Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Too early to remove the winter tyres ?
  • dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Hi lads you reckon it’s too early to remove the winter tyres ? I love my MM but it’s draggy.

hot_fiat

Wait until after Easter.

marcg868
    Free Member

I’m dragging my Summer bike (full suss) with summer rubber on the end of April so the week after Easter.
    Untill then its winter tyres and hardtail. Its drying out but there is still alot of full on mud areas on local trails.
    This is in deepest,darkest East Lancashire.

easily
    Free Member

I’ve just removed my mudguards – which is usually a sign that it’s going to rain solid for the next month.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I suspect some indicator of geographical location may be useful in determining this! 😆

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Here on the South Downs the full Sussers are out, all the Gnarpoons have been dusted off (with their 160mm of travel which is a necessity here in the Sussex Alps).

Pretty soon it’ll be getting dusty and people will be whining for a little rain to damp the talcum powder down!

It’ll stay that way through March and early April before dissolving into a quagmire of epic proportions and I’ll be back out on the SS hardtail with Michelin muds

marksnook
    Free Member

I have just put a high roller on the back so apologies for the incoming rain!

robbo1234biking

Mudguards removed on the weekend when I was doing the spring start up on the garden. Weather looks good for the next week at least!

Klunk
    Free Member

haven’t had to put them on 😕

towzer

Summer wheels on in Oxfordshire, worked perfectly yesterday, well apart from a mini swamp in didcot where I sank to a halt but everything else running nearly mud free

colournoise

Haven’t changed tyres for winter for a couple of years now. Even in the Northants clay I haven’t died yet. Ranger r / Dirt Wizard f and Slaughter r / Butcher f on the two main bikes.

joebristol

I’m getting tempted to take off the Mary and Dhr2 from the hardtail and put something a bit less treaded on.

If the world then ends I’ve still got a dhf and dhr2 on the FS that’d still be ok.

russyh
    Free Member

Tyres…I change A tyre but not (s) rockrazor on rear, keep Mary on all year up front. But I won’t be going semi slick until it’s proper summer. Some slick shoots still around which I would like to still have use of my rear brake on.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’ve just optimistically taken my Fat Alberts off a couple of weeks earlier than last year after 5 months of mud plugging down in Kent .
    What’s the worst that can happen?hmmmmm.

Jamze

Mud Kings coming off the hardtail today I reckon. Full sus has same tyres on all year round, I just use it a bit less in the gloop.

hodgynd
    Free Member

What are these winter tyres you speak of ..same tyres year round here ..😁

matt_outandabout

The hail and rain around Comrie this last weekend suggests I’m keeping the Trail King and Mountain King on for now.
    Then again, the Goma’s only ever go on for three months…

pedlad

Bought some for the hardtail (30% off some good tyres at Planet X( but hesitated fitting them last night for fear of invoking the rain. Maybe at the weekend of t he dry spell extends.

doomanic

I’ve just removed my mudguards – which is usually a sign that it’s going to rain solid for the next month.

I’ve just bought some, which is a surefire way of ensuring it never rains again.

philjunior
    Free Member

It depends. You can ride “summer” tyres all year round within reason, or “winter” tyres all year round.

If the drag is bothering you I’d go for something a bit harder and less nobbly on the rear and it’ll make a pretty big difference as most of your weight is over it, but you’ll still have the confidence from the front.

oikeith

Magic Mary’s all year round for me, I did switch to a rock razor last year but found it didnt really roll that much quicker and was a lot worse for braking traction so not worth the pay off.

I leave my mudhugger on all year round, the minute I plan to ride anywhere that isnt my local it’ll rain all day and I cant be dealing with the one ride I forget to put it back on and my eyes get everything chucked into them!

breadcrumb

I’ve just bought some waterproof gloves which will counteract this.

HTH

hardtailonly

I have just put a high roller on the back so apologies for the incoming rain!

That’s not exactly a fast-rolling ‘summer’ tyre …

Trails in & around Leeds are ace already, that slightly damp, firm, pre-dust phase that gives tons of grip and only in the boggiest of places is there proper mud left. A real contrast to just 2 weeks ago.

andybrad

why would you take your mary off?

robertpb
    Free Member

There are no such things as Winter or Summer tyres, there are on the other hand tyres for conditions.

pothead
    Free Member

Magic Mary/ Rock Razor for the last 6 weeks and all good, will stay that way unless I’m racing in really wet conditions then I usually go Magic Mary both ends

tomaso
    Free Member

Rocky tyres all year long

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Back mudguard off the fatbike last weekend and edna/ nate coming off next weekend. Jumbo Jims back on for Battle on the Beach and the rest of the summer. Monsoon season expected any time soon.

joebristol

Took the magic Mary and dhr2 combo off the hardtail last night and put on a shiny new pairing of On One Chunky Monkey Front /
    smogasbord rear – for £15 each I couldn’t resist a few months ago.

Run them in 26” before and they were ok – now got them in 650b – both tubeless set up / folding / dual compound.

The CM looks reasonable in size but the smog looks quite lightly treaded to me compared to everything else I’ve got. Should be fast, but when the biblical levels of rain arrive (that I’ve tempted by changing tyres, and removing mudguards from my road bike) no doubt it’ll be all over the place!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Too early to remove the winter tyres ?’ is closed to new replies.