Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 404 total)
  • Today, if you're English…
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohh FFS!!

epicyclo

If you're English you should be proud of your country, it's done may great things.

Nothing wrong with patriotism.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Read the thread!!

It talks about british design and british engineering.

Nothing to do with the war
    Nothing to do with the people who flew it.

Eh? I thought it was about being English?

'Nothing to do with the War'? 'Nothing to do with the people who flew it'???

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Happy St Georges Day everyone and wish you a great weekend.

LHS
    Free Member

Sorry, sleepy after lunch, updated post

Its about english design and english engineering

JEngledow
    Free Member

I think the only thing that could make this anymore English would be if we had to queue up and discuss the weather before we could complain and argue!! 😆 🙄

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've really been trying very hard not to bite on this so far, but here goes, one little nip! 😉

'Nothing to do with the War'? 'Nothing to do with the people who flew it'???

etc. etc….

Only if you make it so. The original opinion from LHS who posted the first Spitfire pic was
    "Its not a celebration of wars, its a celebrations of great english designs, designers, and engineering, something we should all be proud of as an engineering nation."

But some people just CANNOT leave an opinion at face value. They HAVE to argue. Their opinion MUST be right. It MUST be better.

When, in fact, it's just out of context, boring, and sad.

That's it. Said my piece. 🙂
    ——————————————-

So, let's have another iconic English thing –

oldgit
    Free Member

You know for a fact that that would be insulting do you?

As a piece of briliant engineering it's worthy of iconic status alone.

I could actually ask an old Polish guy on Sunday.

binners

This thread is the very epitome of Englishness. Petty, Small-minded, bad-tempered, deliberately provocative and argumentative. Keep it up. Tally ho! 😀

binners

oh, and….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL @ Binners. 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Only if you make it so. The origional opinion form LHS who posted the first Spitfire pic was
    "Its not a celebration of wars, its a celebrations of great english designs, designers, and engineering, something we should all be proud of as an engineering nation.

I'm sorry, but you can't separate an instrument of war from War itself. it would be lovely and convenient to forget the nasty War bit, but that would be forgetting the brave souls who fought for our freedom. As wonderful a piece of engineering as the Spitfire was, it was designed and built as a weapon. Not like some nice little sports car.

It's iconic status was created by those who flew it. They must never be forgotten.

Why must it solely be an 'English' thing? Why can't it be representative of all those who fought against Fascism? It wasn't just England that fought against the Nazis…

There's another 'English ' trait; ignoring history…

uplink
    Free Member

I give you Sir Barnes Neville Wallis

LHS
    Free Member

Talkemada,

Why don't you just leave it and accept that there are varying opinions. Ok? Best of luck.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

continue to reclaim a pride in being English – but make it a pride in the liberal freedom loving English – not the nationalistic fascist ones

Superb!

oldgit
    Free Member

They never will be Talkemada please don't worry about that.

And onwards. We shouldn't forget the 'Great Stately Homo of England'

His own description of himself so don't have a cow.
    Edit; Unless you're Nick Griffin then please go ahead and have a very very large cow.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl

Ooooooooooooh, Robert Plant. Sex god.

Aristotle
    Free Member

binners – Member

This thread is the very epitome of Englishness. Petty, Small-minded, bad-tempered, deliberately provocative and argumentative. Keep it up. Tally ho!

….and, were we all to meet in the real world at a bus stop, we would, despite our differences, form an orderly queue whilst apologising for being bumped into by everybody in the process.

We would then tut if the bus was late and sit as far apart as possible when we did get onto the bus.

hp_source

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm sorry, but you can't separate an instrument of war from War itself

I can.

EDIT

Don't tell me what I can and cannot do.

molgrips
    Free Member

A Welsh pride thread would have to have things on it that were Welsh not British.

So what about things that are English and NOT British?

uplink
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Uplink – WOW! 🙂

LHS
    Free Member

uplink, thats the best homebrew set up i've ever seen!

uplink
    Free Member

It's lovely isn't it?

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah I forgot about the Thermos flask.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It is indeed an object of rare beauty. 🙂

EDIT
    I mean the engine, not the flask! 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The expropriation of British Icons as English ones such as the spitfire are a symptom of the malaise that upsets the non english brits.

Was it England or Britain that fought in the war, built and flew these planes?

Celebrate England and Englishness by all means – just don't confuse British with English

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Celebrate England and Englishness by all means – just don't confuse British with English

I'm not. That's your job. 😉

kimbers

im proud to be english and british every day

i dont really need a day devoted to some christian saint forced upon us by our norman conquerers to feel good about this country

hainey
    Free Member

The expropriation of British Icons as English ones such as the spitfire are a symptom of the malaise that upsets the non english brits.

Was it England or Britain that fought in the war, built and flew these planes?

TJ. You've made your point i think.

Now back to the pub for another spitfire.

soobalias
    Free Member

good to see nearly 250 posts celebrating St Georges Day

I wish the best for all of you.

*raises a glass of ale * to this warm sunny green yet dusty plesant land

Ride on.

Aristotle
    Free Member

(The Hovercraft, not the RNLI)

smoothchicken

uplink – +1 for the 'beer engine'!

Aristotle
    Free Member

-terrible book, mind…

LHS
    Free Member

oldgit
    Free Member

Designed in England built in England, later on parts were built elsewhere.
    Britain amongst others fought in the war?

The plane itself however is of English origin design and build. It is what it is that we celebrate not what it did. It is not a symbol of England, but it is a symbol of great engineering which just so happens to be English.

LHS
    Free Member

+1

JEngledow
    Free Member

LHS, The Vanguard class submarines are British (Royal Navy) and are all based in Scotland, how is that English?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 404 total)

The topic ‘Today, if you're English…’ is closed to new replies.