Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 404 total)
  • Today, if you're English…
  • ourkidsam
    Free Member

For me:

(I was trying to find a suitable photo of Vicky P but she rides for Britain rather than England)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We should, however, have a national day celebrating the achievements of a man who actually did something for Britain

**Stands up and claps!**

Indeed we should. Indeed we should…… 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Another one for Lobby Dosser

Om nom nom nom!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tracknicko
    Free Member

yes.

and yes again.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

But I'm not celebrating some bloke called George. It's merely a day to celebrate being English, and the (what should be) proud traditions, mythology and cultural heritage that goes along with that.

Haze

Never bothered with it tbh.

Good luck to those that do, have a great day…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm liking the English landscape pics too, I was thinking that myself, but went off on a different tack 🙂

LHS
    Free Member

binners

I've just taken the little'un into school and they're all wearing red and white. Nice to see it celebrated.

And as an English image goes, this isn't a crass second world war reference

Just possibly the most beautiful aircraft ever to grace the skies. And sounds even better. Just what we can do when we put our minds to it eh?

binners

Great minds eh LHS? 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Can we have a Spitfire pic or are war planes not PC?
    Or even better an audio link to a Rolls Royce Merlin engine at full chat (gives men of a certain age a little sex wee)

Edit; DOH

tracknicko
    Free Member

not interested in wars and death and fighting. nice that we are so patriotic on the subject but at what loss of life? people talk about WW2 these days as if it was a good thing. – get a grip folks.

LHS
    Free Member

Its not a celebration of wars, its a celebrations of great english designs, designers, and engineering, something we should all be proud of as an engineering nation.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England's mountains green?
    And was the holy Lamb of God
    On England's pleasant pastures seen?

No.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I like how you use fighter planes as an example of "englishness" – are they not British??

LHS
    Free Member

Designed by englishmen, built in england.

votchy
    Free Member

Happy St George's Day to all, am one of only 2 people in a large open plan office with approx 500 people in it that seems to be embracing the celebration, I have St George cross flags on my desk and he is wearing white shirt, red tie and St George cross cufflinks, we have both just had a full English breakfast too 😀

binners

tracknicko – get a grip. Nobodies celebrating war. We're celebrating a thing of beauty. And as Oldgit says – a Rolls Royce Merlin at full tilt makes the hairs on your neck stand up

gottapickapenny
    Free Member

Basil Fawlty

Sex Pistols

Tinternet

Parlimentary democracy

Lotus

Damien Hirst

grumm
    Free Member

You can keep most of the rest of it – sorry.

Think we should all remember how lucky we are to live here though.

romster
    Free Member

@PeterPoddy – where the hell is that grub from???? That looks well worth a visit!!!!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

United States of Europe, please.

Bedds
    Free Member

Yep.. Happy St Georges Day.. I'm proud to be English every day of the year but it's nice that we can have a day when everybody thinks about it

gonefishin
    Free Member

Spitfire and Harrier are British not English and the Typhoon is a pan European development. To co-opt second world war Battle of Britain image as "English" is rather crass and is rather demeaning to all the other nationalities who fought.

If you are going to celebrate what is great about being English then can I suggest choosing something that is uniquely English? Just a thought.

grumm
    Free Member

Maybe stuff like this is why some people have a bit of a problem with English nationalism?

grim168
    Free Member

Eurofighter typhoon ain't just english.

slowjo
    Free Member
    LHS
    Free Member

gonefishin, get a grip and stop being a dick, we're not talking about war.

Spitfire was designed by an english man for an english company
    Harrier was designed by an english man for an english company
    Eurofighter was designed by a bunch of english men working at a company in england 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

not interested in wars and death and fighting. nice that we are so patriotic on the subject but at what loss of life? people talk about WW2 these days as if it was a good thing. – get a grip folks.

I think you're seeing the obvious and missing the point, it's about the british/English spirit, design and overcoming adversity, not the killing.

Incidentally the spitfire was entirely English designed and built, by and English designer and company. But it did, obviously, fight for the UK.

oldgit
    Free Member

Anyone actually celebrating. It'll be a day or so late but our local puts on a mini beer festival showcasing local breweries and lays on massive roasts nomnomnomslurpnomslup. also loads of tradition games and it's surprising how much kids of all ages enjoy them. Good day and just across the road.

twinklydave

England can be awesome sometimes 🙂

grumm
    Free Member

Incidentally the spitfire was entirely English designed and built,

Apart from the ones built in Poland, as used by the BNP in their poster. 😉

retro83
    Free Member

Lifer
    Free Member

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I found one!

LHS
    Free Member

Maybe stuff like this is why some people have a bit of a problem with English nationalism?

I think most people, including me, tend to ignore the tripe that those bunch of c***'s put out to be honest and not let it affect the pride we should so rightly have in our nation.

grumm
    Free Member

I think most people, including me, tend to ignore the tripe that those bunch of c***'s put out to be honest and not let it affect the pride we should so rightly have in our nation.

So you don't see any possible connection between patriotism and xenophobia/racism etc?

tracknicko
    Free Member

i wasnt saying anyone here was spouting that WW2 or any other wars were a good thing. i just find it a shame that our 'national' symbols happen to be war machines.

plenty of other major english engineering achievements to be proud of!

Lifer
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member
    i wasnt saying anyone here was spouting that WW2 or any other wars were a good thing. i just find it a shame that our 'national' symbols happen to be war machines.

plenty of other major english engineering achievements to be proud of!

+1

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

romster – Member

@PeterPoddy
    – where the hell is that grub from???? That looks well worth a visit!!!!

Stop it with all this grub talk.

*stomach noise is deafening now*

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 404 total)

The topic ‘Today, if you're English…’ is closed to new replies.