Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 404 total)
  • Today, if you're English…
  • zokes
    Free Member

Depends if you like them a little chubby or not i guess.

I suppose I do a little, but I'm not quite sure what that has to do with the photo that was posted there, unless these are more to your taste?

uplink
    Free Member

Just got in. Is this 9 pages of infantile squabbling about racism or shall I read it?

It's generally OK with just a few colonials huffing & puffing

JEngledow
    Free Member

She's not what I'd call fat:

(edit -she's Miss England I think!)

hainey
    Free Member

Perhaps its my widescreen monitor. As i said each to their own. rkk haven't looked at many blokes bums but obviously you have so i will let you educate us all on that! 😉

edit: Oh i agree, she definitly isn't fat.

edit again: Although those thighs are a fair old size! 😉

Drac

Although those thighs are a fair old size

All the better for keeping my ears warm.

geminafantasy
    Free Member

**** nationalism, the few hundred million dead who died in the name of it is a good enough argument in itself, seems to me to just be a relic of our tribal past we would do well without, I'm with John Lennon, the whole world should be as one! 😛

zokes
    Free Member

**** nationalism

I totally agree, although I think the thread was started on the premise of patriotism…

geminafantasy
    Free Member

hmmm, I think patriotism and nationalism are so similar they are pretty much synonymous, hence 'the great patriotic war' (which incidentally left 20 million Russian patriots dead). I think there must be better things to celebrate than simply in which political boundaries you were born in/belong to, which seems pretty arbitrary. I'd like to see days celebrating specific huge advancements in science, medicine or engineering across countries as an achievement for humanity rather than promoting divides between countries through patriotism/nationalism! I just can't see how it can do humanity any good in the long term, if anyone out there can change my mind please do because right now I feel very left out! I want to change! 🙂

RustySpanner

Samuel Johnson was good as well.
    Shame no one uses his ideas anymore…….. 😀

zokes
    Free Member

I just can't see how it can do humanity any good in the long term, if anyone out there can change my mind please do because right now I feel very left out! I want to change!

I very much doubt it'll ever do humanity any good whatsoever, but we're all animals, and the number one instinct of animals is to try to survive at all costs. Unfortunately, that either means being on your own, or being in a group. Humans as a species seem to like groups, and the key to this means being in the best group. When there aren't enough resources for the group (oil, food, water), members get a little tetchy. I doubt you'll ever get rid of the grouping mentality…

Talkemada
    Free Member

zokes – Member
    From your link, Fred…

The word moron, along with others including "retarded", "idiotic", "imbecilic", "stupid", and "feeble-minded", was formerly considered a valid descriptor in the psychological community, but it is now deprecated in use by psychologists.
    I've underlined the important bits for you…

Well, I can't speak for 'Fred', but if you're aiming such a comment in my direction, I'd be interested in knowing why you think using such a term to describe me is valid?

Just interested in your reasoning behind your insulting behaviour, like.

Talkemada
    Free Member

And whoever thinks that young lady's bottom is too fat, doesn't have any idea what a real woman looks like….

zokes
    Free Member

Well, I can't speak for 'Fred', but if you're aiming such a comment in my direction, I'd be interested in knowing why you think using such a term to describe me is valid?

Just interested in your reasoning behind your insulting behaviour, like.

Well, 'Fred' was banned from here several times, hid for a while, then several people noted that you seem to be a bit like him, just without his slightly annoying 'duzznts' etc. Last time he cropped up after an enforced absence, he also stopped typing like that for a while, but still had the same stupid arguments, which ultimately gave him away. If you're not Fred, then hard luck for being very like him. Regardless of whether Fred deserved any of those insults in real life, he certainly deserved most of them (and more) online.

EDIT: See here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/search.php?q=Talkemada+fred&x=0&y=0

geminafantasy
    Free Member

True zokes, but I'd say survival is on about the same plane as procreation when it comes to instincts and some people (monks, etc.) can control those instincts maybe it is possible to stop a grouping instinct that is an offshoot of survival? Hopefully a future without any of the archaic human instincts that do us no good will be a reality one day! I think the whole spitfire debate shows it well, and the people who first put the pics up then tried to argue that they were simply displaying British/English design and engineering are kidding themselves, it is a symbol of one group of peoples resistance against another countries nationalism! If you want a good example English brilliance, discovery of the structure of DNA anyone? Has done massive amounts for humanity as a whole and it all happened in good old Cambridge! 🙂 But can I being English be proud of that? what connection to Crick and Watson do I have to them, other than my passport bears the same stamp? I find my lack of patriotism deeply unnerving, most STW'ers seem pretty intelligent and the vast majority on here seem to be overflowing with patriotism today, so I'm now of the opinion that I must be missing something! What's wrong with me! 😕

zaskar
    Free Member

I'm not inger-lish.

