Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Tow ball carrier or roof mount.
  • Jordan

What is the current wisdom regarding the above choices?

I already own an older model Thule Rideon 3 tow ball mount carrier. It’s in as new condition but is a touch short on the wheelbase for the new bike but I think I could fix that issue with a bit of guttering. The vertical supports are very basic but probably ok.

Current car doesn’t have a towball but I reckon I could buy and fit one for less than the price of a couple of roof mounts such as Thule Proride(possible carbon frame issues?) or Thule Upride and the cross bars to fit them to.

But, which is the smarter choice in terms of safety/security?

feed

I have both on my car. Usually prefer tow bar as most forestry car parks around here have height restriction barriers. Don’t think either provide much security. Throw locks on the bikes to the car chassis if parked up for a while.

mashr

But, which is the smarter choice in terms of safety/security

Wouldn’t trust my bike on either, certainly not without a massive chain being employed somewhere.

leffeboy

For security I think it is easier to put a bunch of D locks between your bikes when on a tow bar than when on the roof.  I don’t like locks bashing around on a bike while driving so I stick them on when I stop somewhere along with a cable through the rack.  Not ideal really but it’s the best solution i;’ve found so far

Jordan

Sorry folks, I worded that badly. I meant safety/security of the bikes while moving rather than theft. I will be using a chain lock and in that respect the tow ball option gives a more solid anchor I suppose.

daern
    Free Member

Providing you can keep yourself from driving into car park height barriers, then I would personally say that they are safer on the roof, both from being hit from behind and also targeted by light-fingered types when sitting immobile in traffic. They are also (IMHO) easier to load and because there’s a lot more space on the roof than on the rear carrier, less likely to have issues caused by multiple bikes rubbing against each other. Neither option is remotely secure from theft, unless socking great chains are used. Even then, I wouldn’t consider leaving bikes on the car unless I can see them at all times.

If you have plastic bikes, you may want to choose your carriers with care anyway, as the normal down-tube clamping variety aren’t especially kind if you’re into your lightweight carbon bikes. I can recommend Thule’s “UpRide” as a decent roof-mounted solution for this, but there are alternative for both rear and roof mounted carriers.

Downsides of being on the roof is impact to fuel economy on a long journey and the general faff of getting the thing on and off if you don’t want to leave it on all of the time – it’s much harder to remove roof carriers / racks than it is to remove a tow-bar mounted carrier! My personal solution to this is to ride more so that you’re using it at least 3-4 times a week and can thus justify leaving it on the car all of the time 🙂

As a parting anecdote, a friend had his entire family’s bikes trashed on a tow-bar carrier when he was rear-ended turning into the trail centre car park, including his brand new Capra. Not a happy man that day, not least because he’d driven an hour to get there and had to turn straight back round and drive home as the bikes were all unrideable!

Jordan

Nothing is perfect I guess. When I used the towball rack I used to flinch every time I got a bit close to a hedge or fence for fear of catching a wheel. If I go roof mount I’ll probably flinch everytime I go under a low branch.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Had both and much prefer the tow ball mounted route. Ideally I’d like to go back to a vehicle with enough room to carry them inside 🙂

ta11pau1

Inside a van, wheels on its the first choice but a towbar comes a close 2nd.

My XXL bike overhangs a little both sides and I’ll admit I flinch a little when a car comes the other way on a narrow road.

There’s not much affect on fuel economy either, maybe 5mpg at motorway speeds. I can still get 50+mpg sitting at 65mph.

stevious

Currently have roof mount but if it was possible with my car I’d go back to tow bar. Mostly because of the height barrier thing – they’re either a faff to deal with or and expensive mistake. There’s also the noise element as well.

garage-dweller

I have been a big advocate of roof carriers (if you search my previous thread and comments) but having just swapped out the estate for an SMax there’s a tow bar rack on its way to me.

Partly that’s a height thing and partly it’s down to wanting to carry both kayaks and bikes at once for holidays and partly it’s the howling of empty racks. Because the SMax roof rack isn’t as easy to remove and solo lifting up a block of four bike carriers and aero bars ain’t happening (which I could do fairly easily onto the roof railed estate).

beaney
    Free Member

Having owned both, each have their merits.

Previously had a towbar mount for wife’s 4×4 as i had a company car and didn’t want to keep changing roof bars. Also being a short arse, I couldn’t reach the roof! It was easy to get the bikes on/off but a pain not being able to get in to the boot. It was also annoying when somebody crashed in to the back of me when i was stationary in traffic!

