Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • Tour De Francis
  • Harry_the_Spider

Dear ITV4 why oh why oh why does Phil Sherbert keep saying “he’s a mountain biker” about anybody who can ride down a hill without falling off?

Yours,

Grumpy of Manchester (North side of town, I’m not a ponce).

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider are you Mr MC in disguise!! He keeps harping on about that.
    From Mr MC Grumpy of Yorkshire!

yunki
    Free Member

is it just me that thinks absolutely nothing more about this than

‘meh, Halfords advert’

mattjg
    Free Member

Have you noticed Sherwin repeats every adjective?

“many many years ago”
    “long long stage”
    “steep steep climb”

You will now.

higgo
    Free Member

Anyway they’re not for us, they’re for non-cyclists….

I thought we were, generally speaking, non-cyclists.

(although I rode to work once this week and I’m sat here now in lycra with a road bike in the hall)

RealMan
    Free Member

Yet on Eurosport a train was seen going past yesterday and they asked people to text in with what train it was!! Brilliant!

Trying to decide if this is sarcasm or you’re a train spotter..

njee20
    Free Member

The trouble is that while Eurosport discussed the train there would have been 4 crashes, 6 breakaways and a retirement, and they’d miss it all. I’d rather have slightly daft, but relevant, comments made on the spur of the moment, as live commentary tends to yield!

Ladders
    Free Member

It’s not a charity ride. A couple of months ago there was a memo going round that they wanted to find a cyclist, preferably called Francis, who wanted to ride a few stages of the tour.

It’s an ad for Carrera bikes at Halfords.

Trouble is you hear the same clip over and over which gets annoying. They should have done it as a mini documentary so the story developed over the weeks

One of the guys who works at our sponsors shop got short listed apparently.

RealMan
    Free Member

Yep, ITV commentary is pretty good. It’s hard to talk about a race for 3 hours, and yes, sometime they can be a bit captain obvious or slightly dull, but at least they’re never annoying. They do a pretty good job I think.

mattjg
    Free Member

Anyone noticed the quality of the video feed is defo better on ITV4 than on Eurosport (on Virgin cable)?

bigG
    Free Member

Don’t really care if the guy is a twunt. I’m jealous that he got to ride stages of the TDF with support crew.

If it had been me I’m sure I would have said a few things that made me sound like an eejit too because I was so excited and having a good time.

Does anyone here actually know the guy, and if he is indeed a proper tool? Or are we basing our character assessment on what happens to be in those brief ads? STW judgemental? Heaven forbid…

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

Does anyone here actually know the guy, and if he is indeed a proper tool? Or are we basing our character assessment on what happens to be in those brief ads? STW judgemental? Heaven forbid…

Literally never happened on here.

Seems to me that its impossible to form an opinion on the guy based on 4 minutes of edited footage and most of the posters on here would love the opportunity this guy had.

kilo

Seems to me that its impossible to form an opinion on the guy based on 4 minutes of edited footage

Isn’t forming an opinion based on 4 minutes of edited footage one of the main points of advertising?

Duggan

Yep, ITV commentary is pretty good. It’s hard to talk about a race for 3 hours, and yes, sometime they can be a bit captain obvious or slightly dull, but at least they’re never annoying. They do a pretty good job I think.

Yep I agree with this, I think ITV4 do really well with the coverage though the downside being of course the number of adverts. Really enjoy the actual coverage though.

They seem to make a real effort to ensure that non-cyclists or tdf ‘newbs’ are included too which I think is a good thing.

Duggan

Calm down, nobody on here is genuinely, actually saying they truly dislike him or think he’s a terrible, terrible person.

He’s put himself up for being on an advert that is forced into millions of peoples living rooms like 10 times a day and is therefore rightfully subject to some light ridicule.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

As Duggan said really ref Francis! Shame I didn’t see the ad i’d have applied or do they specify males only???

PrinceJohn

By the way… why oh why do they keep calling the downhills technical?!

faz083
    Free Member

I’d call flying down a mountain on 1 inch tyres at 60mph technical. But if you’re more extreme… well maybe you should complain.

As Duggan said really ref Francis! Shame I didn’t see the ad i’d have applied or do they specify males only???

Males only, surname or first name must include france, francis, francesca, anything frenchy really, otherwise marketing campaign = fail.

RealMan
    Free Member

Yep I agree with this, I think ITV4 do really well with the coverage though the downside being of course the number of adverts. Really enjoy the actual coverage though.

When else are you meant to go to the toilet/get something to eat?

Because some of them are? Calling a road descent technical is fine. Calling it rad, or gnarly, is something else..

racefaceec90

as i don’t have sound on my digibox (am too tightfisted to buy another one 😳 i was wondering who that guy was,that was on those halfords ad’s (didn’t have a clue who he was).
    kudos to him for riding some stages,but i am sick to death of those ads now 😉
    anyhoo there are people here who have ridden waay more than him,and don’t bang on about it (not me i’d like to add,i’m a lazy sod 😆

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Trying to decide if this is sarcasm or you’re a train spotter..

think the point is the Euro guys were trying to be entertaining, accepting it was a dull stage for 90% of it (one of them ranted about a neighbour testing a hovercraft engine) rather than just blithering out the same cliches on autopilot that Waldorf and Statler have been for the last 30 years. I wince every time “former mountain biker” is thrown in commentating on downhill section. Have yet to see a Tour descent with a rock garden.

