Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tractor tyre sealant anyone?
  • devbrix
    Free Member

Spotted some relatively cheap tyre sealant (£9.90/1.25l) on a trip to the local farmers merchant. For ‘off road’ use so clearly has potential in a MTB tyre and says seals holes up to 12mm apparently which is not surprising as you can see the rubber granules in the liquid. Anyone have any experience of using it?

DickBarton

Bound to work but how easy will it be to get the rubber bits through the valve stem? They look a bit chunky…

robj20
    Free Member

Looks interesting under £10 on eBay as well.

transporter13
    Free Member

Been using it for over a year now.. Works fine. For reference @dickbarton I use schraeder tubeless valves and the tube that comes with it is a pressure fit over it and doesn’t leak. For presta I’d suggest maybe a large diameter syringe and some smaller piping or simply pour it in before inflating as most of us do.

Saves loads when you have 6 bikes in the household over the more established brands.
    Recently tried it on my car as I woke up to a flat tyre from what looks like where I may have driven over some broken glass and it’s actually sealed the slash well. That was about 10 days ago and the tyre is still holding the required pressure so I can’t fault the stuff yet.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I use it on various quads, trailers and a fat bike (with schrader valves). Works miracles on the agricultural stuff and haven’t had a puncture on the fat bike.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Few OKO variants for bikes at PX, including 800ml extreme that should seal up to 7mm splits for eight squids.

kayla1
    Free Member

We used it for a bit but it seemed to work best if you dilute it slightly with water to get it to flow into any small gaps and it took a few rides to get it to properly seal. Adding water can also bring it back to life if it’s dried out a bit in the tyre too. We’ve got Schrader valves on our wheels.

For presta I’d suggest maybe a large diameter syringe and some smaller piping or simply pour it in before inflating as most of us do. banging an 8mm drill through your rims and using proper valves instead of those stupid fragile roadie ones that are still being pushed for some unknown reason. I mean, hell’s teeth, they use Schrader valves on superbikes that can do 200mph so they must be good enough for MTB.

Fixed 😉

jamesoz

It’s particularly good for Pro Core as it doesn’t clog the valves and doesn’t cause my skin to react.
    It also washes off stuff way easier than latex based sealant such as Stan’s or the OKO bike specific sealant (which is more like Stan’s than their tractor sealant).
    However it doesn’t seal porous sidewalls as well or help glue the tyre in place.

avdave2

I use an OKO one designed for off road vehicles, I use 2 parts of it to 1 part water and I use a big syringe with presta valves. It’s actually the only sealant I’ve ever used, I’ve not seen any sign of it fixing a puncture but neither have I had any flats so it either works or I’m very lucky 😊

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I used it in my fat bike where it was fine (and cheap). But……

Its not as good as bike specific stuff. I actually asked soneone at Planet X when I was there as they were selling the OKO bike stuff.

Apparently it’s down to natural Vs synthetic latex. The tractor stuff simply wont seal a tyre at 30psi, 10psi it was fine but higher and it wont work. I tried it in my road bike at 90psi and it wouldn’t hold air overnight, switched to stans and it stays up for weeks.

So basicly its great for a fat bike where you dont want to use £10 of Stans Race in each tyre.

patagonian
    Free Member

Totally agree with adave2.

konanige

Most of our tractor tyres run between 25- 35 Psi, so don’t know about the 10 psi limit. Also doesn’t go off in tyre like Stans so lasts much longer, imagine having to put in 20 bottles every 6 months!!

dmilne
    Free Member

I use this on some of my bikes, (29ers and 2.3ish tyres) slightly diluted, it’s far more viscous than stans. I liked the price and I recall reading that as it’s water based it tends not to dry out if you ride in wetter areas.

Generally it’s been good the tyres all seat and seal nicely. Recently I have been riding on rockier trails and had a puncture that would not seal trail side. Sealed with a little bit of Stans once home thought.

That blend seems to have held up well since though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Most of our tractor tyres run between 25- 35 Psi, so don’t know about the 10 psi limit.

Perhaps the thicker rubber makes it easier to seal? Dunno, I just found it worked less effectively the higher the pressure up until the road bike where it wouldn’t make a tyre airtight and wouldn’t seal punctures.

NS
    Free Member

I’ve been using the OKO Offroad Sealant for a few weeks in 2.6 Maxxix tyres & seems fine.
    I diluted 50/50 with water – I am losing about 1.5 psi a week from the tyres, maybe I have diuted a little too much??

devbrix
    Free Member

Thanks everyone will definitely give it a go👍

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tractor tyre sealant anyone?’ is closed to new replies.