Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Traditional wool sweater.
  • lotto
    Free Member

I’d like to give a traditional wool sweater a shot for bimbles on the bike, bouldering, general walking. Like the look of the old, thin white ones from mountaineering pictures back in the day, Heros of Telemark type thing. Anyone any recommendations where to look/what to buy?

stox
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure what you’re looking for but I can recommend these guys – who just happens to be a friend of mine 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Then no link stox. Thats cruel.

Alpkit did some for a bit but ibthink they were in clearance about two months ago

lotto
    Free Member

Something like a Dachstein jumper but lighter ideally.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Woolovers

stox
    Free Member

Sorry, haven’t mastered the link! Help?!

His company is ‘Glencroft Countrywear’

zippykona
    nedrapier

Have a look at Finisterre, too.

dovebiker

Devold.com if you want a traditional Norwegian sweater – good but not cheap.

lotto
    Free Member

Thanks Stox. I’ve ordered from GlenCroft. Seem like a great little British company. I’m happy that it is all British wool and made in the UK.

stox
    Free Member

That’s good to hear Lotto! Glad I could help

CountZero

For a proper outdoor wool sweater it ought to be a Gansey or a Guernsey, Gansey’s are from up around Robin Hood Bay, Flamborough Head, that sort of area, but a genuine hand-knitted one’s expensive, because they’re knitted on five steel needles, in the round, so no seams, and no front or back, so wear can be spread out. £460 is a wee bit out of my reach at the mo’, but if I bought one now, it would probably outlast me!
    Guernsey’s are a bit cheaper, they’re not so complicated to knit.
    For anyone interested in real local craft:
    https://www.flamboroughmanor.co.uk/flamboroughmarine/ganseys.htm

lotto
    Free Member

That’s an amazing link CountZero. Good to see there is a lot of old skills being utilised. Certainly paying for the quality though. I wonder how weather proof it really is?

funkmasterp

£460 is a wee bit out of my reach at the mo

Is that a typo? It better be a magical jumper for that kind of money if not. That’s more than I’ll spend on jumpers in a life time. Is it made from the Golden Fleece?

Edit – just clicked the link. My gran used to knit them for my Action Man figures back in the early 80’s

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Traditional wool sweater.’ is closed to new replies.