Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 303 total)
  • Tjs recovery ride part 6 “Y Viva España”
  • leffeboy

Legs of mahogany and arse of rhino hide

Did you take a photo  of yourself before you left? Would be interesting to compare with when you get home.  Might even persuade some of us out onto our bikes

dyna-ti

Of his legs or his arse ?.

tjagain

The pics are not really a good advert
    Leaving home fresh faced and keen

This morning. Broken hungover old man i dire need of coffee a haircut and a shave

matt_outandabout

dire need of coffee a haircut and a shave

That’s the day sorted then.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

That Shand looks a good solid bike.
    If you don’t mind me asking,how old are you Jeremy?

weeksy

60 when he started, 120 now 🙂

tjagain

Lolz at weeksey. Thats what it feels like
    Im 61

The shand has been great much to my relief having spent 10x what i have ever spent on a bike before. Not one thing has gone wrong with it bar a quick link broke and the cranks creaked a bit until I tightened them. That was my fault. Also the bike has been really comfy.

tjagain

Well Paula said ” come with me to walk the dogs” what she didnt tell me was it takes over 2 hours over the local mountain.

Lovely view tho

tjagain

Managed to get everything sorted out today. Got a hire car to go visit some other pals on Saturday ( too far to cycle in the time available ) and also got some walking shoes and a stick for not too much for the walking we are going to do next week.

I cannot believe that its all come together
    Still not sorted out how to get home. Ill deal with that next eeek

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Looking decent for 61 I should of thought.I can’t see much difference in how you look compared to the starting photo.

tjagain

I weighed myself today. 11st 10lb. Before i did the Scotland test ride I was almost 13 stone. Thats the lightest I have been for 30 years

tjagain

I made it to aguilla de compoo to meet up with my pals. Too far to ride so i hired a Renault misspelling

Needless to say beer wad involvef

matt_outandabout

Are you pissed? 🤣

tjagain

Who me

My bed is ip stairs in my room. Difficult. The telly tuned on as i walked in. Its centuries olf building and i have been made to drink cognac

I am disturbed by the wonky beams

tjagain

Ffs posting pics

tjagain

Arrggh

tjagain

I give in. Between congac ans stw i ca
    Nt post pics

tjagain

tjagain

Went to the spanish desert today

welshfarmer

Good work posting that in what appears to have been a fair state of inebriation. Make the most of the warmth, it is freezing back in Blighty

leffeboy

Make the most of the warmth, it is freezing back in Blighty

Good point. You might want to just keep going

Still the best thread here

tjagain

Last nights hotel was a beautiful old monastery

Im going to do some sightseeing today

Rona

I am disturbed by the wonky beams

😂

Stayed in a place like that in England once (the night before Dusk ’til Dawn IIRC) – beautiful property but couldn’t wait to get out in the morning, away from the weird creaks, wonky beams and general lack of symmetry – made me feel slightly disorientated (and I wasn’t even pissed).

Went to the spanish desert today

A contender for the Arrrgghh! My Eye! thread surely. Can anyone else see the head of a slightly stern sand creature wearing sunglasses?

Edit: Think it may have been TwentyFour12 rather than D2D.

tjagain

Seeing as i have a car today i drove up to a high mountain viewpoint

tjagain

matt_outandabout

Brilliant.

Are you sure you don’t want to crash the 90 day Brexshit staying limit?

tjagain

Im so tanned i fear being sent to Rwanda anyway without that

singletrackmind

Top pic looks like heavenly Road bike territory. Zero traffic, acceptable gradient and smooth tarmac.
    Lack of cafés might be a proplem though.

Are you in the picos

mogrim

Paula said ” come with me to walk the dogs”

So another side effect of this long bike ride is that you’ve mellowed out about dogs?

tjagain

Im not sure where i was. The hazards of allowing my pal to input into Google maps. I think i was looking at the picos. The climb was almost 2000m. I’m not riding a bike up there

rickmeister

Paula said ” come with me to walk the dogs”

So another side effect of this long bike ride is that you’ve mellowed out about dogs?

Paula had Tj under close control so the dogs were safe….

tjagain

I’ve been adopted by Paulas two psychotic rescue dogs. I think they thought me a kindred spirit.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Have you had to carry any old injuries on your odyssey this summer tj.My body seems to be creaking and I,m a bit younger than you.Perhaps, being a nurse means you’ve dealt with health issues better than most.

tjagain

Worst issue has been a bad case of betty swolocks🤣. Well you did ask

I had two different fungal infections sorted with the right cream. One in my builders bum cleft and one in the groin fold. Just itchy and nasty. Took a couple of weeks to clear each time

I’ve also had a couple of spots / boils on my arse which have responded to again the corect creams. I thought at one point the boil might be ride ending but the correct cream reduced but not eliminated the infection to the point i could contine.

Got a bit of tendonitis in my left arm. Doesnt hurt on the bike. Tennis elbow maybe?

Got a corn on my right big toe from pressure from my shoes. Thats down to my odd shaped feet.

A callous on my right thumb from the twist shifter . Too hot for gloves and sweat makes it slippy requiring a lot of grip pressure to turn it

So nowt very much and mainly a product of the heat. I do wonder if I would have been better not in lycra shorts for better air circulation. Clean pair every day.

The key thing to avoiding injury imo is riding position. Bars are sweptback and higher than the seat. The bike is really comfy. Low gears so i dont have to push hard at low cadence uphills

I do seem to have strained an adducter in my right leg driving the car over the weekend. Its 18 months since i last drove a car and a decade since i did 500 miles over a weekend. edit. I drove a car at Christmas but not far

No injuries prior to this ride that effect riding . I was in good fettle before i set off but do have an old rotator cuff tear that i need to be aware of and a dodgy back. Comfy upright bike again stops either being an issue

boblo
    Free Member

On long tours I carry an antibiotic cream from Amazon Yee hawww It’s quite common to get folliculitus or similar. This clears it up in a couple of days.

tjagain

I used chlorhexadine. Prefer it to random antibiotics.

tjagain

The next bit of adventure starts today. Paula an I are catching a bus to Zubili then a few days walking on the Camino Santiago. Heavy rain and thunderstorms are forecast on Friday so as ever plans subject to change🙄🤣

Meeting other pals in Zublini

tjagain

Arrived at the hostel where we are all meeting up to discover its a town I passed thru 10 days ago and tbat we are going to be going to all the towns i have already been to. Oops. At least the walking route is different from the cycling route🙄🙃🤣

matt_outandabout

🙃

tthew

Ha! But you’ll be sharing the experience with you pals this time which will also bring a whole new perspective.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 303 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.