Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Touring 2014…….?
  • ton

anyone going somewhere far, or indeed near.

what cycle tour have you got planned?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Not sure as yet Tony, but having seen this Bike Express, I feel a plan coming together..

Just not sure where or when.

Gonna try and get something closer to home in too..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

YES,
    Planning it now actually… South Wales, west inland from Swansea, then onto the south coast and back to Swansea via St David’s, Pembrokeshire Coast and the Gower peninsula. I’ll be 300 ish miles, towing a trailer full of camping gear.
    Not fast, not a long way, but a nice relaxing holiday.
    The route is from the Sustrans Celtic Trail West route map

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ideally we want to ride from home and take a train to Swansea. Not sure if that’s possible yet as the cheap tickets haven’t been released and they so,ermines have bus replacement services which screws the whole thing up.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Campino de Santiago for me. Having spoken to 2 of my mates friends who did it on MTBs a few years ago, then having read on here about a few that have done it makes me want to do it. I intend to take 3 weeks doing it, either on my SSNiner or I may even seek out a Mukluk or something similar. I have planned May but if I can’t fit that in (work) then it’s Sept when I’ll catch some of the Vuelta.

steezysix
    Free Member

Going to get the ferry over to France and start pedalling! No set plan yet, but like the idea of doing Europe in a clockwise direction. Did Calais to Amsterdam on the North Sea cycle route last summer and wanted to keep going, but work commitments put a stop to that. Not going to be a problem this summer as my current job finishes in May. Hopefully the weather will improve soon as it’d be nice to get some long rides in and dial in the bike/rack/camp setup.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I’m doing the Holyland MTB Challenge in April. Booked my flight and am assembling the new bike at great expense. I’m also probably going to go to Jordan after I reach Eilat.

Sue_W
    Free Member

I’m getting into ‘mini-tours’ – impromptu weekend escapes straight from home on my bike 🙂 A group of us are planning one out to the western-most tip of the Llyn Penisula, and another weekend as a tour of Anglesey.

No hassle, no transport required, just pack a pannier, hop on your bike and go 🙂

tinribz
    Free Member

Fed up with C2Cs, like the idea of Calais, Bruges to Amsters, ferry back. Looks plenty flat here. And a few beaches along the way. Anyone know what the traffic is like?

somafunk

At some point this year i’ll be cycling from here in galloway up to the ferry at ardrossan and doing the complete Hebridean tour as outlined in the Cicerone : Cycling In The Hebrides with a few hops back onto the mainland up nr Crinan, I used to stay in that area as a kid and most of my mums folks still stay around there so i’m sure a warm bed free from midges and a shower will be a most welcome break from the tent.

According to my estimations it’ll be near enough 1000 miles once i include visits to my old haunts in Argyll so i’ll prob take 4 weeks and see if i can complete it, if i don’t manage it then no worries, or if i find somewhere i want to stay and explore then i’ll do that rather than feel the need to bag the entire route – it’s not a race but a nice wee jolly on my bike 😀

Nick

Isle of Man is looking favorite at the moment, first time family cycle touring, after that who knows?

Pickers

I’m looking at going back to the West coast of Scotland. Toured the Outer Hebrides last year and I have a hankering to go back and go places I didn’t visit on the islands and the mainland.
    As a short tour I like the idea of following NCN5 – this passes a couple of miles from home and runs through Llandudno where the MiL lives. 3 days pootling.

motorman
    Free Member

Going local to me, which is NW Scotland & also planning a trip to Lofoten, Northern Norway in the summer 8)

steezysix
    Free Member

@Tinribz – that’s exactly what I did last summer. It’s really nice, easy cycling on dedicated paths. Google “LF1 cycle route” – there’s a lot of info on it. Parts of it are a bit touristy. If you’re camping it’s worth asking whether they do a special rate for cyclists, one place went from €35 down to €7 for the night when I asked!

nbt

4 day trip over easter around the peak district

Coast-to-coast-to-coast (workington to newcastle via the C2c and back via the Reviers) in May

Both on the tandem, with our friends on their tandem

ton

some good looking trips planned here. touring is ace. 8)

MSP

My first one will probably just be a leisurely riverside bimble at Easter, just to get back used to getting some miles in for 5 or 6 days in a row, Rhine and Mosele most likely.

I am going to do a mountain bike tour, starting off in Pirmasens Germany, then head for the border and into France down the length of the Vosges, before crossing back into Gerrmany and across to Freiburg to catch the train home.

Also possibly an across Germany MTB tour, starting at the same place, heading to the border then turning east and heading across to the Czech border. That one I might split across three weekends as the weather dictates.

Not decided if I will be bikepacking or B&B hopping yet. And hope to have them done for the beginning of June as I have other stuff planned for the second half of the year.

I just hope to get the weather for it all, I had some similar plans last year and then it rained non stop from April to July.

arachnidlover
    Free Member

We might try for another tour in SA at the end of the year (it’ll be our 3rd time if we go for it). Start in George and work our way back to Cape Town following the R62. Great weather and great biking, what’s not to like…..

flange
    Free Member

Some cool trips planned on here!

I planned to do this last year
    French coast route

But work meant I ended up just doing a short UK trip. Would like to try to do it this year but also fancy Norway/Sweden.

Are the midges as bad in Scandinavia as they are in Scotland? When I did the Isle of Harris they made it pretty grim and I don’t fancy that again

That SA trip looks immense..

daleftw
    Free Member

Hebrides and the far North end of April and 3/4 weeks of tootling round Europe later in the year (Might ride to Istanbul).

I get 4 days a week off work, so I’ll be supplementing those with mini tours of the Dales, Pennines, Borders (Not the Lakes though, ew…) etc.

mugsys_m8

After the last 2 summers touring in Denmark, I think it might just have to be home in France for us this year. Maybe the Atlantic Coast.

