Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tow bar rack for long wheelbase bikes
  • beamishblue

I’m looking for a tow bar rack for my Passat estate. I currently have an XXL Hightower with a wheelbase of 1255mm but I could see myself getting a bike with an even longer wheelbase in the future (Pole, Cotic, Geometron etc).

Does anyone know the best bike rack for bikes with a long wheelbase? It would need to be able to carry 3 bikes minimum.

5plusn8
    Free Member

My pendle heavy duty 4 bike rack takes my mates xl reign at 1258.

konanige

So what we are saying is this longer, lower, slacker thing is all a conspiracy by bike rack companies to make us buy new racks??

matt_outandabout

The bigger issue in my experience is actually increased width at dropout and forks. The usual bike jigsaw to avoid them rubbing in each other is now really complex.
    Trying to get three boost / big boned bikes onto our Thule is becoming a real challenge – and forget about the 4th bike adaptor.

SirHC

Thule 928 will take up to 1250ish with modifications to the wheel strap mounting holes, you have to extend the slots.

Exiting slot is on the left, slot extended right

928 mod

Tracey

We upgraded our old Thule 4 bike to a new VeloSpace XT due to this becoming a problem with longer bikes, bigger wheels and ebikes. Got the fourth bike adapter and was impressed by how much more room we had for 4 29ers compared to the old one on the 2 times we used it. Bought a Tourneo Custom LWB in the black Friday deals so haven’t needed to use it since. With a couple of back seats removed four bikes is no problem.

hatter

+1 For the Velospace XT, that’s exactly what it’s deigned for.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Also came here to mention the Velospace XT – as hatter says it is designed for longer wider bikes than most racks.

tetrode
    Free Member

Velospace XT looks good but pricey! Any cheaper options than that? Will be following this thread as I’ll most likely be picking up a large transition sentinel at some point in the next 6 months and will need a way to transport it!

blurty

Thule easyfold takes a Cotic Rocket XL with plus wheels & 3″ tyres.

Works well, f*****g expensive though

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/thule_easyfold_xt_folding_2_bike_carrier_no_933/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4urewQYk8

beamishblue

Thanks for all the help. I contacted the Roofbox Company and they recommended this one. You can fit an additional mount for a third bike. Has anyone any experience of it?

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/all-products/atera_strada_e_bike_ml_2_bike_carrier_no_ar2696/Qx%40w%2C6M4PHS%2CZGenkQvEN%7BmOBj

ThePinkster

Does it have to be a wheel mounting rack or would a hanging rack be OK?

MaxxRaxx cycle rack sounds like it’d do the job as there’s no restriction on the wheelbase as the bike’s hung from the top-tube, and as the cradles can be slid along the top beam the dropout spacing isn’t such an issue either.

I have one of these and a wheel mounting rack and since going back to a flange tow bar (couldn’t use the swan-neck mount on the MaxxRaxx as it stopped the Alko hitch on the caravan fitting properly) this is normally my go-to rack as it’s quick & easy to fit to the car & hang bikes from.

RustyMac

There have been quite a few people on here report of positive experiences with the Atera Strada racks, have a quick search and hopefully a few will pop up.

General consensus is good rack, works well with the tilt system.

StuF

An obvious(?) tip someone pointed out to me was to spin the bars round by 180 (if your handlebar doesn’t clip the frame) this will then shorten the wheelbase, making it easier to go on a normal rack

somouk
    Free Member

I use a velospace XT for my long 29er and it fits no problems at all.

singlespeedstu

I contacted the Roofbox Company and they recommended this one. You can fit an additional mount for a third bike. Has anyone any experience of it?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2a5nWZj]Atera Ebike ML rack.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickreat Great rack and takes a large G16 with ease.
    1328 wheelbase.

beamishblue

Great, thanks for that!

Fat-boy-fat

Has anyone got experience with those Whispbar racks on roof box? My Atera Strada is getting knackered and I’m thinking about replacing it with one of these.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tow bar rack for long wheelbase bikes’ is closed to new replies.