Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Toast
  • kayla1
    Free Member

Toast is lush.

OH makes awesome jam, we’re still on last year’s apple and blackberry. Anyone tried Aldi’s super-deluxe passion fruit curd? It is awesome! Also both Lidl and Aldi do a proper peanut butter now (ie all peanut, no added shite), which is nice.

TiRed

Dualit commercial type toaster which should last me to my dying day.

It won’t. We’re on our third in 15 years. A decent timer would not go amiss.

Toasted proper rye or soda bread, goats cheese and chilli jam FTW. Or a white doorstop and butter. Or a bun. Yea a bun before bedtime.

Kuco

It’s gotta be strawberry jam, can’t be doing with the pips in raspberry.

Recycled my toaster as it was shit and found the grill on the oven did a much better job.

dyna-ti

Toast – Staple diet if you’re in hospital. Nurses are always trying to fill you full of the stuff(and cups of milk)

Maybe toast has healing properties 😕

Kryton57

Marmite Peanut butter on toast – the best.

I make my own now with proper palm oil free peanut butter and marmite spread across/mixed in, awesome.

Marmite Peanut butter on toast

I’d never heard of such a thing. Off to order some now! Two of my favorite toast toppings combined!

edit, yikes $18

b230ftw
    Free Member

It won’t. We’re on our third in 15 years. A decent timer would not go amiss.

We’ve had ours 15 years now and was second hand when we got it! Never needed any spare parts which you can buy easily.
    Are you using them correctly?

b230ftw
    Free Member

Toast – Staple diet if you’re in hospital. Nurses are always trying to fill you full of the stuff(and cups of milk)

I’ve never wanted to be hospitalised more!

Toast with some ice cold milk is my idea of heaven.

jam-bo

Too many toppings here.

hot toast, real butter. Thick enough it’s still melting as you eat it.

if only I had a toaster…

Kryton57

edit, yikes $18

Like I said, cheaper to make your own and your can of course vary the PB/Marmite ratio to taste.

PB on first, then a liberal knife edge of marmite spread to a consistent mix across the toast served with freshly ground coffee.

And, for added luxury another marmite related mix – drop the PB, and put Marmite on your toast before topping with two poached eggs.

MrPottatoHead

Marmite Peanut butter on toast – the best.

Off to order some now! Two of my favorite toast toppings combined!

Marmite & Peanut butter is a heavenly combo, but not the pre-made stuff which IMO has the ratio way off; not nearly enough marmite. Needs to be two separate jars and toast at the right temperature for decent melting & combining of ingredients.

mogrim

Bimbo bread? 🤨

A Spanish brand, after 25 years here it still makes me laugh:

Bimbo!

“Nocilla” is a Spanish version of Nutella. Not sure if there’s any difference, but they sell it in jars without a screw top, and everyone uses them as glasses. I’ve got at least 5 in the cupboard 🙂

nocilla

Anyway, personal favourites are marmite, or salted butter and the thinnest layer of strawberry jam I can manage on top.

TiRed

any spare parts which you can buy easily.
    Are you using them correctly?

Yes. And I replaced the timer twice too. But when the selector switch died as well that was it. Nice industrial design relatively simple inside. British made, all parts available, but still over-rated. I still like it though. Never used the sandwich cage.

Funny I’m not a huge fan of peanut butter and I don’t like marmite. But I was the only one in the house who ate the marmite peanut butter. It’s not bad at all. A little cheaper over here. My two have just polished off a giant tub of peanut butter in 10 days!!!

p7eaven
    Free Member

Best jam is made by local people with local fruit. True but funny.

Nah the best jam is made by our old lady Austrian friend,

She’ll be local to someone 😉

The best jam also has handmade labels. In shakey biro or freezer marker

Kryton57

A little cheaper over here. My two have just polished off a giant tub

About £2.90 a Jar in Sainburys but Adsa seem to be the only shop (around here anyway) that does the double sized Marmite Peanut butter for £4.

kelvin

Back on series one of Toast of London, so good.

Toast is marvellous. Default food that always tastes great. You can’t get bored of it. Also very handy for carb counting for diabetics in a rush.

grum
    Free Member

I’ll be accused of being a hipster but this is very good peanut butter

https://jackpotpeanutbutter.com/

The wasabi one is amazing.

They are good peeps too I cancelled my subscription to them a while ago as I was skint due to the ‘rona, and they sent me 12 jars absolutely free!

slowoldman

Some fussy eaters here. What’s with this “beans not touching toast” weirdness? Do you eat the beans with a spoon? How do you mop up all the sauce?

jamj1974

Some fussy eaters here. What’s with this “beans not touching toast” weirdness? Do you eat the beans with a spoon? How do you mop up all the sauce?

