Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Today's dull topic – Pillows
  • lunge

Just bought a new bed, thought I’d treat myself to new pillows too (the rock’n’roll life i lead…). At the moment I have crap, old feather pillows so I suspect anything will be an improvement.

Having spent far too much time in a bed shop, I have no tried memory foam (feel very supportive, will they get too hot?), some pocket sprung ones (also felt very nice, might go flat?) and some down ones (lovely, but are they worth the extra).

So dear STW, what do you have, do you like them and by extension, what should I buy?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I only use feather/down pillows, and the JORDRÖK from Ikea is excellent. They do a softer/firmer option at £10 and £15 respectively. My partner uses the £6 polyester version, HAMPDÅN, and is smitten. Superb value pillows.

dannybgoode

We’ve just splurged out on a Tempur Cloud each.

Guaranteed to keep their shape and comfort for 3 years.

Phenomenal pillows – just so comfortable. The exact opposite of cheap though.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I don’t have a massive view on pillows other than the take @instachaz has on them on Twitter

kormoran
    Free Member

Wool pillows are where it’s at. (He whispered sheepishly)

https://www.baavet.co.uk/wool-pillow

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use Tempur Clouds too.. the Mrs’s has some funny bobbly pillow as her main one (from the Tempur range) and been very pleased.

Cheap they’re not, but you only sleep once a night so hey..

Cougar

I got some Silentnight synthetic ones a few months back. They were shit. Went in the bin after a week. Don’t get those.

Can’t remember what I replaced them with now. Slumberland maybe? They’re alright.

Cougar

We’ve just splurged out on a Tempur Cloud each.

Guaranteed to keep their shape and comfort for 3 years.

Phenomenal pillows – just so comfortable. The exact opposite of cheap though.

You’re not kidding. First hit on Google, “Sale: £71, was £129” – for one pillow!

Also, apparently “Daily fluffing and puffing will help to maintain this product”

MrWoppit
    Free Member

M&S goose down. £35 a pop.

Two layers… fluffy outer with more compact core to keep shape.

Unbelievably comfortable and worth every penny.

Trust me, I’m a sleeper.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Small world … today for the first time ever i went to Dunelm.. this follows 2 months of “Pillowgate”

Wife took it upon herself 2 months ago to change the pillows throwing my beloved head support of some 10 years.Since this happened behind my back I will say the sleepless nights have caused a few words,but last night id had enough, jet lag and first day back in after 15days off. It had to stop Dunlem 9am, result two new goose and duck down plump head cushions,so good ive already had an hour.. not cheap at £39 each but worth every penny.

ps both mine and if she steals I will withhold conjugal

sprootlet
    Free Member

Stevedoc….with that threat she’s bound to steal 😉

myti
    Free Member

Love my otty memory foam pillow that came with the new mattress. Best pillow I’ve ever had!

ratherbeintobago

TK Maxx.

stevedoc
    Free Member

sprootlet; saves me using the pillow as a gag ! fingers crossed 😉

Cougar

I hear that corduroy pillows are making headlines at the moment.

RustySpanner

They certainly make an impression.

z1ppy

Temple Ergonomic Pillows & a cheaper std memory foam pillow too, for us. As for the cost, it’s the same argument that you spend more on your mattress/bed due to the amount of time you spend in it.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Memory Foam – I find a memory foam mattress too hot and had the same issue with the pillows. Also, due to sweating on them they became very smelly and they’re not washable so no way to get rid of the smell.

I like more support that a down pillow – currently have a Latex pillow from latexsense. A supportive feel like memory foam but not sweaty and hasn’t (after c 2 years) picked up any smell.

https://www.latexsense.co.uk/traditional-dunlop-latex-pillow/p45

FuzzyWuzzy

I found memory foam pillows too hard, felt OK to start with but I’d wake in the night with a sore ear from the pressure – they were pretty cheap though (under £20) so the more expensive ones might be better.

I just use synthetic ones, prefer the box shape rather than normal pillow shape to – I plan on replacing every year or two so as long as they’re comfy I can’t see the point in shelling out more than £15 each.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Wool pillows are where it’s at. (He whispered sheepishly)

https://www.baavet.co.uk/wool-pillow

+1

and duvets from them…

Scapegoat

Stop!!!!

Go to IKEA and splurge fifteen quid on their down pillows. I got some a week or two back and can state they are the comfiest ever. Mrs Scape agrees.

dantsw13

I hate feather pillows, or any other “disappear to nothing” ones. I like a good supportive pillow, and have been using a Dunlopillo Latex one for years now the “rubber brick” as my wife calls it. I have a spare one which I take with me around the world, and on holiday. Life is too short to put up with cr@@@y holiday home pillows!!

lunge

Well then, we went for some Ikea down pillows, they feel very nice indeed. Not slept on them yet, my wife has insisted we try the whole lot together, new mattress, new duvet, new pillows and the mattress doesn’t arrive until Friday. This either means we’ll have a wonderful, blissful night on soft new things or we’ll both struggle as our entire sleeping arrangements have changed. Place your bets please…

Ro5ey
    Free Member

You’re not kidding. First hit on Google, “Sale: £71, was £129” – for one pillow!

Also, apparently “Daily fluffing and puffing will help to maintain this product”

Believe me when I say this …

WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY OF THAT COST.

We’ve had them for at least ten years… they will be as comfortable tonight as the first night we laid our heads on them… without Fluffing or indeed puffing, I might add… An excellent excellent purchase.

Oh … and added bonus …. they are great for pillow flights… they weight a fair bit and if you get it right you’ll be able to knock the kids clean off the bed. 🙂

Oh Oh … I didnt see your above post…. remember mine when you have to buy new pillows in a years time 🙂

Good luck … slept tight 🙂

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I have a spare one which I take with me around the world, and on holiday

really? damn heavy my Latex pillow and doesn’t compress. I sometimes take it by car in the UK but not if i’m going to have to put it in a bag. Wife takes her down one in a stuff sack and it packs down.

dantsw13

Yep! Travels everywhere with me and I wouldn’t be without it. After years of hateful hotel pillows it’s worth it’s (considerable) weight in gold.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Today's dull topic – Pillows’ is closed to new replies.