• This topic has 35 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by ajaj.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Tracing a car after a crash?
  • stevied
    Free Member

I got hit by a car last week who then drove off leaving no details.
    I have part of the reg number (and make/model) and have seen the car again so it must be fairly local to me.
    Is there a way of looking for possible cars in my area?
    I did report the crash to the police but, without all the relevant info, they don’t seem to be able to help and the other driver does not appear to have reported the accident.

garage-dweller

I’d have thought partial plate, location, colour, make and model, and leaving the scene the Police ought to be making some enquiries. Beyond that pass to insurers.

stevied
    Free Member

It’s been passed to insurers already. When I spoke to the police (via 101) they didn’t seem to have any more info or make any suggestions that they could follow it up.

andrewh
    Free Member

For ‘leaving the scene of an accident’ I would e taking it up with a more senior officer.
    Partial number plate plus make, model and colour will give them very few potentials very quickly. What garage-dweller said.
    Was it on your commute? Chances are it was on his/hers too, do they do that route regularly? How long are you prepared to stand at the side of the road watching…
    How much damage? Ask at local body-shops?

revs1972
    Free Member

Just tell the police you saw an Extinction Rebellion sticker on it and 6 officers will magically appear to deal with it………….

😋

stevied
    Free Member

Just been in touch with the police and, as I didn’t report it at the local station there’s nothing more they can do.
    I called 101 to report and wasn’t told I would need to report it, in person, to the station by the person I spoke to.
    I thought the idea of 101 was to report things to the police. Had I know I had to go to the station too I would have 😠

andrewh
    Free Member

Why can’t you go and report it now? Surely last week is recent enough? I wouldn’t expect them to do much if it happened in 1987 but early October shouldn’t be too hard

DezB
    Free Member

I had a partial reg no. and a make and model – I went on one of those tyre buying sites and tried different combos of reg until I got the right one. At least then you’d have the full plate.

NZCol

^ I did same when i was hit on my bike. I wrote a script to do it automagically and it matched in seconds. Will see if I still have it !

oliverracing

^ I did same when i was hit on my bike. I wrote a script to do it automagically and it matched in seconds. Will see if I still have it !

Love it. As soon as this was mentioned I thought “I wonder how hard it would be to script that” – turns out wouldn’t need to! Plus you can then authenticate on DVLA to check the colour etc is correct, I’ve tried a few combinations manually but gave up after 30 mins! If you do have the script I would be interested as had an altercation with a car last month and it was missing it’s front plate and the rear had three letters obscured with a conveniently placed mud splat (on an otherwise immaculate Audi Q something)

mashr

The MOT Checker site would be even better than a tyre one

stevied
    Free Member

Will see if I still have it

Please say you do…. 🙂

boomerlives
    Free Member

and have seen the car again so it must be fairly local to me.

Is that twice you have failed to get the reg? Jeez, get a GoPro

NZCol

The MOT checker one has a WAF in front of it that starts to throttle scripted queries 😉

TiRed

When I was left on the road for dead, all I had was the colour and the model. I didn’t lose enough memory! This was corroborated and the police found the driver in a few days.

She almost went to prison. I presume you were not injured? Leaving the scene can be a serious offence.

CheesybeanZ

Did you see it the 2nd time in the same area as the hit n run ?

stevied
    Free Member

Yep, same road, approx 1/2 mile from the H&R.
    Think I need to do a stakeout…

NZCol, did you have a chance to see if you’ve still got the script thingamajig?

CheesybeanZ

Think I need to do a stakeout…

Check for cctv in the earea and take a camera with you .

stevied
    Free Member

No CCTV as it’s a country lane. Will sit and wait as I guess it’s their commute route

breninbeener

You can still report this and the partial rwg can be searched on PNC. Tell them this and if nothing happens get the collar number of who you spoke to/officer dealing and make a complaint.

breninbeener

A road traffic collision doesnt need a notice of intended prosecution as you are expected to know when you have been in a collision.

stevied
    Free Member

I now have a plate which I think I’d right.
    Comes up as the right sort of car, right colour on DVLA.
    Spoke to 101 again, nothing the police can do as I only had a partial and didn’t get the full reg within 48 hours.
    Hopefully the insurance can do something with it.
    An address would be good to see if there’s any damage…

Cougar

Why do you care?

I mean, yes, catching criminals and all that. But you’ve only got vague / partial information, “probably” won’t cut it with the police (“definitely” is hard enough). Your insurance will pay out, the MIB has a pot of money set aside for this sort of thing.

stevied
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you care if someone in 1.5 tonnes of steel drove their car on the wrong side nearly causing a head on collision?
    I am now aware that the police cannot do anything but if my insurance can use the info to prevent us being the ones who foot the bill (increased premium, excess etc) then I’m all for doing all I can to get as much info as I can.
    The person who hit me thinks (and very well may have) got away with it.

finishthat
    Free Member

Spoke to 101 again, nothing the police can do as I only had a partial and didn’t get the full reg within 48 hours.

Be polite but persistent the above is complete BXXXX . Write a short note to your PCC , it will be dealt with if you make enough fuss , the police are overloaded with work , so only deal with what has to be done or gets escalated to be dealt with. Sorry its just how things are in what Theresa made for you.

Greybeard
    Free Member

The requirement to report the full details of the suspect vehicle within 48 hours seems unusual to me. You have been making enquiries to trace it. Some crimes are not reported for years and still get investigated. Can any police officers on the Forum comment?

DezB
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you care if someone in 1.5 tonnes of steel drove their car on the wrong side nearly causing a head on collision?

Causes presidential involvement insome cases. Obviously wouldn’t if a cyclist is hit & run.

martinhutch

How dare you do their job for them too slowly!

As above, start a complaint rolling.

ajaj
    Free Member

What are you hoping to get out of police involvement? If you didn’t suffer any injury and nothing was damaged then you don’t really stand to gain much.

If, on the other hand, there is something not mentioned in this thread to be gained by an investigation, are the police aware?

stevied
    Free Member

Email to PCC sent. Thanks for the advice 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

and nothing was damaged then you don’t really stand to gain much

The car I was driving has been damaged and I would imagine theirs is too.

DezB
    Free Member

The car I was driving

I’ve been duped!

NZCol

Just coming back to this we had a few questions asking – had a hunt around my machines and vms and can’t find it so suspect it was dumped. Sorry !

Bear
    Free Member

Had similar, hit by a car that just came straight out of a junction. Partial plate, make and colour. Tracked it down reported to police. Absolutely nothing done has caused our insurance to go up and we had to pay the excess obviously. Pursue them if you can.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Sorry its just how things are in what Theresa made for you.

They were lazy and disinterested when St Tony was at the helm

ajaj
    Free Member

“lazy and disinterested”

There are 122,000 police officers in England and Wales, of which 113,000 (Source: Home Office) are sergeants or constables doing useful, non-admin work. 20% of police work is solving crime (source: HMIC). That gives you 5 million days/year available.

There were 6 million recorded crimes per year (source: ONS). Failing to stop is not a notifiable offence so not in that 6 million. Each crime therefore gets 5/6th of a day to investigate, prepare a case and prosecute. Just turning up to court will take a whole day. Clearly there has to be some prioritisation.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Tracing a car after a crash?’ is closed to new replies.