Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • towing bicycle trailers
  • loopyloop
    Free Member

Hi guys!
    Does anybody know of any dedicated trailers in which bikes can be towed? Like the ones that look like a long rack on wheels that you sometime see being towed full of bikes around trail centres. What are they called? Whhere do I find stuff about them online?
    Thanks.

geoffj

Try here: Burtech Trailers

loopyloop
    Free Member

tHanks! damn they’re expensive… any others? Like for 2-3 bikes (as opposed to 6)?

fisha
    Free Member

buy a cheap halfords one ( or second hand ), then rig up the metal supports …. very easy to do

geoffj

For 2-3 bikes you could get a regular trailer with a cover and then fit roof bars and cycle carriers – you sometimes see them set up like that outside Halfords.

Or just get a tow bar mounted carrier?

loopyloop
    Free Member

Can you guys show me what kind of regular trailer you mean, please? If one that could be covered or somehow locked, then so much the better. Had a tow bar one… hugely impractical, plus too much at hand for everyone to remove components, vandalise, whatever.

geoffj

You can add universal bars to an erde trailer like this.

Erde trailers – HERE

Universal load bars look half way down the page

You can then add thule roof bar mounts.

HTH

loopyloop
    Free Member

Oh, yes, I get you. I already use Thule roof bars and carriers…. may be the way to go. Then I’d have to find a way to close the entire thing in and lock it. Thanks again.

geoffj

you can get lockable hardtops for the trailers which work with the bars too. If that’s what you meant?

james
    Free Member

How is a towbar mounted rack MORE impractical than a trailer?
    You have to go 50mph everyhere, hook it on, have somewhere to store it, will make finding parking space more difficult (making shops, pubs, (accomadation) while on a biking (day)trip all the more difficult to park for), pay more on tolls (should there be any), is an AA van allowed to tow the car AND trailer? When you take the wrong turning on that back lane can you reverse half a mile to find a suitable turning round point? And as this thread is showing can be/are expensive and/or require building up from a trailer and seperate bike rack

Theres a fair few towbar mounted bike racks that tilt out of the way of the bootlid if thats one of your needs/concerns/issues:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘towing bicycle trailers’ is closed to new replies.