PSA : The sad reality of a liftime frame warranty

Home Forum Bike Forum PSA : The sad reality of a liftime frame warranty

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 246 total)
  • PSA : The sad reality of a liftime frame warranty
  • cynic-al

As you can read in the attached article, the life of your mountain bike frame is not the same as your life.

Love it…lifetime warranty is for the lifetime of the frame!

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

The fact your frame had not suffered from damage in 10 years, speaks volumes for our design and manufacturing, considering most titanium frames last 5 years.

Is 5 years really seen as a ‘a good life’ for a Ti frame by most manufacturers? 😯

*sticks with steel*

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Bogus state of affairs, Mark. You can see his point about a weld cracking after 10 years not really being a manufacturing defect, but if they’re going to take that stance then logically they would never ever warranty a 10 yo frame. So clearly the ‘lifetime warranty’ statement is marketing pish.

Probably not the sort of bike you’re looking for, but CDale were always superb with their warranty claims – had a 5 yo scalpel replaced on a tiny crack by the bb, plus a couple of HTs no quibbles. Few years ago though and the company’s changed quite a bit since.

julianwilson

$504 to repair the frame? Good lord.

Mintman

Interesting reading, it’ll make me double check the definition of a lifetime warranty with any company rather than accept it at face value.

gingerss

Sounds pretty unacceptable to me, I’d consider that a frame should not crack under normal use regardless of age, and you were sold a lifetime warranty.

Small claims might be worth a punt, misleading sales information etc. Give trading standards or whatever they’re called now a ring for some advice – they can be quite good.

Personally I wouldn’t let it rest after just a small email exchange – let them know you’re serious about following it through. Do your research and write them a letter, including how you intend to follow up if you don’t get a satisfactory response. It might get you nowhere but you never know…

bigdugsbaws

Laughable that they consider 5 years an acceptable lifespan for a Ti bike! Cheap carbon and steel is the way to go then.

Will i ever learn …..I’m just looking a new frame from a custom Scottish framebuilder…. Expensive but its got a good warranty !

You getting a Shand?? 😀

avdave2

We warranty all of our bikes and frames from manufacturing defects for the life of the frame

Excellent a warranty that expires at the exact moment something breaks.
    I don’t think anyone should offer such vague warranties, put it down in years in black and white so people can make an informed decision.

And re-post this on any other bike forums you can so that anyone else thinking of buying their products knows how long they actually consider to be the lifetime of their products.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

it does raise the question as to whether a fatigue failure is a ‘design fault’ and presumably not then covered by the ‘manufacture fault’ warranty despite being within their control?

[edit] a few direct links will get this thread up the google rankings for http://www.litespeed.com/.

Premier Icon cinnamon_girl
    Subscriber

🙁 that is not very good is it! Bearing in mind the cost of a Litespeed frame (yes, I do have one) I would have expected exemplary customer service. That must be extremely disappointing for you.

Would be interested to hear what you are going to do now as, frankly, their responses are pathetic. Their PR people need to get involved otherwise they won’t have any customers with an attitude like that.

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

I have had no problem with Marin and warranties on frames…

Maybe Litespeed have a different interpretation of Lifetime, ie, if its undamaged and working, its alive.. until the nanosecond before it cracks and therefore becomes dead.. and unwarrantied.

Does seem a very poor show…

hels

Sorry, but “lifetime warranty” is a ridiculous thing for any company to contend, I have asked folk in the industry what this means and never got a straight answer.

“the Lifetime of the Frame” is a standard answer, so in other words, when the frame breaks it’s life is over, so the guarantee doesn’t apply.

It’s like saying we guarantee that your cat will be alive, until it stops breathing.

Marketing BS of the highest order.

Ask them under what circumstances they will replace a frame ? I bet thats a short answer.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

It’s like saying we guarantee that your cat will be alive, until it stops breathing.

litespeed frame warranty = schrodingers cat

You can only tell if it’s there by looking but as soon as you look the warranty is over.

retro83

So this line on their website is a bit misleading then…

Litespeed Limited Warranty

Litespeed Bicycle’s frames are warranted to be free from manufacturing defects in material and/or workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.

Helpfully they follow it up with this gem:

This Limited Warranty Does Not Cover

Any damage resulting from normal wear and tear, including the result of fatigue.
    👿

I always wanted a Litespeed frame, after seeing one in MBUK about 15 years ago. I wouldn’t touch one with a shitty stick after reading about all the warranty problems with them.

Premier Icon deus
    Subscriber

would that be shand cycles MtbMM?
    they look very nice

cynic-al

Wry smirk @ wwaswas

argyle

lifetime warranty does tend to always translate to reasonable lifetime of the product. sad state of affairs but true. they have obviously deemed 10 years as reasonable

jota180

Small claims might be worth a punt, misleading sales information etc. Give trading standards or whatever they’re called now a ring for some advice – they can be quite good.

Can’t see them being too concerned with UK consumer rights

z1ppy

Probably not the sort of bike you’re looking for, but CDale were always superb with their warranty claims

Not everyone agree’s with that…

have had no problem with Marin and warranties on frames…

Indeed they bent over backwards to help me.. quite a few times. IIRC they did specify that a lifetime warranty was for 10 years, which I thought very reasonable

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

I bet they will enjoy when this thread starts to pop up high in google.

Especially if people keep talking about their Litespeed Warranty Issues, Litespeed Lifetime Warranty, Should I trust Litespeed Warranty or even if someone misspells it as Lightspeed Warrantee.