I like Gary Imlach’s dry, arch delivery and slightly knowing references to Paul and Phil.

Smashing it up and down next to a river. What does that even mean? Dont know the bloke but hate the ads, hence renaming it tourdec–t every time its on. Chosen on the basis of his name’s similarity to France, how sophisticated a marketing move.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The repetitiveness of the ads is F annoying, but the bloke doesn’t strike me particularly as a massive ****t or anything. As far as I know he’s a bloke-on-the-street, who may or may not have already been a keen-ish cyclist, who’s lucked into chance to ride a few stages of the tour supported as part of a Halfords ad campaign, and that’s it. Who on here wouldn’t do it?

That said, I had assumed he was doing more than 4, and I was muttering “FFS” when he’s having his moment on the “really big climb”.

But give me these ads over the Boardman ones from last year any day!

davemonty
    Free Member

[certain degree of hyperbole]
    “Just trying to eat as much as I can. This is the first stage where I fell like it’s really going to get to me.”
    It sickens me that I can quote that. Amongst almost all of the other crap he says. When he has his moment on the ‘really big climb’ I want to punch the tv. Maybe once, ok, but being faced with him saying the same things 10 times a day… I don’t even see the few people I like that often.

And then the bustard goes and starts talking with his mouth open. Stick your frog’s legs up your arse Francis.
    [/certain degree of hyperbole]

(anybody hear boardman talking about ‘hyper-bowl’ the other day? lol)
    As Salmon says though, better than the Boardman adverts of last year.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

And if he really couldnt ever imagine himself riding the same (public) roads as the tour guys, he has a very restricted imagination and has never heard the words “Etape” or “Easyjet”. I’ve ridden the same roads, accidently, on a mountain bike.

The repetition doeesnt help as ITV4 only have about 3 advertisers so the same ads get hammered every break. If I said I was a fan of “2” would you know what I meant? 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

(edit: should have known better)

ctm yes I think so

mudsux
    Free Member
    Junkyard
    Free Member

Good link and h comes over as a nice guy in the documentary

the bit where he cramps for example it is -4 and he can no longer feel his hands or feet.

D0NK

not sure I can manage 15minutes to watch the full documentary (STW is for wasting time) but the apology makes a lot of sense and should appease most I’d have thought

atlaz
    Free Member

It being -4 and not having overshoes and long gloves makes me less likely to go into Halfords not more. It’s like they can’t be arsed to even consider the fact that at that time of year it would be bloody cold or even just throw some kit in a bag on the off chance that he might need it. Plenty of snow on a lot of mountains even in summer.

atlaz
    Free Member

I also appear to have been doing road riding wrong. I don’t find it an honour to ride the same roads as pros, I find it intensely depressing just how much faster those bastards are up hills that make me want to puke as I climb.

Spin
    Free Member

I think the thing that bugs me about this campaign and others like it is the notion that he’s doing something heroic or at least unusual when in fact thousands of amature cyclists perform much more impressive feats as a matter of course.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Just watched the full thing. Still finding it hard to dislike him, although I still didn’t really see the need for the “really big climb” moment. Things that stood out though- as mentioned above, they didn’t seem very well prepared for high mountain passes early in the season. It can’t have been a huge surprise that it’d be cold, and maybe some roads would be closed?
    Also I don’t know who these people are that think a £1000 bike wouldn’t be good enough- do they actually exist?

atlaz
    Free Member

Looks like the blog having a go at him was taken down. Pressure from Halfrauds? Impassioned plea from Francis himself? Guess we might never know.

oldgit
    Free Member

I hope he didn’t forget to ring back.

oldgit
    Free Member

Putting the ‘Great’ in Britain.

oldgit
    Free Member

And bigger than Chris’s

mattjg
    Free Member

Looks like the blog having a go at him was taken down.

It was fairly offensive from what I recall. Hopefully the author just grew up a bit.

The ads are irritating and patronising from where we sit, but he’s just a bloke riding his bike and enjoying it his way.

And I think they’re not targeted at us, more like regular non-cyclists tuning in to the tour to see what’s what. They don’t watch it all day every day.

Digger90
    Free Member

Honestly – who among us wouldn’t have done that if given the opportunity? I know I would. And I’d have probably come across as a knob too… 😀

OK, his quotes are nonsense.. “Smashing it up the River” is total bolx, and honestly.. who gets into a bath wearing their cycling kit?

But, let’s give him the benefit of the doubt… film crews and producers in particular ask people to do some really stupid things and may well have scripted his lines for all we know. I’m sure he didn’t think getting in the bath wearing his kit was a good idea all on his own.

The finger of blame should be pointed at Halfords for creating THE most annoying TV adverts ever seen in recent history. Francis’ stupid pranks portray an image of cycling that is totally wrong, but if that is the nonsense Halfords wish to project then more fool them!

flange
    Free Member

Looks like the blog having a go at him was taken down. Pressure from Halfrauds? Impassioned plea from Francis himself? Guess we might never know.

Nasty email from the production company combined with a nasty letter from blogger so I heard….

mattjg
    Free Member

The Union Jack photo above is good evidence that anyone getting wound up by this is taking it more seriously than Mr. Francis himself.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Tour De Francis’ is closed to new replies.