Now have roof bars on my estate, and that’s easily reachable, and easy to get the (Xc bike) on. I leave the wing bars and holder on all the time (and do approx 28k per year), and the noise of the bars and holder doesn’t make a difference to me. It does take about 2 or 3 mpg off, but it also saves having to constantly take the bars on and off!

Depends on what you’ve got and what compromises you’re willing to put up with!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Had both too. Roof bars every time for routine weekly duties, just leave the rack on, bikes loaded and unloaded in seconds. Even for tow bar racks that slide out of the way of the tailgate they still get in the way of access to the boot, at some point you will bash your shin on them and unless you’re parking in a car park they are a PITA to park in lay-bys and by the side of the road amongst other cars, and get in the way if you’re backing up to bushes and walls while doing three point turns or manoeuvring in tight car parks. I only used my tow bar system when carrying more than 2 bikes (my smax was too tall to put more than two bikes not the roof) or when going on holiday on long motorway cruises…alot quieter and more fuel efficient.

Forget about security with either option. the best you can hope for is to deter opportunists that happen to be passing by. Anyone who’s tooled up and determined to run off with your bikes will have them. But at least they won’t be breaking into your car to nick bikes which they will do if you have them in the boot.

cultsdave
    Free Member

I have both and use them both depending on the situation. Through the winter I always use the roof mounted ones and or throw the bike in the boot. I find the bike is more protected from the salty gunk when on the roof so when you arrive to go biking your brakes actually work.
    In the summer it depends on how far I am traveling and if the roof rack is on the car or not but generally I prefer the tow bar rack.

Advantages of the tow bar rack is the speed in which it can be attached to the car. 2 bikes can easily be mounted as you just leave the middle of 3 spaces empty, meaning the bikes don’t touch. 3 bikes can be a total pain especially with full sus frames with shocks in the way etc. I find the tow bar rack also significantly reduces fuel consumption too, just not as much as the roof.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

will you keep the bars on your call fulltime? it can be a ballache fitting and refitting for certain feet and bars.
    i kept on my rack on my last car for a few years, removing it infrequently.
    (it was a peugeot 3 door, and the back rack was clamped around the roof, i over tightened it and dented the roof, if you have 5 doors, the majority of thule feet have a pin to slot in the door frame, so unlikely you will overtighten it)

i now have a towbar buzzrack scorpion ii e-rack, recommended on here, its expensive circa £300, but its quick to put on and sturdy and folds up really small for storage.. in terms of the towbar vw wanted £680 plus VAT and a slow turnaround, local towbar man £260 all in, and fitted it 2 days later.

i’m happier with the towbar and i feel less sidewind drag. but yes I usually flinch on narrow roads especially with my 29er

scotroutes

Having transported bikes professionally for a few years, I’d recommend the towbar option.

Easier to load.

More fuel efficient.

No headroom worries.

Easier to secure bikes when parked.

Less sidewind effect.

Towbar rack can be easily removed so less wind noise and fuel use when not carrying bikes.

dmorts

I’d prefer a towbar mount, but the prices I’ve been quoted are astronomical. Starting around £500-600, with a large difference between bypass or custom loom wiring. This is from fitters who come recommended

dmorts

Does having bypass wiring affect the car warranty at all?

oikeith

@dmorts I had a removable towbar fitted to my 2015 Passat by a mobile fitter for £375, your price does sound high.

OP, I only have a towbar rack the same one as you actually, I also used to wince when going down narrow hedged roads, but it was okay and the only damage I had was to the wheel holders which would crack from the front wheel wobbling as the wheelbase was quite long. I then purchased a Scorpion Rack which holds it vertically on the towbar and love it, quick and easy to load and the bike is less in harms way.

I did recently get a new car and did consider going roofbars, the price between roof bars and getting a towbar fitted were similiar, I was looking at the bars which held the front wheel and not the carbon frame of my bike, but in the end it was the thought of me driving into a car park with barrier or low branches and doing damage which put me off mainly, then the MPG impacts or longer runs and also leaving the bars on advertising on the drive that there are bkes in the garage at the end

wzzzz
    Free Member

roof bar rack

tow bar racks are annoying if you want to chuck dirty kit in the boot or get changed under the hatch

plus you need to pay for a tow bar

orangespyderman

I have both, and the only reason I would ever choose a roof rack over the tow bar rack is if the car didn’t have a tow bar. I have roof bars and a rack on the car that doesn’t have a tow bar but all that ends up happening is that I ensure I always take the other car with the tow bar and rack. Easier to load and unload, secure when parked, better for driving, better if the bikes are a bit clarty and you can’t rinse them down.

