• This topic has 142 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by paton.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)
  • Tom Pidcock
  • Jonno

He’s there, number 87

chakaping
    Free Member

He’s number 87.

Don’t do that to us again.

sbtouring
    Free Member

Wonder why there is an asterisk against his name? And its surprising he hasn’t got a team listed against him

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m guessing Ineos aren’t registered as a trade team for XC?

hels
    Free Member

Keep looking – he is at 87 – it might be based on UCI points or something.

hels
    Free Member

I think the asterisk means U23

StirlingCrispin
    ayjaydoubleyou

oops. Seems I am blind.

#87 (where they have begun numbering at #25 for reasons best known for themselves)

https://www.uci.org/mountain-bike/rankings

Seems his ranking is 17th, so that does mean he’s in the short track.

And its surprising he hasn’t got a team listed against him

From what I can work out there is a difference between being on a registered UCI mtb race team, and being effectively a privateer-bankrolled-by-Ineos.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

He could really clean up in XC with a front row start – I’m not sure even VDP would be able to hold his wheel..

jonnyrockymountain

Yeah MVP never seems to maintain his speed in the races, he always seems to blow up after a couple of laps

hels
    Free Member

MVDP is just using the XC races for a training exercise – I think if he wanted to win and targeted those events he probably could.

hels
    Free Member

For example – that bit where he shot of the front near the start – you can almost hear the coach “get in a few good sprints off the front to sharpen your legs”

mos

From what i understand, TP’s result at Albstadt gets him a start in the short track at Nove Mesto & his result from that then determines his grid place for the XCO.
    I wonder if MVP was going for one of his ‘shock and awe’ attacks, but it didn’t quite garner him the distance he expected.

frogstomp

I wonder if MVP was going for one of his ‘shock and awe’ attacks, but it didn’t quite garner him the distance he expected.

In the post-race interview he said he was trying to split the pack a bit and was hoping a few would go with him.

MVDP is just using the XC races for a training exercise – I think if he wanted to win and targeted those events he probably could.

No doubt he could win, but I think he races by feel / instinct rather than having a game plan and sticking to it. That results in some exciting races but a bit of a lottery with regards to results (see also some of his road races).

BearBack
    Free Member

Asterix is because he’s u23.

ayjaydoubleyou

Ironcily he’s basically announced his intention to do just this at the TdF. Blast about in the first week, hopefully lead for a bit, get on TV. Then DNF to prepare for Tokyo.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Anyone know what bike he’s riding? I didn’t see any mountain bikes in the Pinarello line up.

HT is a BMC 2 Stroke as said above, FS is a BMC 4 Stroke and with the discussion about forks, its the same bike Absolute Absalon were riding last year.

As above, top 16 in an XCO gets you on the grid for the following XCE (as his U23 points / standings don’t count in elite), your result in the following XCE then determines your grid position for the subsequent XCO and so on and so forth.

As for MvDP, it was a course with long drawn out climbs, so plenty of space for others to wind him back in, plus he kinda went pop

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I think MvDP is fully committed to XCO he’s stated this is his favourite discipline & Olympics are his objective – hasn’t he said its the TDF he’s doing for the team & publicity & he opted for his recent road campaign due to the non event of XCO in 2020. He won at Nove Mesto last time he dropped Nino on that technical climb.
    I fully expect MvDP to take over the mantle from Nino in the not too distant future & think its Pidcock that will edge further to more road & probably huge success – though watching him last week it seems he’s got the potential to clean up everywhere – either way last week was awesome & I expect this coming Sunday to be exactly the same – War ! 😀
    MvDP uses an SRM power meter on his Canyon Lux.

anagallis_arvensis

I get the impression that MVP is below his best but is testing the water for how hard he has to attack to get a gap, he just can’t hold it but he will be learning. Even in the short track the other day he gapped the field early and then eased back. I think most riders now realise MVP can gap them, this will get in their heads.

MrPottatoHead

Looks like they’ve had a lot of rain in Nove Mesto today which should spice things up from last weekend if its a muddy race. Not sure who that favours really – the CX’ers or the MTB purists like Nino but should make for a great race again. Didn’t Tom win the e-bike champs in some pretty grim conditions so he’s pretty handy in the mud?

DrP

Interesting tidbit.
    I was on Zwift yesterday am and Tom Pidcock was riding a low intensity workout alongside me. He had the blue tick and everything.
    I said “Great work recently Tom P, bravo”.
    He didn’t reply.
    My workout was harder than his, so i zoomed ahead.
    NO other exchanges took place.

True story.

DrP

martinhutch

NO other exchanges took place.

Strictly speaking, no exchanges took place.

dirkdestijl
    Free Member

BMC Four Stroke regarded as probably the best XC race bike out there? BMC Bikes across all disciplines well regarded apparently. Not satisfied with just seeing Pauline on one of their bikes BMC probably keen to see their bike under the pilotage of a high-performing male rider now that Sarrou has jumped ship to Specialized.

DrP

Strictly speaking, no exchanges took place.

😀

True…!

DrP

anagallis_arvensis

Pidcock did well in short track

theotherjonv

Great work there, Dr P, bravo

moonsaballoon

I’ve always been a big downhill fan and follow the EWS quite closely but haven’t really followed XC since it was on Eurosport , but after reading about Tom Pidcock’s exploits at the first world cup last week I watched the replay and watched the short course last night and really enjoyed it , especially the short course .

Whats the deal with the olympics ? There was something mentioned on commentary about GB not qualifying for a spot in the men’s Olympic race .

tails
    Free Member

Xc has improved a lot in the last 5 years or so, really thought Tom had got him but attacked once too many.

ayjaydoubleyou

Has he done a Gwin and thrown his mechanic under the bus? And ‘last minute bike switch’ is that going from HT to FS or do they have more bikes available to them?

Edit – referring to is short track post race interview on red bull.

tails
    Free Member

Not sure but I think GB are not sending an xc rider. Sure someone knows the full story

qwerty
    Free Member

Looks like they’ve had a lot of rain in Nove Mesto today which should spice things up from last weekend if its a muddy race. Not sure who that favours really – the CX’ers or the MTB purists like Nino

IIRC Nino doesn’t favour the mud, wet & cold.

qwerty
    Free Member

We now need Woot van Aert to debut a XCO……

branes

Not sure but I think GB are not sending an xc rider. Sure someone knows the full story

Discussed on this thread:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/xco-2021/

TLDR, GB’s lowly XC ranking (pre-Pidcock in essence) means we almost certainly can’t send anyone to Tokyo, but there is an unlikely scenario with qualification ‘out of our hands’.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Just watched short course replay – no spoiler if anybody hasn’t but that was very tasty 👍

StuE
    Free Member

Exciting mtb racing who would have thunk it 😁

nbt

No spoilers, but that was a strong performance

As to why Pidcock isn’t guaranteed an Olympics spot, GB haven’t qualified. If Romanian champ Vlad Dascalu finishes 24 or higher then there’s a possible spot for GB, and Tom is the obvious choice SHOULD they get the spot

nickc

Good day for Ineos!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Amazing stuff. What a hero!

BearBack
    Free Member

17th. What does that mean then?

didnthurt

I like the big double jump and tail whip on the final lap, Pidcock can really ride.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘Tom Pidcock’ is closed to new replies.