Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tools for my first bike build – what do I need?
  • dickydownes
    Free Member

Just embarking on my first build.

Need to put together a small toolkit. Not doing anything like fitting fork, and headrace is done, but going to try and do the rest.

Can anyone suggest a list of tools required?

d45yth
    Free Member

Set of allen keys, cable cutters, a bottom bracket tool and a cassette tool.

EDIT: A chain tool and a screwdriver or two as well.

dickydownes
    Free Member

Torque wrench?

readikus

WD40 type spray and a lot of grease.

A large tea cup, some good music, a laptop to check youtube videos, and a relaxed mindset 🙂

JEngledow
    Free Member

Torque wrench?

I’ve built quite a few bikes over the years and still don’t have one, so think its more of a optional tool, depending on budget, but I’m sure someone will be along to disagree!

*EDIT – I’ve no carbon components to worry about, but a torque wrench is still on my wish list for when I’m feeling flush/ find an unmissable bargain/ have an overwhelming desire to buy tools!!

readikus

A torque wrench is pretty essential when you are tightening bolts on carbon components – you don’t want to tighten until it goes “crunch” 🙂

luffy105
    Free Member

and a decent LBs nearby. My local shop is not a nice place and I am attempting my first build at the moment but then means i have to wait until I go to work to go to a decent LBS.

The problem I have encountered is that the parts are nearly all sourced from the classifieds here and all the nuts and bolts are the wrong size or length and tbh it is starting to get quite annoying as have had to make multiple trips to the bike shop. Luckily for me the LBS owner is extremely patient and a really nice guy always willing to give me advice. Great bike shop in York actually http://cyclescene.co.uk/

A tube of threadlock is pretty imperative too imho.

organic355
    Free Member

dont forget the persuader!!!

richmtb

No one has mentioned a workstand – would be a pain without one

Its really not all that hard – I’ve done it a few times so its clearly not rocket science.

Getting the gear cables and mechs set up right can be a PITA first time you try it but the rest is just tightening allen bolts

JEngledow
    Free Member

No one has mentioned a workstand – would be a pain without one

Something else on the nice, but not essential list, I think you need to build a few bikes without one to appreciate how good they are though!

creamegg
    Free Member

I recently built up my first bike. It was a LOT easier than I anticipated. I did everything myself in the end, although I planned on taking it to LBS for things like forks. Rear mech only takes 5 mins if you follow a simple logical order. Installed a new shifter on my other bike and that was just as easy so proved it wasn’t a fluke.

As long as you have the right tools or suitable bodge methods (eg home made bearing presses etc) it will be easy and enjoyable.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have lost count of the amount of bikes I have built but I have never used a torque wrench or threadlock.

The things you will need are allen keys, bb tool and if applicable a shimano preload tool, and a cassette bolt up adaptor thingy. That is all you really need to build a bike.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh and a tip for setting up the rear mech.

Get it fitted and adjust the upper and lower limit screws before fitting the cable.

Wind out the cable tension adjuster on the shifter a couple of turns before bolting the cable up on the mech. This is just incase you attach the cable slightly too tight so you can back it off and not have to unbolt the cable.

Now go through all the gears before fitting the chain. Align the gear on the cassette by eye with the top jockey wheel.

Now fit the chain and fine tune the gears.

This makes setting up the gears so much easier as without the chain you can actually see if the cable is too tight or loose.It totally takes away the guesswork of tuning gears. I always use this method now and when I put the chain on my new 10spd setup last night the gear shifts were perfect straight away, no faffing needed.

timmys

Slight topic deviation; is there a nice guide somewhere detailing what the best order do things in when building from scratch?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Grease. For basically everything you fit to anything else.

Edit – already pointed out. Still true, though.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Slight topic deviation; is there a nice guide somewhere detailing what the best order do things in when building from scratch?

If you don’t have a workstand.
    Headset
    Forks
    Stem
    Bars
    Wheels, including Tyres, Discs and Cassette
    Mechs
    Shifters
    BB
    Crankset
    Chain
    Brakes
    Grips
    Seatpost
    Saddle

If you have a workstand
    Seatpost
    Headset
    Forks
    Stem
    Bars
    Mechs
    Shifters
    BB
    Crankset
    Wheels, including discs and cassette
    Chain
    Brakes
    Tyres
    Grips
    Remove from workstand and fit saddle

Reason for the tyres to be fitted later when you do have a workstand is so you have more room around the wheel and can get your hands in behind the front mech.

Reason for the seatpost being fitted first when you have a workstand is thats what you want to hold the frame with. The seatpost gets in the way when you don’t have a workstand.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Will you need to bleed the brakes? (after shortening the hoses for example) Depending on what make they are you may need a special kit for this, if not you will at least need a length of clear plastic hose (aquarium shops are good for this), the correct type of brake fluid and a jar/bag to collect the excess fluid. YouTube has loads of instructional videos on all aspects of bike building if you run into problems.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Two bits of wood and a hammer for headset cups (or a vice if you’re flush), A really, really good set of cable cutters, BB tools to suit, Chain tool, Allen keys, cassette tool and chain whip.

Grease, loctite for brake rotor bolts and I’d also suggest tyre levers, a track pump & shock pump. You could get a couple of the hose inserts for your disc brakes as you don’t usually need to do a bleed when shortening.

Oh and some cable ties.

That will do you for a build.

My top tip is get a magnetic tray they are uber useful when building and don’t forget your little metal cable endy things.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Very helpful topic, thanks.

I’ll definately be refering to this when starting my new build around April/May time.

Oh, and it’s a 26″ steel hardtail for the record! 😀

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tools for my first bike build – what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.