Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Touring 2014…….?
  • jameso

Zurich to Verona via lake Garda, July. Mix of roads, dirt tracks and easy MTB trails, lots of good coffee and food, some sleeping under the stars and a visit to Grindlewald to see the Eiger. Plotted the basic route on google earth linking a few interesting-looking trails, some high Swiss cols and a whole area of Europe I’ve not ridden before. Plus I may get to ride back out there in Sept to see a bit more of that area, probably on a road bike and flying back from N Italy. Looking fwd to it all )

Chew
    Free Member

I have a bit of a plan to fly out to northern Italy and then spend a leisurely couple of weeks riding back home via Switzerland, Germany, France, Luxembourg, Belgium & Holland

birdage

Did most of that French Coast route to Bordeaux a couple of years ago but taking that seat-of-the-pants bridge at St Nazaire. Really nice once I got to the beaches past Rochefort. Took 6 days and then belittled by the 1 day train journey home.

Aiming for 3 or 4 day tours this years combining train and fold-up.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m in the throws of planning a bikepacking trip to Idaho, 500 miles off road linking hot springs. Then on to Oregon, Washington and California.

To test out my new gear Boblo and I are going to try a couple of UK coast to coast rides and a couple of loops in Scotland.

When I get my Vaya built up I might try a couple of weekenders too.

flange
    Free Member

mcmoonter – sounds fantastic! I’d really love to tour the US, it’s definitely on the list. How do you intend on getting your bikes out there? Cardboard box or proper bike bag?

Oh, and if you get a Vaya, make sure to order the downtube bosses at the same time.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Flange. I’ve never had any issues with a cardboard box, they are especially handy if your start an finishing point are different. Recycle at the airport and pick up another either at a bike shop or from the airline.

There is a huge touring scene in the US. The weather is generally very good and camping in most state parks guarantees a shower with your $5 fee.

I found a Vaya from here in a wanted ad. I’m still building it up. It came with cable adjusters. I’m really chuffed with it so far.

Basil

Ferry to Zeebrugge, cycle to the F1, visiting WW1 battlefields.
    Eurostar back.
    Soooo looking forward to hols.

flange
    Free Member

Thanks mcmoonter – seems like a much better idea than faffing around with a bike bag.

Have started planning already!

mrsd77
    Free Member

mugsys_m8 – are you looking to sell your trailer? We are looking for a doubel chariot!

ahwiles
    Free Member

I’m going to pootle around the mid-Loire at the end of may.

it’s my stated goal to return home tous les jours, avec du vin, du fromage, et du pain. All carried majestically in my panniers.

i’d love to go and have a pootle around the lochs near Aberfoyle; i have a childish desire to have a paddle in loch Drunkie.

not really ‘touring’ as such i admit…

bokonon
    Free Member

WRT in May, then some sort of roadbikepacking adventure between that and July – a couple of nights out on the road bike, home to wales, something in wales then home probably) and then another July attempt at a solo lakes 200 after my failure to complete it last year. I’m starting from a better set of base miles this year, so should be a lot fitter and more able to cover the distances at speed.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Planning a circular C2C, starting in Durham, heading up to Prudhoe to pick up the Hadrian’s Cycleway, and following that along to Whitehaven, before heading back across to Sunderland.

Wanted to do the WRT, but can’t manage it with work, so probably going to aim for a few days bikepacking in Mid Wales sometime over summer.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Touring 2014…….?’ is closed to new replies.