🙂

drlex

I’d thought that one of the benefits of a metal frame was repairability, but $500 seems steep.
    Does Litespeed do any of these twitter/fb social networks? Reports of shaming companies into action abound when #bashtags start.

headfirst

If I were the OP I’d have steam coming out of my ears – you seem very philosophical about it all. I think hels ^^^ sums it up best: a guarantee against breakages until it breaks…it is frankly underhand and despicable, it’s not like you bought it off a bloke in a pub for a tenner!
    EDIT: should I have put Litespeed customer service lifetime guarantee warranty issues in my post?

richc

Probably not the sort of bike you’re looking for, but CDale were always superb with their warranty claims – had a 5 yo scalpel replaced on a tiny crack by the bb, plus a couple of HTs no quibbles. Few years ago though and the company’s changed quite a bit since.

Not true for Cannondale anymore, as a friend tried to warranty her frame after it cracked on a chainstay and she way told lifetime of frame not lifetime of person, and life of Al frame is < 5 years.

Hence she will never now buy another Cannondale. Shame really as they are nice bikes.

I doubt any company will do no quibble replacements, as didn’t PlanetX get caught by this, when some smart arse, hacksawed his frame in half at 23 months to get a new one. (Brant should be able to verify this, and this should now hit his vanity search)

avdave2

litespeed frame warranty = schrodingers cat

So the frame has both failed and not failed and the OP needs to relocate to the branch of the universe in which the frame has not failed. Perhaps Litespeed should have said this as it’s more reasonable than their current position.

Premier Icon BigJohn
    Subscriber

So they are saying the fault was in the design (didn’t make it strong enough to withstand normal wear and tear) but the warranty is for manufacturing faults only.

But in their response they seem to regard the two stages as one

speaks volumes for our design and manufacturing

You have a duty to keep on and on and on and on to them.

If you can’t get a free repair, you can at least burn $1000 of their management time dealing with your legitimate complaint, until they redefine lifetime warranty as “sorry sir, your frame has reached the end of its life”.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Probably not the sort of bike you’re looking for, but CDale were always superb with their warranty claims

I’ve heard the opposite, they were awful, and were very well known for saying “the lifetime of the frame has ended, therefore your lifetime warranty is over”.

Litespeed Bicycle’s frames are warranted to be free from manufacturing defects in material and/or workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.

OP needs to send that to Litespeed and get it amended, they’re lying.

racefaceec90

100% with the op on this.lifetime should mean lifetime (especially for an expensive titanium frame from a renowned manufacturer).good job i have a cheap bike 😉

hora

A weld is a defect in materials. Its something that is put their to hold to pieces of material together. It failed to do its job, therefore its a defect.

Its not a downhill bike and why say ‘lifetime for the original owner’. If they say this for marketing reasons only they should remove it and add

“lifetime for the original owner unless he uses it then it becomes wear and tear”.

FAIL.

Just like Specialized recently when I asked for the warranty on the HEEL of the shoe and they pointed to the wear and tear on the TOE of the shoe as reason for rejecting it. Idiots.

druidh

It makes those cheap eBay Ti and Carbon frames look even more if a bargain.
    Why pay more if it’s not going to last any longer?

neninja

They would appear to make a habit of this –

http://forums.mtbr.com/litespeed/beware-litespeed%92s-lifetime-warranty-claim-599636.html

Basically they offer a worthless warranty that they have no intention of honouring after a few years. Pretty disgraceful really. They should really offer an upfront time period on the warranty.

Hopefully people will research Litespeed before buying and buy from a reputable manufacturer.

richc

Why pay more if it’s not going to last any longer?

Why it could last a for ever, if you can just find the right parallel universe.

hora

Just keep posting it up in numerous places. Google will pick it up. In addition get a few friends to email them saying they’ve heard about their lifetime warranty and wouldn’t consider buying one on the back of this.

That’ll rattle/worry them.

My mk1 Chameleon frame is nearly 15 years old. Very, very well ridden but as far as I’m aware (ie, it was still in one piece last night in the cellar), its not fallen apart.

Thats disgusting TBH.

Considering ti frames are billed as ‘for life’, the number of threads about broken ones vs broken steel or alloy frames is very high (especially considering ti frames must be a tiny fraction of the number of frames out there).

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

It looks like, in Litespeed speak, a lifetime frame warranty lasts 5 years…

The fact your frame had not suffered from damage in 10 years, speaks volumes for our design and manufacturing, considering most titanium frames last 5 years.

Should that read:

The fact your frame had not suffered from weld failure in 10 years, speaks volumes for our design and manufacturing, considering most titanium frames last 5 years.

For the google bump

Litespeed customer service lifetime guarantee warranty issues

Mrs Toast

Is 5 years really seen as a ‘a good life’ for a Ti frame by most manufacturers?

Sweet merciful Zeus! Only five years life expectancy? :/ Sod that.

Does seem a bit like “Your frame is guaranteed until it breaks”. I’d expect a lifetime guarantee to be just that – a warranty against all cracks and faults that have occurred through normal use. Which seems to be what the blurb on their website suggests too

neninja

Does anyone from the Evans buying team come on here? I’m sure there is at least one member of the team.

They should be interested to know that a product they are selling with a ‘Lifetime Warranty’ is unlikely to have that warranty honoured by Litespeed once the frame has been used.

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

That is just disgraceful. “Lifetime Warranty” = FOR EVER. Not the “Life of the frame”.

How do you quantify “life of the frame”? It’s either 1 year, 2 years, 5 years……. or “for life”.

The more I read about Ti frames and the cracking and warranty issues with the makers, the more I’m put off. At least you know that any mug, and I mean me here, can bash out a steel frame repair. I’ve done it in the past so I speak from experience.

“Bike for life”. Not if it’s a http://www.litespeed.com/

Premier Icon granny_ring
    Subscriber

Remind me not to buy a Litespeed.

Hope you sort it out ok.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 246 total)

The topic ‘PSA : The sad reality of a liftime frame warranty’ is closed to new replies.