Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Tom Scott on why Ipley Cross is so dangerous to cyclists
  • MSP

I’d just stick a gate over both the left hand lanes both sides which reduces it to a single lane and would mean drivers have to slow down and have to do a slalom to get over the junction.

From what I understood, that’s one of the things prevented by lack of lighting.

spooky_b329

So, why has this crossroads with chicanes been built in East Sussex without lighting? (I’ve never had problems navigating it using my headlights…the free range cows between the cattle grids are now of a risk!)

Beggar’s Wood Rd
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/ujB5dU4aVba24orQ7

Edit: no provision for cyclists to pass nearside of the islands either, although not sure that’s mandatory you normally see them…

Bez

That’s defined as a build-out rather than a chicane (which requires two or more build-outs). I’m just looking up the lighting regs for build-outs…

ta11pau1

Probably something to do with it being in a 40mph zone and not an NSL zone.

Same as this one near me, in a 40 zone (just before a 20 zone) and one the other side of the village.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.300214,0.5409428,3a,75y,31.73h,82.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szQ0pJ-Bl8LZ_ky5cGLDPbQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

Edit: actually they’re in 20 zones but still unlit on a country road.

Bez

20mph zones are different: no signage or lighting at all is required in those.

Signage is required elsewhere but (and this is speaking only about build-outs and chicanes rather than speed humps etc) the issue of lighting is a little murkier: I can see lots of things saying they “need lighting” or “should” be lit, but the nearby references I’m finding are to research than actual legislation. Still looking…

GrahamS

I’m a Tom Scott subscriber, so I just saw this come up on my feed and immediately recognised Bez’s name and his excellent original article.

Just a reminder, if everyone likes the video and adds a comment, it massages the youtube algorithm and helps it go viral.

It’s currently at 1,130,082 views and is #28 on Trending – so doing pretty well!

nickjb
    Free Member

20mph zones are different: no signage or lighting at all is required in those.

Pretty simple then. Make the last 50 metres or so a 20mph limit. You’ve got to stop so slowing to 20 shouldn’t be an issue

GrahamS

If people ignore the Stop sign then they’d ignore a very short “pointless” 20 limit.

sobriety
    Free Member

But then you put in the chichane/build out.

Ignore the reduction in speed and you get to explain to your insurance co/mr plod why you came to write your car off, not why you came to squash a cyclist/motorcyclist/T-bone another vehicle.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Tom Scott on why Ipley Cross is so dangerous to cyclists’ is closed to new replies.