Home Forums Bike Forum TPU emergency tubes

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • TPU emergency tubes
  • burko73

I haven’t bothered with carrying a spare tube but thinking about it for a couple of longer rides/ overnighters.

I see tubolitos are still available, I seem to remember mixed reviews, but also wtb versions that are double the price as well as Pirelli versions (smart tube) that look reasonable ish. I was thinking after a tubeless puncture that I managed to seal with anchovies on the weekend that I ought to get one for each bike (different wheel sizes) if travelling a bit further.

Any recent experience/ thoughts/ advice?

Kramer
    Free Member

Last time I used one, it just failed straight off. But that was a few years ago. I’m carrying another brand now, because they are just so much smaller than other tubes.

sharkattack

I was temped by Tubolito BMX tubes because they’re a cost effective weight saving on a chunky bike. One of them wasn’t correctly welded around the valve area and leaked. One had no visible damage and still leaked. Both went straight back for a refund.

There ends my entire Tubolito experience.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve used a RideNow TPU tube in an emergency and it worked perfectly.

cookeaa

I’m using RideNow TPU on my Road bike.

They’ve been fine apart from one flat caused by a chunk of glass dead centre on the front which only manifested as a slow flat, that would definitely have taken out a butyl tube. The replacement TPU tube went up without issue and is still fine, I popped a patch on the holed one and it’s still inflated on a spare wheel (I wanted to see how well a patched one would work).

Biggest drawback (IMO) is that you apparently can’t use CO2 with them (cryogenic effect makes the TPU go brittle and fail apparently), as a result I’ve been eyeing up one of those compact ‘Cycplus’ portable leccy inflators (or similar) cause I’m too lazy to pump.

I’m going to be ordering some more TPU tubes they ride better and are more compact to cary as spares, but I’m not paying Tubolito money that’s just stupidly expensive.

bikesandboots

We did this in some depth a little while back if it helps https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tpu-tubes-any-good-as-spares/

mtb1234
    Free Member

Lots of negativity about Tubolito in the old thread. My experience was very good though. Fitted one in a rear wheel about 9 months ago, when a puncture just wouldn’t seal. I didn’t bother going back tubeless and left it in until I fitted a new tyre last week. No problems with it at all during that time. Not fragile – I’ve definitely bashed the rim a couple of times hard enough to pinch flat a butyl tube – and holds air better too.

burko73

I was thinking of getting a couple of the Pirelli versions. Look better value and a little more robust perhaps?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.