Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Toast
  • jaminb
    Free Member

Can you imagine a world without it?

This miserable thought entered my head after polishing off 2 rounds of Chilli Marmite and cheese, a round of Apricot jam and one of thick cut marmalade.

Wholemeal, nutty, rye or white bloomer, crisp thin or thick cut and just cool enough to be crunchy for me.

Don’t get me started on beans or tomatoes on toast, soup and toast, Cheese and ham toasties

Is there any easier or alternative to the humble slice of toast?

jam-bo

Can you imagine a world without it?

My toaster blew up yesterday.

So yes.

MoreCashThanDash

Sending internet hugs.

b230ftw
    Free Member

The pleasure of a freshly baked crispy white slice of chunky bread toasted then slathered in a good inch of proper butter is something else.

b230ftw
    Free Member

So yes.

RIP toaster. 😔

I have mitigated this risk by having a proper Dualit commercial type toaster which should last me to my dying day. I should really buy some replacement elements just in case of a partial failure. You never know.

LeeW

Even the word is fabulous!

I have a fetish for toast, allowed to cool in the toaster then spread with far too much butter. Just incredible.

kayak23

A toast to toast

BlobOnAStick

Yes I can hear you Clem Fandango

joshvegas
    Free Member

The pleasure of a freshly baked crispy white slice of chunky bread toasted then slathered in a good inch of proper butter is something else.

so you ruined fresh baked bread by toasting it AND THEN you ruined toast by using fresh bread.

I suggest you take some time and think.

jaminb
    Free Member

Jam-bo so sorry for your loss and my insensitive toast to toast. If I had realised your toaster was toast I wouldn’t have raised a toast.

Mods please delete

oldnick

boombang
    Free Member

@b230ftw I will never get over my parents throwing out their Dualit after a quarter century as it was toasting unevenly. Probably only had another 25 years in it.

Replaced by a 2 slot white plastic box that slightly warms bread if you are very patient.

joshvegas
    Free Member

My last toaster is pretty decent, good even toasting and four slices.

but why do they provide a lift feature to help extraction thats so measley that it doesn’t help extraction of anything that isn’t bread.

gilesmartin81

Can you imagine life without beans on toast – Nope can’t see it.

grum
    Free Member

Homemade granary sourdough toast with butter and peanut butter this morning 🤤

Sage 4 slice toaster is pretty good. Don’t be fooled by the non commercial Dualits though, they are plasticky and the second round of toast comes out more done than the first.

docrobster
    Free Member

avdave2

Best is with marmite and a poached egg on top

joshvegas
    Free Member

Best is with marmite and a poached egg on top

I can’t argue this in the slightest, to the kitchen!

Kuco

The pleasure of a freshly baked crispy white slice of chunky bread toasted

I disagree with this personally, this should be eaten as bread and butter or a good sarnie. Fresh bread IMO is too moist, day old bread is better but that’s just me, unless it’s the only bread you have then go for it.

But yes toast is wonderful stuff, especially when you come back from a cold ride, a slice of toast, and a mug of tea.

montylikesbeer

The best cure for a hangover

slowoldman

Commiserations. Have the media been informed?

When you don’t know what you want to eat, toast always satisfies. Not just bread either, also fruit loaf, teacakes. Favourite here is the excellent sourdough from our artisan bakery products outlet.

jamj1974

Toast with strawberry jam. Toast with marmite. Toast with poached eggs. Toast with lime marmalade. Cheese and mushroom toasted sandwich. Toasted cheese sandwich with tomato soup. Beans on toast. Pilchards or sardines on toast. Crostini or bruschetta. I can’t think of a more versatile food…

A favourite option in our house, a triple-decker sandwich made with good brown bread, rocket, mustard mayonnaise and thin slices of good steak…

p7eaven
    Free Member

Can you imagine life without beans on toast – Nope can’t see it.

I used to love it until someone told me it was veggie. Now I can’t even believe how I was ever satisfied. Witchcraft, I tell you! See also baked potatoes, fruit, nuts, and dark chocolate.

#nevertrustaveggie

Timely thread. I just (literally this day) have given up toast/bread for 12 months as have breakfasted on it throughout winter thanks to an abundance of bread from kind/generous/overstocked neighbours and I now weigh more than 100 loaves. Other culprits (chips, chocolate) also binned until I’m under control.

Sourdough toast ftw btw. Butter/vegan butter/veg spread/peanut butter it’s all tasty. Also jam. Homemade jam is best. Jam and peanut butter together is nasty.

A poached egg on toast is divine. A bead of good chilli sauce on that egg is an ace in the hole of my gob.

Today I had eggs no toast. Felt panicky.

jam-bo

Commiserations. Have the media been informed?

it was about the same time as Phillip went. Makes you think…

Kuco

I like beans with toast, not on toast.

p7eaven
    Free Member

^ approved. I use(d) a long rectangular plate I kid you not. Toast on one side, beans on other. Touching allowed, layering not.

Toast – firm, crunchy over chewy. Never soggy. Spread/butter just melting.
    Baked beans – Hotter than the sun. No shine to them. (Shine = not hot enough)
    Sal y pimienta? Si!
    Salsa? Get bent. Ok just a touch of hot sauce. A touch, mind. Jalapeño/green variety please

kelvin

Beat me to it! I was hunting for the right clip to use…

Cougar

to the kitchen!

I see what you did there. Very meta.

dudeofdoom

I love bimbo toast wiv nocilla as I’ve gone over all native.

Tbh I didn’t realise it but they also make the donuts I like as well.

Can’t beat a bimbo 🙂

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

^ approved. I use(d) a long rectangular plate I kid you not. Toast on one side, beans on other. Touching allowed, layering not.

That’s why sausages were invented – ideal for keeping the beans and toast nicely socially distanced.

grum
    Free Member

Bimbo bread? 🤨

This is the best jam btw, you’re welcome

BigJohn

I hadn’t seen this thread until I sat down with my lunch. At breakfast I had 1 piece of toast with marmite & peanut butter, 1 piece with home made apricot conserve and peanut butter.

Foe lunch, instead of toast I made myself some French onion soup topped with a crouton. (Cheese on toast).

bridges
    Free Member

Great minds.

Ray ****ing Purchase.

dovebiker

Mrs DB has a delicious Panettone recipe for the bread machine, complete with extra dried fruit. Freshly baked, thickly sliced in the toaster and slathered in butter with a frothy coffee – lovely

p7eaven
    Free Member

This is the best jam btw, you’re welcome

Best jam is made by local people with local fruit. True but funny.

YLMV

Sandwich

frothy coffee – lovely

It was all going so well too!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Making some toast, right now! 😬

Kryton57

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Toasted bread? Maybe. Currently I prefer crumpets with cheese on. And Encona Carolina Reaper sauce.

grum
    Free Member

Best jam is made by local people with local fruit. True but funny.

Nah the best jam is made by our old lady Austrian friend, however if you have to use a supermarket, that stuff is the best. Much nicer than the regular Bonne Maman

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Toast’ is closed to new replies.