Just loads better.

StuF

if your bike is a bit long, try rotating the handlebars 180deg, made my Soul fit on some old thule racks

wobbliscott
    Free Member

secure when parked,

Neither are secure.

Clearly people have different experiences and peoples definition of ‘better’ is different. But neither option is secure in any way shape or form and you could have bikes off them in a matter of seconds. Whatever your reasons for choosing between the options then security should not be a factor in the decision. You leave bikes on any rack overnight and the chances are when you return to the car the bikes will be gone.

I did leave my bikes on a rack overnight in a Premier Inn carpark once but….it was in the middle of nowhere so less chance of an opportunist their happening by, I parked right under a bright security light with a dirty big CCTV camera trained on the vehicle, and it wasn’t in a particularly dodgy area and I had about three cable locks and a big D-Lock securing all the bikes to each other and to the rack. Despite that I went to bed thinking the chances of the bikes still being on thew rack when I woke up was 50/50. Normally I take the bikes into the hotel room with me and would check with the hotel that was OK. This was not a planned overnight stop.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My next rack will be a seasucker. Expensive, but the compromises work for me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Clearly people have different experiences and peoples definition of ‘better’ is different. But neither option is secure in any way shape or form and you could have bikes off them in a matter of seconds.

Depends on the rack.

My towbar rack has a hoop cut into the flange plate to loop the lock through. From past experience the flange bolts are only coming off with an angle grinder after a few years of road salt!

It’s as secure as they can be really. I’m happy leaving it anywhere I’d be happy locking the bike up generally.

Jordan

Wow! Many different opinions to think about, and there was I, hoping for a definitive answer Lol. Cheers all!

The cost of towbar fitting isn’t really an issue for me. I can get a towbar for about £100 and fit it myself and a diy bypass wiring kit can be had for around £25.

That Scorpion rack looks good. I quite like the verticle idea. Had a look at the Saris Gran Fondo for that reason but have an inherant mistrust of anything held on with straps.

Hadn’t thought of turning the bars 180. Will give it a try and see how much it shortens the bike. It’s a fairly long wheelbase 29er so narrow roads will be a worry with it across the back.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The cost of towbar fitting isn’t really an issue for me. I can get a towbar for about £100 and fit it myself and a diy bypass wiring kit can be had for around £25.

I did just that, it works fine as long as:
    Your car isn’t canbus.
    You use terminal strip connectors, not the hateful scotchblocks.
    You use a relay kit, don’t wire it directly.

Jordan

@thisisnotaspoon B6 Passat Estate, it is Canbus but various forum threads suggest that the bypass relay will work fine with it.

superfli
    Free Member

No one mentioned how filthy they’re car gets if using roof mounted bike racks? Washing the bike after ride and drips streak over the car, or lumps of mud of not washed.
    Roof mounted, extremely quick to load/unload. Bad on fuel and car cleaning.
    Towbar, better fuel economy, keeps car clean. Can be awkward to load multiple bikes, also risk of damage. Slower to load/unload.

I have both, but have gone back to towbar with new car.

Jordan

OK, thanks for everyone’s input. Despite the fact that I already have the towball carrier I have decided to try roof mounts. Firstly, I really don’t like that the wheels stick out the sides a bit and I have been known to occasionally clip hedges when cornering on narrow roads. I think I am more likely to be aware of low hanging dangers to the bike as I should see them coming. Secondly, was talking to the OH about it and she said “why not get roof mounts and they could be used on my car if needed”. So, decision made.

Cue…another thread.

Oh..anyone wanna buy a barely used Thule Rideon?

orangespyderman

No one mentioned how filthy they’re car gets if using roof mounted bike racks? Washing the bike after ride and drips streak over the car, or lumps of mud of not washed.

