Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tourer/Gravel type bike. idea’s please.
  • ton

on the lookout for cheapish tourer/gravel bike.
    nothing too fancy,i have a fancy ti tourer, but something i am not to bothered to leave outside pubs and cafes when away, and i still fun taking offroad along local paths and tracks.
    £1k budget. dont seem much available. any idea’s greatly appreciated.

or has anyone got anything to sell ??

jimdubleyou

I’ve been kicking about on a mk1 Arkose for 8 years now – they have one of the lower spec bikes on clearance.

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/pinnacle/arkose-2-gravel-bike-915760

ElShalimo

@ton – have you looked at Spa Cycles? I’m sure they’ve got a frame for your spare parts

or a full bike for £950

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s225p4009/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Tourer-Flat-Bar-8-Speed

rossburton
    Free Member

I’m after something similar but am thinking an oldish XC 29er hardtail with rigid forks and big fat wheels. Monstercross ftw.

ton

just been looking on Spa cycles website. to be honest, for value they take some beating.
    got a couple of suitable builds about 1k. and available in stock.

jimdubleyou

A few of the folk I do fnrttc with have the Spa Audax.

Nice looking comfy bike. Wouldn’t want to take it *too* off road, but definitely a nice bike

Hedgehopper

I put a PSA up for this the other day, I think it’s a good spec for the price

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/pinnacle/lithium-3-2022-hybrid-bike-939173

p7eaven
    Free Member

I’m after something similar but am thinking an oldish XC 29er hardtail with rigid forks and big fat wheels

So, an MTB/hardtail? 😉 I had a monstercross (Vagabond) and was going to suggest that but they’ve recently upgraded to 725 tubing and also quite a price increase. A used Vagabond could be a good shout, OP? But read the sizing charts and I’m normally a medium but Genesis revommend a large.

I switched for a Longitude for extra stretch, but that is somewhat overkill on most gravel – and since also buying an old Audax tourer with flat bars I tend 90% ofbthe time to hop on that for getting about on as it’s very swift and very comfortable. It also gets largely ignored when tethered (except by the very odd old CTC type who his keen to chat steel, not to steal 😎)

@ElShalimo

That Spa tourer looks a great deal. It solves the only three problems I have with my retro tourer ie

– Flexy quill stem (when fitted with flat bar + bar-ends)
    – No room for v brakes
    – No clearance for anything over 30c

The Spa tourer may well take 37c tyres including guards which would be a game-changer for me. Wait, did you just find my perfect ‘getting about everywhere’ bike?

MoreCashThanDash

I have a few friends with Spa bikes, steel and Ti, not the sexiest looking bikes but great value for money. Proper experts in their field.

Olly
    Free Member

I’m after something similar but am thinking an oldish XC 29er hardtail with rigid forks and big fat wheels. Monstercross ftw.

Basically the bootzipper spec sheet.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I have a few friends with Spa bikes, steel and Ti, not the sexiest looking bikes

‘Sexy’ bikes are for those sexy sorts who find bicycles to be ‘sexy’. I saw a documentary about people who find bridges (and other engineering projects) to be ‘sexy’. I don’t judge…😉

OP if you’re XL sized there’s an almost new Genesis Tour De Fer (725) with dyno lighting/all trimmings etc currently taking offers on an ebay store? The bike shop is in Lancs, they might do a good deal in person if you’re up that way by any chance? Could be a good option to leave outside of a pub and/or tour the world? Possibly not quite as invisible as the Spa tourer though…

Spin
    Free Member

I switched for a Longitude for extra stretch, but that is somewhat overkill on most gravel –

Technically yes but tbh, with a lighter set of wheels and skinny tyres I still enjoy it on the gravel. It works well if your gravel riding is more MTB-gravel than road-gravel. However, probably not what the op is after.

ton

works well if your gravel riding is more MTB-gravel than road-gravel. However, probably not what the op is after.

my salsa fargo covers all the mtb type stuff i need. got some 2.4 tyres which i pop on for anything seriously offroad. managed the jennride last year on it fine.

i want something more road/gravel really. with mount for rack and guards.

p7eaven
    Free Member

XC 29er hardtail with rigid forks and big fat wheels. Monstercross ftw.

Basically the bootzipper spec sheet.

Thought the Bootzipper was more suited for bikepacking and the Whippet specced more for XC? Could be wrong, not looked at On One for a while

surreybcrider
    Free Member

Any thought to a State 4130 All Road? They seem to get good reviews. About £880 shipped to the UK.

All-Road / Gravel

slowol
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.