Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tough rear rim recommendations
  • matt_outandabout

Eldest_oab has added a 14th dent to his rear rim (!). It seems to be very weak alu – he is running DH carcass HansDampf and good pressures.

It’s a 5 month old DT Swiss E1900 wheel, on 170mm 29er Endooro racing monster truck.

So, tough 29er rim for 2.3ish tyres and an abusive 17 year old.

Also a 29er insert.

#beltandbraces

Rubber_Buccaneer

28 spokes? Think I’d be checking the ERD of EX417 or EX511 to see if they are a straight swap

Edit: because they are strong rims and I’d like to save money/hassle getting spokes

Rubber_Buccaneer

on the insert front I really like the Rimpacts but I don’t think they will last five minutes under the kind of abuse you are describing so I’d look for something tougher.

chakaping
    Free Member

If sticking with 28h on the rear then I’d go for at least a EX471 or 511 as above. Very tough rims.

I flogged those wheels and went straight to 32h ones on mine, using a Rimpact insert on the rear – which I rate highly.

edit – If he’s doing that damage with DH tyres then get the burliest rear wheel possible!

SirHC

Ex471 or ex511

Inserts, flat tyre defender, cushcore, basically one of the tougher ones.

And lastly, a pressure gauge, so he doesn’t leave the house with no less than 35psi!

bigyan
    Free Member

EX471.

However personally if he is denting the rim regularly I would up the tyre pressure slightly, or accept for max traction you replaced the rims regularly (ok for pro/sponsored, expensive for hobby), (or switch to lifetime warranty carbon rim, £££).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tough rear rim recommendations’ is closed to new replies.