Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 222 total)
  • Tory Scum
  • grum
    Free Member

I get vertigo up here on this massive high horse sometimes. 😀

But what I actually do is just go out and lecture kids about the best excuses for failing in life – that’s what really switches me on.

yossarian
    Free Member

The fat lady is warming up

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m a dirty self-employed capitalist. So I’ll just mince around in the foothills of morality for now extracting money from the wealthy. 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

What are you basing it that statement on exactly? Social mobility is significantly worse than in most other developed countries, as I said earlier, and people from privileged backgrounds are still far, far more likely to get into positions of money and power. Where is your evidence that it’s ‘fine’?

Your definition/proof of social mobility came in the form of data which showed that people tended to have the same wages as their parents. I don’t think that proves anything about the individual opportunities that people have. I believe that the very fact that there many are folk who have come from nothing to achieve good wages/positions purely through hard work is proof that the potential for social up-ward movement is just fine (though I did add the admission that the possibility of the *very* top positions may somewhat more restricted).

I can’t honestly believe you are downplaying the importance of those things.

I’m not downplaying them at all. What I’m doing is pointing out that, having come from a non-affluent background and a family that didn’t follow the leftie belief system despite being in a working class northern UK town, my parents and those around did just fine by trying. Naturally kids need a comfortable life and to have work ethic instilled in them, but I don’t think that has anything to do with a political persuasion.

Many of the kids I have worked with come from incredibly chaotic/abusive/negative home backgrounds would kill to have supportive parents and a ‘comfy house’.

Snap, but ultimately in those situations the kids have to make the decision to improve themselves and be shown that they can by those educating them as their parents won’t. We have folk that do this, across a broad range of professions, I was a small part of it too. The biggest issue I came up against was funding too, while my time was donated free of charge and so was equipment, the less well off parents would bring their kids along and refuse to let their kids do things because the nominal cost of their kids food while away meant that they couldn’t afford it. Despite the fact that they would not have to feed the kid whilst they were gone, and that we were charging a subsidised cost far cheaper than a meal really costs, and they turned up to the centre with a mcDs meal each week and a pack of 20 cigarettes in hand. For the sake of the kids the costs were swallowed but it just goes to show what some folk think while bitching and moaning about whoever is in power. Some folk think the world owes them a living. The sad reality is some of the folk at the centre I was at had been there 20 years and had taken the parents away on the same basis, who now saw it as free child care too. Like others on here i’d happily do anything to help the kids but rubbing shoulders with useless parents with horrific attitudes who took it out on those helping their kids made me so angry. This is probably why I have a built in instinctual wince when I meet vocally lefty folk, as experience has told me they are often the same folk. Not always clearly, but often.

As I said, my point was that the ability to move up is dictated primarily by making the choice to and seeking the help that is available all around. I was not making any suggestions as to whether or not one party line was better than the other.

donsimon
    Free Member

it’s that they’ve read the Guardian too often and it told them it’s ok to be lazy.

In absolutely 100% of the cases.

I imagine given that you are obviously very passionate about this issue you do something similar right?

You know I do, I’ve already mentioned it.
    Are you keeping score DD?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t think that proves anything about the individual opportunities that people have. I believe that the very fact that there many are folk who have come from nothing to achieve good wages/positions purely through hard work is proof that the potential for social up-ward movement is just fine (though I did add the admission that the possibility of the *very* top positions may somewhat more restricted).

Do you understand statistics at all – that is rhetorical btw.
    1. if there were many then the graph would not look like that – there are very few of which you may be one. It proves that there are indeed few.
    2. To talk of opportunities when shown the outcomes is to both miss the point of the graph and how we would measure social mobility [ ie by actual mobility]. You seem to suggest the reason they failed to get the same outcomes , when given the same opportunities* [ you seem to be arguing wealth confers no advantage on a person as well BTW} is because of some fault in them

* Are you really suggesting that the child from a council estate borne into poverty with drug addicted parents has had the same opportunities as the privately educated son of millionaire like say call me Dave – its not a great argument tbh

What I’m doing is pointing out that, having come from a non-affluent background

the estate is a baren wasteland now due to social mobility I assume?

my point was that the ability to move up is dictated primarily by making the choice to

aye right so people choose to not move up then and work 60 hours shifts for the minimum wage….they are rather stupid even if they work hard, what what

yossarian
    Free Member

What exactly do you do Don Simon?

donsimon
    Free Member

What exactly do you do Don Simon?

How is what I do relevant to the debate?

Junkyard
    Free Member

DS at work earlier today

yossarian
    Free Member

You mentioned that you do something similar to grum. I just wondered what that was.

donsimon
    Free Member

@Junky 😆

You mentioned that you do something similar to grum. I just wondered what that was.