But happy St. Georges Day! :mrgreen:

Shame you don't have a bank holiday either-that would be nice!

stratobiker
    Free Member

Still at it?
    Blimey, that's very English of you!
    Well done chaps.

BTW – Did anyone mention the mighty Marshall Amplifiers? English!
    Norton, Triumph, James, Francis Barnet, Villiers, Ariel, BSA – All English. Admittedly all gone, but….

SB

Edit – Hang on!

it is a symbol of one group of peoples resistance against another countries nationalism!

….

The spitfire is no such shiz. What u on about?

Drac

I'd like to see days celebrating specific huge advancements in science, medicine or engineering

Gunpowder, Nuclear missiles and Spitfire.

geminafantasy
    Free Member

stratobiker – I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you read it as if I meant it is a general symbol for resistance against nationalism, which I didn't. Either that or you need some serious history lessons 😉

geminafantasy
    Free Member

drac – ok then medicine… 😀

uplink
    Free Member

Crick and Watson do I have to them, other than my passport bears the same stamp?

Watson was American IIRC

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Going back to Alfred, it was Offa of Mercia who is first recorded as mooting the idea of an 'Anglaland' or land of all the English. Alfred of Wessex held defiantly fast in the face of the Danish Grand Army & eventually defeated it at the battle of Ethandun in AD 878.
    However, it was his grandson AEthelstan who really created the boundaries of the modern state of England.
    He led his army into the Danelaw & wrested it back into English hands, defeated the Scots, the Picts & the Strathclyde Welsh* before heading back down the Western coast to attack the 5 Welsh Princedoms.
    The Princedoms capitulated and agreed to pay an annual tribute of:-
    1500lb gold
    3000lb silver
    30'000 head of cattle * as many hunting dogs & hawks as the King did require – one hell of a tax on a dark-age economy!

It was English stubborness & defiance that led in 50yrs from the 5 square miles of Athelney marsh, which was all that Alfred held before Ethandun, to the creation of the English state under his grandson AEthelstan.

Now, off to buy several bottles of Bombardier – hopefully the Burning Gold edition! 😆

*In old English Walesch(Welsh) is a word meaning 'foreigner/outsider/other' therefore Strathclyde Welsh means the foreigners who live in Strathclyde.

geminafantasy
    Free Member

uplink – Yeah that is true! Didn't know that, point still stands though, it was just an example, albeit a semi incorrect one 🙂

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Well, I've got to say this isn't what I hoped it would be, but it is kind of what I half expected. I personally find it all a bit childish to be honest. One person posts something they associate with their Englishness and then half are trying to prove it is English, half of you trying to argue it isn't. Then all the people who feel that they need to tell everyone they don't feel English. Whoopee for you. No, really. You telling me why you think it's archaic will help me realise that I am wrong.

Here's what I meant to do. I meant to express my feelings about being English. I hoped (and for 50% of this I was right) that other people would say why they feel proud to be English. But instead we get petty arguments that mean nothing in the great scheme of things. Ok, you don't feel English. Ok, you don't think certain things are English. Ok, you don't feel any national affiliation and feel we should all get along together. Great. But this isn't "I don't feel English" day. It isn't "your idea of what's English is wrong" day either.

Whatever being English means to you, today is a day to celebrate it. Be it a spitfire, a pint of spitfire, stone henge, football, cricket, scones, fish and chips or whatever. Enjoy being English. Just for today, because as sure as a pound to a penny we'll all be reminded of our father's sins, our mixed heritage and not actually being English and inumerable other things tomorrow.

trailmonkey

well said.

Talkemada
    Free Member

fish and chips or whatever

Fried fish: Dutch Jewish import
    Chips: From potatoes; American import, first fried probably in France

Sorry! 😳

Whatever being English means to you, today is a day to celebrate it. Enjoy being English. Just for today

Today is no different to any other, unless you're a Christian who recognises St George as a saint with relevance and influence on your life.

I'm proud to be English every single day. I don't need anyone to tell me to be.

geminafantasy
    Free Member

tree-magnet – I wasn't just saying I don't feel English, I was simply saying why atm I'm not feeling it and looking for someone to give a decent enough reason to support days like today, because I am genuinely feeling left out, most people feel very strongly for something I don't, why shouldn't I be curious as to why?

PS if you go onto internet forums expecting other posters to keep to your strict idea of what you think they should be putting, you are always going to be disappointed aren't you?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Zokes; whoever you've mixed me up with, the fact remains that you've insulted me.

