• This topic has 63 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 6 hours ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Tom Pidcock
  • Premier Icon jonnyrockymountain

Yesterday Tom won another MTB race the Swiss cup, hope this guy concentrates on MTB in the future rather than road and cyclocross as we need a top rider in the XC uci, but I think there will be more money for him to earn on the road.

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

Pidcock’s first love is cyclocross but like Matthieu Van der Poel and Wout Van Aert he’s obviously good enough to cross (sic) over to road and in both his and VdP’s case MTB. Van der Poel has stated he wishes to be world champion in all three disciplines.

Does seem a bit odd that Ineos let him ride an MTB race unless they don’t have plans for him in the major stage races.

Premier Icon mrlebowski
    Free Member

Blew that field away he did….

Premier Icon sparksmcguff

Pidcock’s first love is cyclocross

Mitch Docker’s Life in the Peloton is worth a listen. It’s not that clear that Cyclo Cross is Pidcock’s “first love”. What he says about cycling is that he wants to be the best cyclist – across all disciplines.

I really hope he maintains what he is doing whether on the road or off. He is an amazing rider all round though I’m definitely biased to seeing him race on the road.

Edit to add: Seems Ineos would prefer he wouldn’t do the MTB events but looks as though he is a good enough rider that he could dictate terms to a degree. Ineos have him lined up for at least one of the Grand Tours this year and he had a good classics season. So yeah they expect much from him.

Premier Icon scaredypants

was an odd race that – more like a 90’s xc course than a modern one, unless there were a load of technical bits that didn’t make the telly. Seemed like one really long grind.

Still, yeah, he rode away from the field really strongly

Premier Icon john

Isn’t he planning on doing MTB at the Olympics, so has switched focus to that after the classics? Not sure about plans after that.

Presumably as a top rider for ineos he’ll be on a pretty good salary, how many top MTB racers are on >1M/year? Making allowances for the Olympics is one thing, letting your top guys break themselves mountain biking shortly before the Tour de France is another.

Premier Icon big_n_daft
    Free Member

letting your top guys break themselves mountain biking shortly before the Tour de France is another.

Far more likely to be hurt in a random peloton crash than riding or racing XC

I imagine the concern is over the impact on his conditioning as the demands of XC are a lot different to classics and even more so to grand tours

Premier Icon carbonfiend
    Free Member

Completely agree about the course but really excited about him racing XCO – Shurter Avencini MvDP Sarrou Fluekiger Cink Marrot & now him 😳 it all kicks off this weekend 👍

Premier Icon jonnyrockymountain

Is Tom riding Albstadt ???

Premier Icon slowpuncheur

Yes. He’s got no ranking points so starts 92nd on the grid. Hopes for top 16.

There’s no way Tom will ride the TdF but I think Ineos will put him in the Vuelta if he has the legs after the Olympics. Whether he rides the full 3 weeks or not is another matter… this road season is about experience not results- although he’s not done too badly so far!

Premier Icon pete68
    Free Member

I think he’s doing 3 world Cup races through May. He’s hoping to race mtb at the Olympics too.

Premier Icon convert

Oh, to be that talented. There is one thing to switch between disciplines in different phases of your career but to switch almost week to week…..

I don’t know what the most obvious cross over event for a cross/mtber is on the road. Crits I guess. Grand tours seem on the face of it to be a very different beast. Surely a space could be found for him in the track pursuit team too if he wanted to dominate the world!

Premier Icon crazy-legs

Seems Ineos would prefer he wouldn’t do the MTB events but looks as though he is a good enough rider that he could dictate terms to a degree

Ineos specifically employed TP’s existing coach because they don’t have the required off-road expertise. He went to that race with 2 mechanics, a soigneur, another carer and his coach, all sorted by Ineos so I don’t think you can claim they don’t want him doing it – they clearly allocated significant resources to it.

Premier Icon Klunk
    Free Member

do you think they’ve had a conversion with G, no more sprinting please it’s obviously too dangerous for you ?

Premier Icon slowpuncheur

Pidcock needs to take G down Bike Park Wales for some tuition about staying on 2 wheels.

Premier Icon cheers_drive

I wonder if signing Pidcock is related the the Grenadier 4×4. Having an off road rider must help with marketing.

Premier Icon wipperman95
    Free Member

He has stated he wants to won as much as he can – and across various disciplines….I doubt he’d have signed for Ineos if that wasn’t allowed.

While yesterday was impressive, it wasn’t full of the top racers with only Carod of the top 10 present.

Will be interesting to see were he ends up after starting right at the back on Sunday; he’s aiming for top 16, which enables him to get in the Short track for Nove Mesto the week after.

Premier Icon carbonfiend
    Free Member

From what I understand – (told by my mate who been a roadie for eons) Pidcock is on his own agenda with his own coaching schedule, team and agenda at Ineos ?

