Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tough life being a bird…
  • Klunk
    Free Member

Just found a dead female blackcap (she has a red cap) flew into an upstairs window, rum time of year to lose yer mum!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

So worried about opening this thread…  😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Wev’e got a male blackbird with a broken wing hopping round the garden trying to get food for the bairns, along with Mrs blackbird. I’ve been digging worms up & leaving them in a small container near the tree where theyr’e nesting.

Soppy sod.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Good work mate.

senorj

Nice one essel!

we did something similar with a fledged blackbird chick. It’s back feathers had been ruffled by a magpie….we used meal worms soaked in water! It got away ok.:-)

dropoff

Egf, extra karma points for you this evening 🙂 well done

kayak23

I tried to help a seagull once in Grimsby when I was a kid. It pecked me in the head.

Birds can be knobs too.

km79
    Free Member

I had a magpie today snatch one of the fledgling starlings right in front of its parents and ripped it apart taunting them with its carcass. A few other starlings came along to try and help but the magpie had back up as well. They made a right racket.

Far too many magpies about this year and not very many of anything else.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Far too many magpies about this year and not very many of anything else.

Tell me about it. Iv’e also been putting mealworms out for Mr blackbird but a **** maggie keeps nicking them! I’ll be loading the old Airsporter if it keeps it up.

maccruiskeen

Birds can be knobs too.

JoeG
    Free Member

hodgynd
    Free Member

I know you probably meant in your garden with regard to Magpies ..but out on the moors yesterday there were loads of curlew, lapwing , red grouse and a rather large bird of prey which I couldn’t place ( it wasn’t a kestrel or a buzzard ..and was hovering fairly close to the ground ) ..

I very nearly had a wipe out accident with some ( days old ) grouse chicks which were crossing the trail ..

The only thing missing from their usual spot ( just outside Edmundbyers ) were the Red Kites ..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Round here Red Kites are as common as pigeons.

but despite me knowing sod all about birds a local gamekeeper pointed out some Peregrines that nest locally and the odd other kestrel.

Throw in foxes, deer, hares and badgers plus carpets of bunnies that I see on my commute and it pretty impressive considering it is Didcot area.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

and a rather large bird of prey which I couldn’t place ( it wasn’t a kestrel or a buzzard ..and was hovering fairly close to the ground ) ..

Probably a Marsh Harrier

hodgynd
    Free Member

EGF…

I would like to think that was the case as I have ( probably ) only seen one once before ..am I right in thinking that it’s the only other bird of prey that hovers ?

tewit
    Free Member

If it was moorland then I would have said Hen Harrier. They’ll fly low and slow/hover into the wind. You’re very lucky if it was.

dissonance

They’ll fly low and slow/hover into the wind. You’re very lucky if it was.

Yeah they have a nasty habit of mysteriously disappearing once they go near a grouse moor.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yeah they have a nasty habit of mysteriously disappearing once they go near a grouse moor.

Marsh Harriers are more common than Hen Harriers, which are as rare as hens teeth, due to what Dissonance said.

Gamekeepers are often plebs who’ll blast at anything if it threatens grouse/££’s.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tough life being a bird…’ is closed to new replies.