Just because I have opinions which differ to yours, does not make me intellectually subnormal. Seriously, I find your comments offensive and unnecessary.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Today is no different to any other, unless you're a Christian who recognises St George as a saint with relevance and influence on your life.

I'm proud to be English every single day. I don't need anyone to tell me to be.

I'm not Christian, and like you I am proud to be English everyday. However, if I overtly express this everyday, it would become tiresome and annoying to others. So, it seems logical to have one day when we can fully express our feelings. Join together with others who feel the same. We should pick a day that has been used before, that is part of our folklore and something that has until recentley been marginilised and claim it back. That day is today, in my opinion. If you don't feel the same, fair enough, but you are expressing a lot of energy to tell us that do that we're wrong.

tree-magnet – I wasn't just saying I don't feel English, I was simply saying why atm I'm not feeling it and looking for someone to give a decent enough reason to support days like today, because I am genuinely feeling left out, most people feel very strongly for something I don't, why shouldn't I be curious as to why?

Fair one, I think I picked up on yours because after catching up 3 pages and getting steadilly more peeved, yours was the last one before I posted. At the end of the day (besides the D and E layer dissapering and the F1 and F2 combining) I feel part of a cultural identity. A bastardised one, which I think is one of the great things about it. People have pointed out things that have come to our country from others that have made it better, and it's that attitude that I would like to see celebrated.

PS if you go onto internet forums expecting other posters to keep to your strict idea of what you think they should be putting, you are always going to be disappointed aren't you?

Thank you for my introduction to forums. 😉

In all honesty I did expect this, but I hoped that those who wanted to express there views that weren't in celebration of an English day would instead perhaps stay out of it. I didn't have a strict theme for this thead, that'd be silly. I hoped that people would maybe express what England means to them, or how they feel about it. Not try to tear down others ideas of what it means to them. I suppose the religon threads should have taught me that!!

falkirk-mark

This is great it's like the old STW

zokes
    Free Member

Zokes; whoever you've mixed me up with, the fact remains that you've insulted me.

Just because I have opinions which differ to yours, does not make me intellectually subnormal. Seriously, I find your comments offensive and unnecessary.

It's the internets, get over yourself. If you can't, then maybe you have a cap that fits – wear it…

Talkemada
    Free Member

No problem. I'll just remember not to pay any respect to any future comments you might make, you brave little keyboard warrior you.

Pity you can't put all that energy into coming up with owt intelligent. Ah well…

zokes
    Free Member

No problem. I'll just remember not to pay any respect to any future comments you might make, you brave little keyboard warrior you.

Oh how ironic, Fred. Sadly you gave yourself away with the 'owt'. Knew you wouldn't be able to resist using your fake dialect for long. Perhaps you should go and enjoy yourself away from all those nasty keyboard warriors eh? Still sulking because Chipps never did let you have that shirt?

Talkemada
    Free Member

What was that? Did someone say something?

AAAAAAAAAnyway…

zokes
    Free Member

But that's not English, as other people use it as a condiment too, and oil seed rape blah blah blah……

binners

Can I just add this:

My first car and and a Triumph of whichever English engineer mused thoughtfully "What would happen if we put an engine in a roller skate?"

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Oh bollocks, this thread really ruined my evening, I hope you all get to have a wonderful night/life.

Enjoy what you do, just don't ruin others fun. A lot of people on here remind me of a school bully kicking the kids ball over the fence so they can't have any more fun kicking it about in the playground, some should know better, others have no idea, and yes that was deliberately condescending.

Jamie
    Free Member

*skips to the end*

Just back from the pub. People dressed up in St Georges tops and hats, some not…especially my welsh mate. Everyone chilled and fun had by all. That is all.

End of thread.

stratobiker
    Free Member

geminafantasy – Member

stratobiker – I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you read it as if I meant it is a general symbol for resistance against nationalism, which I didn't. Either that or you need some serious history lessons

Thanks 🙂

@2unfit2ride – "this thread really ruined my evening"….. I'm really sorry to read that. But remember these guys that were arguing crap today were the same guys putting themselves out for a missing bro' the other day (sharki thread). Sorry for the Americanisms. Have a great weekend.

SB 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

My first car was a Triumph Spitfire !

yunki
    Free Member

A lot of people on here remind me of a school bully kicking the kids ball over the fence so they can't have any more fun kicking it about in the playground

That's exactly what I thought when I first stumbled into this place.. either that or it was being used as a clandestine meeting place for a bunch of militant young conservatives.. who couldn't help spouting off viciously at the natives to win the head prefects favour when they had drunk a few too many pimms..

unfortunately my obsession with cycling has forced me to grow a thick skin..
    this saddens me greatly

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 404 total)

The topic ‘Today, if you're English…’ is closed to new replies.