Premier Icon ernie
    Free Member

Apparently his value as a rider allowed him to dictate his calendar (I guess to a degree). To date, he has certainly proven his worth and lived up to expectation.

It’s worth nothing that although the field was not stacked, Carod did finish 3rd at the 2020 World champs, so he’s definitely handy in the bike. However, you can never tell riders form until WC day.

The coverage on swiss sport was limited, if you are able to find it, have a look at the helmet cam videos. There were some technical elements in there. I can’t help but think that the initial climb really suited Tom, he can’t weigh much?

Premier Icon branes

I’ve heard him say more than once that he’d like to win the WC DH too. I like him, very much imo a ‘British’ cyclist, just likes the bikes like all of us. Good at winning on them too.

I did read that the Swiss course was more technical than you could see on the telly – regardless I’m pretty sure Pidcock would be up for the more technical courses anyway.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COUkZPNpNAX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

With the Olympics being such a think in the UK, it’s probably great publicity for Ineos to have him there with (surely?) a chance of a medal in the XC.

Premier Icon el_boufador

That b@stard’s local to me and took one of my most coveted local KOMs last year. (I thought it would stand forever!)

That will be the high point of his career I’m sure.

Premier Icon carbonfiend
    Free Member

Hopefully along with Evie Richards he’ll raise the profile of XCO racing as well.

Premier Icon jonnyrockymountain

Yeah the field wasn’t the best but still some good riders in the top ten ie Carrod,colombo,frischknecht,fluchiger, and was well over 3 mins in front of them

Premier Icon fooman
    Free Member

Looked like a steep CX course.

3238 ft gained over 13.71 miles is painful, a relatively low 9.6 mi/h average for Tom, shows how hard it was.

Premier Icon Bazz
    Free Member

Anyone know what bike he’s riding? I didn’t see any mountain bikes in the Pinarello line up.

Premier Icon sparksmcguff

I don’t think you can claim they don’t want him doing it

Don’t think I’m claiming that at all. I’m claiming this:

From what I understand – (told by my mate who been a roadie for eons) Pidcock is on his own agenda with his own coaching schedule, team and agenda at Ineos

Ineos don’t like stuff being out of their control. Which is fairly well known I’d say. That doesn’t mean they won’t do their utmost for a rider they value. The two things aren’t exclusive. Pidcock is one hell of a talent and has ambitions to be a great bike rider. So of course a team that values him will support him.

Premier Icon BearBack
    Free Member

BMC 2 stroke apparently

Premier Icon didnthurt

What are you watching the mountain bike racing? Can’t see it on Eurosport where I thought it’d be.

Cheers.

Premier Icon carbonfiend
    Free Member

XCO World Cup is on Red Bull TV (free app) The race in question last weekend was on Swiss chanel Swiss Sport TV.

Premier Icon wipperman95
    Free Member

Hopefully along with Evie Richards he’ll raise the profile of XCO racing as well.

We really need a round of the XC World Cup in the UK – it’s been far too long without one. And a CX World Cup as well……

Just need to find backers with the money – and a venue.

Premier Icon dawson

Ineos Grenadiers shared it on their Facebook page – I watched a full replay this afternoon.

Premier Icon didnthurt

The link seems to have expired and I can’t find any other highlights on the web. I’ll keep an eye out though for the next UCI round.

Premier Icon wipperman95
    Free Member

Premier Icon didnthurt

Cheers for the links 👍

Premier Icon didnthurt

Did you see what bike Pidcock was on?

It seems that Pinarello don’t make mountain bikes anymore so he’s riding an unbranded BMC, but the surprising thing is the fork being Suntour.

https://www.bikeperfect.com/news/tom-pidcock-to-race-xco-world-cups-and-olympic-games-on-unbranded-bmc

Premier Icon wipperman95
    Free Member

One wonders how/why they made their equipment choices.

Last year with Trinity Racing I think he was on an Epic, with Sram and RockShox forks. It was assumed, as Pinarello don’t have a MTB, he’d use an unbranded Epic, but with Shimano groupset.

However, when they released the testing coverage, it was all change; BMC bike, with Suntour forks/shocks, plus Shimano XTR groupset, and Continental tyres.

Premier Icon sl2000

Great to see him racing XC!

I watched the first lap or so of the video and noticed that he looked very cautious over the feature on the 1st lap at 27:20 in https://youtu.be/fJTjdIL4Vm0?t=1640

Premier Icon mick_r

The Suntour forks have been pretty common at WC races – carbon crown, legs and sub 1500g so hardly junk. I presume also some kind of sponsor / contractual reasons.

Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/entry-list-nove-mesto-xc-world-cup-2021.html

No Pidcock on the start list for Nove Mesto? Or am I blind?

Premier Icon snowy1
    Free Member

Elite men – No 87

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.