Mentoring business start ups.
    I thought you were talking about my actual job.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Do you understand statistics at all – that is rhetorical btw.
    1. if there wer emany then the graph would not look like that – there are very few
    2. To talk of opportunities when shown the outcomes is to suggest the reason they failed to get the same outcomes , when given the same opportunities* [ you seem to be arguing wealth confers no advantage on a person as well BTW} is because of some fault in them

Yes thanks, I’m fairly well versed in stats. Unfortunately that graph shows social motion, not social mobility and your use of it means you make the assumption that people will always try to better themselves rather than give up and accept their position. Mobility is fine, motion is poor.

the estate is a baren wasteland now due to social mobility I assume?

No, because there is a turnover of people coming in for the cheaper housing while they can’t afford better and moving out as they get higher wages. Virtually no-one I know still lives there but plenty of new folk do, usually folk who have moved from the even less well off areas in city outskirts around.

aye right so people choose to not move up then and work 60 hours shifts for the minimum wage….they are rather stupid even if they work hard, what what

Come again in English? People do often choose not to move up, yes. Are you that far out of touch? I’ve worked those shifts, I’ve been in those employers where the staff are offered more cash for more responsibility and the minimum wage staff say “^*£$ off, I don’t want that responsibility for only a grand a year more, I’m happy packing boxes”. If you think these people dont exist, and don’t exist in droves, you’re living in lala land.

grum
    Free Member

Mentoring business start ups.

So not really similar at all then.

Mobility is fine

Again, what are you basing this on? Your own biased personal experience and your perception of those around you? Pretty poor evidence really. Whereas there’s lot of pretty clear evidence that social mobility in this country is particularly poor (that you seem very keen to deny).

donsimon
    Free Member

So not really similar at all then.

Why not?
    EDIT:

By the way, in my work I actually do encourage young people from deprived backgrounds to make something of themselves. I imagine given that you are obviously very passionate about this issue you do something similar right?

I think you could be right, you say you encourage them whereas I speak to, listen to and give them a bit of direction with some real action and results.

grum
    Free Member

Why not?

Well because most of the people I work with are a long way off having the skills/confidence to even think of starting their own businesses I suppose (probably because I’ve infected them with my excuse-providing Guardianista ways).

donsimon
    Free Member

(probably because I’ve infected them with my excuse-providing Guardianista ways).

Your words, not mine. 😉

yossarian
    Free Member

I rather suspected it wasn’t similar at all 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Your words, not mine.

Clever what you did there.

So you specifically work with people from deprived backgrounds who want to set up businesses or are at the early stages? Really? Hmmmm….

coffeeking
    Free Member

Again, what are you basing this on? Your own biased personal experience and your perception of those around you? Pretty poor evidence really.

Jesus, do I have to repeat myself again? It’s based on the fact that people can and DO move up from council estate to nice 4 bed houses in the ‘shires through hard work and making opportunities. Not just my experience, the experience of many around me. Several of the folk who lived in the estate with me are now earning double what I do doing jobs that don’t require degree qualifications because they worked their asses off as teens/20s. Some of the classmates are now in jail and others still living in what would be classed as poverty. Naturally I can’t speak for all areas so my experience is limited to a couple of small northern towns. I do accept that it’s more difficult from the depths of poverty and easier from a well off middle class household, clearly, but I don’t think there’s a mobility problem, there’s motion problem. With more education of kids and better aspirations the motion may get closer to the mobility. If you class mental attitude as part of mobility then sure mobility is poor, but since the argument is usually put that social mobility is government-related I don’t believe that holds true – the government is not responsible for peoples aspirations and intentions.

grum
    Free Member

It’s based on the fact that people can and DO move up from council estate to nice 4 bed houses in the ‘shires through hard work and making opportunities. Not just my experience, the experience of many around me.

But that’s just your anecdotal evidence and your perception of other’s experience – it’s statistically meaningless in the overall picture. Repeating your opinions over and over again doesn’t make them universal facts.

I don’t think there’s a mobility problem, there’s motion problem

Again, your opinion, based on your own perception and having not looked at (or dismissed out of hand) any of the real evidence.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Unfortunately that graph shows social motion, not social mobility

I have no idea what your point is here [We can move but not be mobile?] could you explain itpatronise the hell out of me 😉

your use of it means you make the assumption that people will always try to better themselves rather than give up

non sequitor

I’m happy packing boxes”. If you think these people dont exist, and don’t exist in droves, you’re living in lala land.

wow 1 k more than the minimum wage …I never knew such riches could wait me where do I sign up to the mobility motion 🙄

lala land may be better than wherever you are dwelling….cloud cuckoo land perhaps?
    1 k more is not social mobility now is it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

But that’s just your anecdotal evidence and your perception of other’s experience – it’s statistically meaningless in the overall picture. Repeating your opinions over and over again doesn’t make them universal facts.

