Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tips on painting rusty shelving
  • bukobuko
    Free Member

I’ve got two old heavy duty shelving rusty and pitted, I’ve removed a lot of the rust with an 80 grit sanding disc down to shine metal in parts. What should I do before the top coat?

I was thinking of painting it with Krust and then primer. I’m not looking to get perfect shelves but to stop rust getting back though to quickly, any advice please.

lion
    Free Member

Johnstones trade metal paint, great product. Think you can get it tinted to a colour as well

https://www.johnstonestrade.com/product/smooth-metal-paint

downhillfast
    Free Member

I’ve had good results using Hammerite “Direct To Rust” paint. Seems to last very well.

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve found Hammerite stuff to be rubbish.

POR15 can be bought in smallish tins and applied directly to the sort of surface you describe. Or prepped with their Metal Ready product for even better adhesion.

Overcoat with paint off your choice and you’re good to go. I did the underside of my car with this stuff and it’s been brilliant so far. Did it about 8 years ago and no sign of the red menace.

bukobuko
    Free Member

never heard of POR15 (Fuel Tank Sealer) looks the business

wwaswas
    bukobuko
    Free Member

ha ha Ok got ya

nixie

POR-15 but do not get it on your skin! The small tins go a surprisingly long way. If you have leftovers put clingfilm between can and lid and store up side down.

bukobuko
    Free Member

Thanks nixie good tip that, Ive just ordered some.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tips on painting rusty shelving’ is closed to new replies.