Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 303 total)
  • Tjs recovery ride part 6 “Y Viva España”
  • tjagain

Apparently i have to start a new thread as I’m now in Spain.

I’m heading for a town called Estella near to Pamplona where I am meeting with ex colleagues one of whom lives there and we are going to walk some of the compostella. Thats on the 20th. On the 17th i am also going to meet some other pals in a town called Agulla de Compoo. I think the two towns are a bit far apart to ride between and riding to deadlines tends to make me panic so at the moment the plan is to base myself in Estella and either public transport or more likely hire a scooter to get to Aguilla.

After walking the bit of the compostella I think that will be time to head for home
    Probably via the Santander ferry.

As ever its all very vague and subject to change on a whim.

I’m told rain is coming but I’ve been told that before and i have just been baked in the sun for months. I have the most absurd cyclists tan and my eyebrows are sunbleached.

Today was a fairly short one. Barely 40 miles but im now in the mountains and the change of scenery is great. Saw about 30 or 40 big birds of prey circling in a thermal today. Huge buggers they were.

Im in a town called Elizondo in a hotel tonight as no convenient campsites. Tomorrow is the first big climb. 2500ft over to Eugi. Im going to take a few days to meander to Estella. Im well rested after a nice chillout in Hondarribia

Pics to follw in a minute

tjagain

Serious big birds in this pic honest

tjagain

Ffs onlyntwo pics appeared

tjagain

And another failure

tjagain

thepurist

So is it churros rather than croissants for breakfast now?

tjagain

Ive been having fun today trying to remember the little bit of Spanish i know and getting totally muddled with the bit of French and tiny bit of Italian i know. Well if in doubt just speak loudly and slowly in english i guess🙄🤣

tjagain

Ill find out in the morning I guess given its a hotel buffet brekkie

Ambrose

It’s definitely starting to look a bit hilly. With your ‘legs of oak’ you’ll get up those hills I’m sure.

falkirk-mark

Are those birds vultures, certainly look like them.

molgrips
    Free Member

Gracias.

simondbarnes

Lovely 🙂

tjagain

Likely candidate i am told is Griffons so yes

singletrackmind

Cafe solo por favor. Espresso or small black coffee.

bob_summers

they’d be griffons, nearly 3m across. I surprised about 6 of them dining on a Pottoka pony, coming from downwind, so was quite close when all of them took off at once. The force was incredible!

tjagain

The top of the pass. Im buckled

tjagain

Bollox its melting hot. Im on the edge of heatstroke. 2 beers did not help at all.

Ambrose

Find a shady spot for a siesta.

tjagain

Yup

matt_outandabout

I found beer in that heat didn’t help…Spanish do some lovely juice/squash/fizzy orange or lemon though 👍

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s one of the hotest September days on record. We were out on horses and kept the pace right down.

We find diluted fruit juices easy to drink and absorb when it’s very hot, nothing too concentrated and no alcohol. You’ve left France so probably won’t be able to get menthe à l’eau.

donald
    Free Member

Literally the drink of cyclists

mogrim

I found beer in that heat didn’t help…Spanish do some lovely juice/squash/fizzy orange or lemon though 👍

Ask for “una clara”. Yeah, it’s shandy. I get that in the grim grey wastelands of Scotland you don’t drink shandy, I can understand that. I’d want to be perma-drunk if I lived in Scotland, too. But it’s sunny here. And no-one’s looking. You know it makes sense.

tjagain

Im fine now. Camped up near pamplona. Lost my charging cable thi so no updates till i get another if borrowed a cable to get some charge

aide

YAY!! Episode 6 – I am going to miss this series when you get your ferry back TJ, in the meantime, enjoying your tour tales. Happy travels

anagallis_arvensis

When you get the ferry back are you riding home? Give us a shout if you need a bed ñear Newbury

tjagain

Dutch hippy also cycle touring lent me a cable. Had a good bleather with him.

Biggest climb I hade done for a long time. I was absolutely buckled by the top and it took 4 hours. Gutted to get a crap descent as well but i am a long way above sea level still. Think I’ll spend 2 nights here and spend tomorrow having a nosey round Pamplona

tjagain

tjagain

Summit view

tjagain

Actually this one should be right

tjagain

Waves magic wand

Elbows

Get to Bar Guria, always my first stop when in Pamplona.
    Fantastic Pinxos. They do one with poached egg, mushroom sauce and chipsticks 🤯

tjagain

When you get the ferry back are you riding home? Give us a shout if you need a bed ñear Newbury

Weather dependent and you expect me to plan that far ahead ?

At the moment the favourite is to hire a nice car on a onevway hire to get home quickly. The idea of ridung thru the uk in a wet october?

But we will see. Tonight fir the first time i was pondering continuing south. Portugese coast?but thats all a couple of weeks until i need to decide

gauss1777
    Free Member

No Scotland Yes stickers to put on that sign? 😉
    The grass looks a lot more lush, than I’d have imagined. Looks great!

Ps there are probably enough STWers in central Scotland to make a Tjreturns get together in Edinburgh worthwhile.

tjagain

I had my wander around Pamplona which was unfortunately rather spoilt by an anxiety attack. Never mind. I did manage to get all the practical things done. New charging cable, gas can and food resupply and also a bit of sightseeing but bars and cafes were impossible. Jeepers anxiety is horrible. It a new thing for me and I really hope its temporary. My heart goes out to those who struggle with it.

Funny city. Nice old town mixed with more than its fair share of ugly postwar buildings and more signs of poverty than I have seen since leaving the UK. Traffic horrible and noisy and dirty like most cities. Lots of street art with more than enough heroic statues

tjagain

tjagain

Yes that is Mickey mouse standing in front of the representation of the bull run

tjagain

Street art of bicycles. All differnt sorts made of stainless steel

tjagain

tjagain

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 303 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.