No, but I can’t see any evidence showing it’s wrong, only people mis-interpreting statistics. There’s no reason to assume my experience and the experience of the people around me is wrong, I came from the background that is being discussed but apparently my experience is not right because it doesn’t fit with your view of what my experience should be?

donsimon
    Free Member

I rather suspected it wasn’t similar at all

Quite the little genius on the quiet, aren’t you? (Again not really sure what is meant though).

So you specifically work with people from deprived backgrounds who want to set up businesses or are at the early stages?

All sorts, if anyone wants help to set up, I’ll help them, it could be someone who’s well set up and wants to sound off ideas, same as I do from time to time. It could be someone with 10 quid in their pocket and an idea. I don’t generally ask about family background. If the business idea is good, it doesn’t matter to me. Do you have to be affluent to set up a business?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the fact that people can and DO move up from council estate to nice 4 bed houses in the ‘shires through hard work and making opportunities.

of course they do but not everyone and it is very few. No one is saying that it is impossible just that its occurrence is uncommon…not so uncommon they cannot sell the dream to you though.

Could every poor person end up in a 4 bedroom house and we could eradicate all poor people?

grum
    Free Member

No, but I can’t see any evidence showing it’s wrong, only people mis-interpreting statistics.

People like the chief economist of the OECD you mean? But I’m sure you know better of course.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/10/oecd-uk-worst-social-mobility

I came from the background that is being discussed but apparently my experience is not right because it doesn’t fit with your view of what my experience should be?

‘Jesus, do I have to repeat myself again?’ No, because one person’s experience is statistically meaningless. Yes people from poor backgrounds can make something of themselves – but it happens much less often and is much harder than for people from better off backgrounds. This isn’t a desirable thing and it would be better if society was fairer.

Which bit of this is so hard for you to grasp?

All sorts, if anyone wants help to set up, I’ll help them, it could be someone who’s well set up and wants to sound off ideas, same as I do from time to time. I don’t generally ask about family background.

So it has nothing to do with people from deprived backgrounds then (as you originally suggested).

If the business idea is good, it doesn’t matter to me. Do you have to be affluent to set up a business?

It certainly helps a lot. I know from my own experience. 😉

grum
    Free Member

Junkyard
    Free Member

I can’t see any evidence showing it’s wrong, only people mis-interpreting statistics.

😯

try Google 🙄

donsimon
    Free Member

It certainly helps a lot. I know from my own experience.

Completely agree and I’m there to tell the folks who haven’t got the money but do have the idea to keep on going rather than giving up. If the idea is good enough the money will find them.

yossarian
    Free Member

Quite the little genius on the quiet, aren’t you? (Again not really sure what is meant though).

Well it was apparent to me from your previous comments that your idea of helping the disadvantaged was somewhat different to the other posters. Was it not, and is it not obvious to you?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have no idea what your point is here [We can move but not be mobile?]

Really? Are you that daft? Can you not see that you can have the ability to move but not take the opportunity?

wow 1 k more than the minimum wage …I never knew such riches could wait me where do I sign up to the mobility motion

It was an example, again I’m starting to wonder about your ability to think and whether you’re actually just over-excited and blabbering nonsense because you disagree in principle. Since the quantity I quoted didn’t come with a description of the increased responsibility you’d struggle to make judgement as to whether that was a reasonable increase anyway. Your attitude is pretty much in line with the people who said no too – not willing to take small steps for small increases in responsibilty, felt the world owed them more or they’d do nothing. The guys that progressed took the little increase for a bit more responsibility, then took the next and whaddaya know, social motion!

lala land may be better than wherever you are dwelling….cloud cuckoo land perhaps?
    1 k more is not social mobility now is it.

Dear god it seems I’m aruging with an idiot. Just to remind you, it was an example and yes small steps do equate to motion. Or do you just expect to be offered a management job for 10K more despite no extra effort? Within my work place the promotional scale increases by about £800 per step, it increases with time served and responsibility. The large step increases of 3-5K only only occur if you’ve done spectacularly well and done more than requested. Is that not fair? It was the same when I worked in the council on minimum wage cleaning toilets and picking up litter. I don’t see the problem? Back then I did the extra work and got the extra pay, I do the same now. That’s how I progress.

donsimon
    Free Member

Well it was apparent to me from your previous comments that your idea of helping the disadvantaged was somewhat different to the other posters. Was it not, and isit not obvious to you?