We will be doing less mileage as Etienne (6) has grown out of the follow-me. So he will be pedalling by himself and Pia (3 but will be 4) will be graduating from the trailer to the follow me.

Looking like one of us will be towing a camping trailer and the other the follow-me. Looks like we don’t have any use for the Chariot Cougar trailer anymore. It will be a sad day when we pass it on. We have had great adventures with it.

daleftw
    Free Member

Or if not Europe, I do fancy Iceland…

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Mostly offroad bike-packing this year.

Dales overnighter in March
    Leisurely TCW there and back in April
    WRT

and then there is talk of a 6 day trip round mont blanc in August
    1-2 weeks in Scotland on road was also mentioned at one point.

I really need to persuade work to give me extra paid holiday to ride my bike as ‘training’/research. 😉

highlandman
    Free Member

Ireland, in early May. Start at Larne, off the fast cat from Troon; catch the Giro there before heading SW. Catch the Giro again out in Armagh, then head south over a couple of days to vist family in Co Waterford. Return up the west side over a week or so, with a bit of Galway, Connemara etc. Tandem plus trailer and I do hear that the Irish make a rather fine liquid fuel, high in carbohydrates.

ibnchris

I’m hoping to start my ‘Nordkap (tip of scandinavia) to cape town’ epic ride…

The plan is to do the ride is several 2 week blasts and see how long it takes me. This year I’m hoping to get from Nordkap to St Petersburg. Or something like that

ton

ibnchris, that sounds good. northern Europe proper grabs me for a destination for bike touring.
    me and the wife are heading to Belgium in april, for a weeks beer tour.
    a week in mid summer will hopefully see Islay and Jura and the surrounding isles visited again, and hopefully a week in September might see Harris and the surrounding isles seen off with the lads.

Touringtrack world rocks…… 😆

RustySpanner

Yep, but not sure where.

Getting married in October and the idea of a nice, sunny tour somewhere appeals to us both.

Budget not huge, so probably a slightly damper tour of somewhere local. 🙂

daleftw
    Free Member

Budget not huge, so probably a slightly damper tour of somewhere local.

You sure? I can fly to the other side of Europe for less than a train ticket to Scotland… 🙂

RustySpanner

Ooooh, give us a clue then.

Only done UK & the easy bits of Europe – Mrs has done Dalmacia, Romantic Road, Croatia.

All suggestions welcome.

ton

me and the lads have had some of our best weeks away, riding from home. no stress or hassle with trains/plains, and a heck of a lot more money to spend on ale and grub….. 8)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I planned to do this last year
    French coast route

Flange, how long where you thinking of doing this in fella??

Looks awesome, just trying to work out the logistics..

What sort of distances would a mere mortal expect to cover in a day?

daleftw
    Free Member

Jet2 Newcastle to Dubrovnik for example is £49 + £30 for a bike. It’s £89 for a train to Oban on the same date (Middle of June.)

crewlie

Did some of the Atlantic route last year. The coast around Bordeaux is pretty flat and we were doing 60-80 k a day and we were definitely in the taking it fairly easy/ mere mortal camp.

danielgroves
    Free Member

John O’ Groats down to Land’s End via the Outer Hebrides with a friend. First time touring for me, so it should be interesting.

flange
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Well at the time I lived near Guildford so the plan was to ride down to Portsmouth for the 3.15pm sailing, then grab a cheap B&B in either Cherbourg or ride across to pick up the route and get a B&B (321, formula 1 type affair). I’d planned 6 days of around 70 – 80 miles a day depending on how I felt, staying in B&B’s along the way as and when I found them. Plenty of Cafe stops and general sedate pedalling. Then grab the TGV back up whenever I’d had enough or run out of time.

I know I can knock out that sort of distance in 4/5 hours but I’m feeling it the next day. The key is slowing it down so that you cover a decent distance but actually enjoy it and can repeat it the next day. Thats the bit I struggle with! Initially I’d planned to ride up North but when you factor in the weather, a bit of a change in culture and the fact that a bike on a ferry is pretty cheap, it makes sense to maybe look to the mainland rather than battering myself along some A road in the midlands.

cleanerbybike
    Free Member

Did a couple last year: A solo trip from Calais to Basel to Paris, and a trip with my other half from Rotterdam to Berlin.

Planning either Denmark and/or Norway this year. If anyone’s got local knowledge or experience of these 2 places then let me have it

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cheers Flange & Crewlie, exactly what as I was hoping..

Thinking of doing it with a tent and camping, but mixing that with a proper bed when the wife decised that is needed. 🙂

flange
    Free Member

The one bit of advice I do have about Norway is that its MEGA expensive. As in, stupidly so – food included.

Teetosugars – France will be awesome for camping. Especially if you’re splitting the kit between two of you. I’m just a bit of a lightweight and prefer having a comfy bed and a shower.

andytherocketeer

Nothing specific booked/planned yet, but with Easter, and 2 more 4-day weekends and a 3-day weekend to fill, I had some crazy ideas.

German/Danish coast to coast – could prolly do it in a day, but public transport one way is not cooperating.

Car tour doing a ride in each of Germany, Poland, Czech Rep., Slovakia, Austria.

Will probably just hop on a train, get off about 100km away, and ride home with an overnight stop somewhere. B+B probably.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Teetosugars – France will be awesome for camping.

Yeah, we stayed near Blois a couple of years ago, & Mt St Michel last year..

Loved it.

Didn’t tour, just rode each day from the campsites.

Just fancy a bit of touring this year..

Just need to find a 52cm Vaya for the wife…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Touring 2014…….?’ is closed to new replies.