Perfectly summed up. Load of weirdos! 😉

p7eaven
    Free Member

^
    I think it was just one person. I allow bean and toast touching, yet frown on covering the toast* with hot beans from the pan because they will soggy up the toast something terrible.

ie

Toast on one side, beans on other. Touching allowed, layering not.

You ask:

Do you eat the beans with a spoon?

No, with knife, fork, and also edges of toast as scoop.

How do you mop up all the sauce?

With final bits of toast, using knife, fork, hand, whatever, push these small squares about like miniature snow-shovel-squeegee hybrids into the sauce and shovel up. When toast is used up, finally lick last of sauce clean using only the tongue. It helps to corral/arrange the last slick of sauce with the knife. Imagine a line of coke, except now it’s orange and wet.

(Note: To facilitate lickage, prepare by first trimming facial hair and tying back any long hair. Unless you’re some kind of beast and/or Gene Simmons)

*Exceptions sometimes made if forced to use smaller/round plates. In these scenarios one slice of toast will be written off/soggied as a sacrificial platform for hot beans and sauce. The loss is partially offset by two triangles of crunchy toast, one either side of said platform. It’s doable, yet obviously inferior to the ‘sea & shore’ format facilitated by aforementioned rectangular plate**.

**A revelatory discovery.

Kuco

I mentioned I don’t like the beans on the toast and yes if I just have beans with toast the beans will be in a bowl and I will eat them with a spoon.

grum
    Free Member

Beans need to be cooked down until there isn’t loads of excess liquid anyway.

funkmasterp

I was going to sleep but now I’m going back downstairs to make Sind toast and possibly watch an episode of Toast.

Jam, hummus or marmite?

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ Marmite. Sugar before bed is bad. Hummus is a meal.

Further to the beans ‘with vs on’ toast conundrum, here is diagram in hope to destroy confusion:

Beans need to be cooked down until there isn’t loads of excess liquid anyway.

slowoldman

Ah well vive la difference. I had beans and a fried egg ON toast yesterday.

funkmasterp

It’s called beans on toast not beans next to/adjacent to/in the vicinity of….

dyna-ti

Nothing finer than the way the toast becomes soggy with bean juice.*
    *I guess some people on here have started gagging 😆

I had beans and a fried egg ON toast yesterday.

Soft runny yoke ?, that could cause issues for some here 😆

slowoldman

Well it’s the yolk is solid it’s not a proper fried egg is it? It’s the one you get for free tucked under the proper one.

Had a couple of deliciously soft boiled eggs this morning. With toast – though OH likes to spread them ON toast.

duncancallum

I’ve no toaster for maximum Stw points I use the toast rack on my Aga

slowoldman

What’s wrong with a toasting fork and the log burner?

p7eaven
    Free Member

*I guess some people on here have started gagging 😆

I will and do eat pretty much anything in any fashion. Very unfussy eater. With the acquired knowledge of certain options being better or worse than others* Very hot beans on nice crisp toast is a disaster. Edible. But disastrous. Edible in the way that ‘marryable’ applies to certain people. ie they are eligible for marriage. Fact. But why would you? Life is too short for deliberately soggy toast 🍞➕💦 = ❌

p7eaven
    Free Member

Also – ‘proper’ used to describe personal food preference?

Requires to be a shootable offence.

ie ‘(sic) a proper cup of tea’ to some means drowned in milk and bombed with sugar.

It’s just the wrong word.

mogrim

This, 100%. Hot beans straight out of the microwave, hot buttered toast, beans on top. Soggy in the middle but with some crispy crusts to give a bit of variety. A bit of HP sauce and: perfect.

p7eaven
    Free Member

microwave

soggy

HP sauce

ISWYDT!

#fistbite
    #dontreact

llama

It’s bread that is awesome. Ancient staple food. Toast is just one awesome strand. Fried bread for instance, basically toast with extra fat, and then there are the puddings: bread and butter pudding, summer pudding, bread pudding. And breadcrumbz, yum coat my schnitzel and get in my pan.

slowoldman

All those wonderful flatbreads too. If I could only get my carbs one way, It would be a hard choice but think it would be bread.

malv173
    Free Member

@slowoldman when I was a youngster in Wales my grandfather used to make toast that way, on the coal fire though, not log burner. It was amazing!

slowoldman

Yep we had a coal fire when I was little – and a toasting fork. Log burner is more STW though.

erictwinge
    Free Member

Often said id be happy with a couple rounds of hot buttered toast as my death row meal!

i likes all different kinds of bread, but good salted butter (often with an extra crack of the salt mill) and nothing else does it for me.

FuzzyWuzzy

I haven’t had a toaster for years, occasionally do cheese on toast via the grill but usually less hassle to make a toasted cheese sandwich instead.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Toast’ is closed to new replies.