I think you’ll find it’s not really that different from grum with regard to helping people in need. I just took your comment as a bit facetious, apologies if it wasn’t.
    What do you do in an effort to help people?

coffeeking
    Free Member

People like the chief economist of the OECD you mean? But I’m sure you know better of course.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/10/oecd-uk-worst-social-mobility

Actually that’s the interpretation of the guardian writer, not the words of the economist. And yes I would argue with the economist if they suggested what the guardian and yourself were claiming but I don’t think they are. The graph includes people’s choices and attitudes, it’s being interpretted as showing the opportunities are poor. It’s not, it’s showing the uptake of opportunities is poor and yes the world would be better if it changed. But there’s a difference, proved by the fact that people do move. While social motion may be poor, social mobility is good. If you wanted you COULD get a top flight job earning 100K if you put the effort in in the right places.

but it happens much less often and is much harder than for people from better off backgrounds. This isn’t a desirable thing and it would be better if society was fairer.

I agree it’s not a good thing but I don’t think it’s society’s fault. Kids ARE told, by society and education, that they can do anything. You ask any teacher and they’ll point out that they tell the kids they can do anything they like if they put the effort in, and in general teachers will help with that. Yes parents are often the hindrance but blaming that on society is daft, because even in the worst depths of poverty parents can be (hell, SHOULD BE) supportive and recognise their kids potential to be great. If they don’t then that’s their fault, not that of society. Society provides opportunities, people must find them and use them. Kids need help finding them, society provides that help in general, parents are the only broken link.

Give a man a fish and you’ll feed him for a day etc… Keep giving a man a fish each day and he’s unlikely to want to learn how to fish.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If you wanted you COULD get a top flight job earning 100K if you put the effort in in the right places.

😀 Drug dealing ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Are you that daft? Can you not see that you can have the ability to move but not take the opportunity?

I cant see how it answers my question but i can see how it patronised me.You said we can have social motion but not mobility I still need it explaining how we have motion without mobility…that is not an answer
    stop the puerile insults would you

Dear god it seems I’m aruging with an idiot.

ah No then
    I mean if that does not prove the veracity of your argument then who knows what will?
    is it more insults?

yes small steps do equate to motion.

so we have the motion – are they mobile yet or simply in motion but not mobile?

That graph shows social motion, not social mobility

I am none the wiser to your distinction between motion and mobility.

it’s showing the uptake of opportunities is poor

surely it would have to have the uptake of opportunities as one of the scales to actually show that,you are interpreting what it means- the reason for why it shows it rather than what it shows.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Drug dealing ?

Well, there is that option I guess! 😆

I cant see how it answers my question but i can see how it patronised me.You said we can have social motion but not mobility I still need it explaining how we have motion without mobility…that is not an answer

Are you deliberately mis-quoting me? I said you can have mobility but not motion, there’s a distinct difference. I’m not going to explain it again.

stop the puerile insults would you

There were no insults, it was a genuine question followed by an honest assessment.

ah No then
    I mean if that does not prove the veracity of your argument then who knows what will?

My argument is perfectly good, you are just mis-reading it.

so we have the motion – are they mobile yet or simply in motion but not mobile?

And now you’re showing your maturity.

I am none the wiser to your distinction between motion and mobility.

Your inability to interpret a basic sentence is not my problem.

surely it would have to have the uptake of opportunities as one of the scales to actually show that,you are interpreting what it means- the reason for why it shows it rather than what it shows.

You cannot see that a graph of income scaled by parental income shows ONLY that social motion is not occuring and shows nothing to do with available opportunity? Really? The data is useless unless combined with significantly more information. In that graph, included in the “lack of mobility” as you claim, the folk who always were rich and always will be are also counted as socially immobile, just the same as those who started off life with a reasonable family and did well and got a reasonable wage themselves. It doesn’t give an overall picture of the opportunities available, it just shows the folk don’t move about much. To give you a hint, I’d fit into that and count as a negative towards our stats as I’m on less than my parents were despite being perfectly comfortable and have chosen to do a job that pays less well so I can enjoy a better quality of life even if it means not being “well off”. So as you see, that data means nothing and quoting it ad nauseum won’t improve your argument.

donsimon
    Free Member

EDITED.
    Thanks mods.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well, there is that option I guess!

And for a lot of people the only realistic chance of having a £100k job.

I wasn’t sure if this :

“If you wanted you COULD get a top flight job earning 100K if you put the effort in in the right places.”

was a joke or not.

I’m still not sure.

yossarian
    Free Member

What do you do in an effort to help people?

I gave up a very lucrative career in the private sector to work for a local large FE college. My role is all about health, safety, security and safeguarding of disadvantaged and vulnerable young adults.

donsimon
    Free Member

So you couldn’t hack it in the real world and became a teacher in a crappy school at the poor end of town. 😉
    (May I draw your attention to the smiley, my tongue is firmly in my cheek and I’m not being at all serious…).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TOO UNNNERD!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 222 total)

The topic ‘Tory Scum’ is closed to new replies.