruckus. Have jut worn through mine and I’m gutted. Will buy them again.

fathomer

For good quality and fit at a reasonable price, I really like my Nukeproof Outland shorts.

andydt82

To anyone with them, what’s the waist fit like on the Madison Zenith shorts? I have the medium trousers and really like them, but I can only get the waist tight enough with an inch of zelcro overhanging on each side (even with lockdown weight gain 😉 ). I’ve covered the velcro hooks with a length of ‘fuzzy’ side velcro, but it still snags on tops sometimes.

bruneep

not Zenith, legs were shorter and crotch was lower, weird fit.

Found that as well.

Endura Humvee and MT500 shorts. The Endura elastic tape measure plays havoc with what size to buy, I have a mix of M & L shorts 🤷‍♂️

stevomcd
    Free Member

Really liking my 100% shorts at the moment. R-Core X for uplift days and Airmatic for pedally days.

Have lasted really well. R-core X were my first pick option all of last summer and still look great.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Trail shorts: what’s good?’ is closed to new replies.