I think you’ll find… 🙂

better if the bikes are a bit clarty and you can’t rinse them down

Jordan

My car is always covered in shyte.

cookeaa

From a convenience point of view I’d prefer to be putting them on the back, I’ve currently got roof mounted carriers for an MPV which means clambering about with bikes held aloft and standing on door sills while trying to mount/adjust/lock things in place. then you need to consider height restrictions in carparks, possibly on ferries also…
    The only real advantage is less upfront cost, not needing to get a towbar/electrics/lighting in adition to the carrier, but it’s not much of an advantage really…

If it’s only a couple of us going riding I’ll put them in the car if it’s the whole family on tour they’ve got to go on the outside.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

OK, thanks for everyone’s input. Despite the fact that I already have the towball carrier I have decided to try roof mounts. Firstly, I really don’t like that the wheels stick out the sides a bit and I have been known to occasionally clip hedges when cornering on narrow roads. I think I am more likely to be aware of low hanging dangers to the bike as I should see them coming.

You can see the hedge…… And TBH it’ll do more damage to your paint than the bikes tyres.

Also, low hanging branches on roads that don’t see enough lorry traffic to keep them clear.

Secondly, was talking to the OH about it and she said “why not get roof mounts and they could be used on my car if needed”. So, decision made.

Might not be so simple, unless they either both have rails to clamp the bars too and happen to be the same width. Or have exactly the same spec mounting points in the channels/gutters it might be an utter PITA.

escrs
    Free Member

As said security wise neither are much cop

As for convenience i prefer towbar mounts due to being easier to lift the bike on, being able to see the bikes through the rear window whilst driving (any straps coming loose can be spotted flapping around)

No chance of accidentally forgetting they are on the roof and driving into a car park height restriction barrier

Once bikes have been removed the rack can be placed in the boot in my car, that way no one passing by whist im off riding knows the car normally has bikes attached to it

The only downside is having to fit it for every ride and having space to store it when not in use

Jordan

@cookeaa It’ll be for trips of no more than an hour or so. Any further afield and they’ll be going on the rack on the back of the camper.

@thisisnotaspoon
    tbh I doubt if they ever will go on her car. She won’t want shitty riding gear anywhere near it. But, if the need arises.. it’s an easier option than fitting a towbar to her car as well(which she also won’t want).

johnw1984
    Free Member

I don’t get the issues with boot access on tow ball mounted carriers. Most of them have a tilt function and I never struggle getting in the boot.

I also carry XL bikes on mine and they have ranged in length. It carried an XL Pace RC529 in the longest setting without having to worry about wheels hitting things. I find the wing mirrors would end up hitting anything well before the wheels.

I find roof mounted bikes really upset the cars handling on windy days (especially if the car is already a tall one).

The Buzzrack Scorpion takes around 2 mins max to install or remove and can slide into the boot if needs.

If a tow bar wasn’t an option though, I’d be tempted to try some of the suction cup mounts (Seasucker, or the cheaper Rock Bros one).

Jordan

@johnw1984 I looked at the Seasuckers. Good option for easy swapping between vehicles. Not sure how much I trust the suckers. I know they are used in safety critical industrial applications but I’m not sure I trust myself to get things clean enough for them to stay stuck. They are a fork holder, have you ever heard of fork holders damaging dropouts? Sure I read it somewhere.

johnw1984
    Free Member

@Jordan

I’ve never seen any reports of the suction cups failing, so that’s some comfort! I’d be a bit nervous at first though 🙂

Fork holders have never been a problem for me. I used to use them on a Pendle roof mount and they were actually better. I may have given them a speed test on a deserted motorway too…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I don’t get the issues with boot access on tow ball mounted carriers. Most of them have a tilt function and I never struggle getting in the boot.

True, but everyone has different needs and requirements. For me i’m usually riding with a mate after work so we don’t just want to access the boot, we’re normally getting changed in and around the boot area. The tilt mechanism only really enables the boot to be open, it doesn’t clear a space around the boot area for you to get changed then you’re into decanting stuff from the boot onto the back seat which is just a PITA. Especially if you’re dirty and want to sit on the boot lip instead of sitting on your nice clean seat…or if its raining and you want to cower under the tailgate. But yeah…if you only want basic access to the boot then you’re fine.

Like I said before though the biggest PITA about tow ball is manoeuvring in tight spaces, parallel parking, even parking in a car park where you can’t overhang the rack over a kerb or something and either your car juts out or your tow bar rack does.

But yes you can forget about bikes on the roof…never happened to me but I know of a few people who’ve driven into low barriers and multi-story car parks.

No ideal solution…decide how you’re want to use it and choose the best solution for you. I was greedy and had both, but for me the roof rack was by far the most convenient for week in week out use.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Tow ball carrier or roof mount.’ is closed to new replies.