Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tips for locating a diesel fuel leak in a van
  • kayak23

Wa gwan.

My 2010 Toyota Hiace has had a bit of a fuel leak for a while.
    Despite me hoping the problem would go away, it doesn’t seem to have done yet.
    In fact, it’s getting unpleasant as I can smell the fumes in the cab while driving.
    If I park in the rain I get little ecological disaster rainbows coming out from under it.

It’s pretty difficult to trace leaks I know but I wondered if anyone had any tips or a good methodology for ruling stuff out?

I’ve driven it onto ramps this morning so one side is in the air. I’ve gone in with degreaser in my Worx washer and sprayed that about good, let it settle then blasted it out as best I can. It still looks manky to be fair.

I’ve then run the engine for twenty minutes or so and lay under there looking for drips.
    I’ve got an endoscope camera so have been looking around with that too.
    Can’t really see any obvious leaks around the injectors etc.

I left it with some fresh cardboard underneath for a while but typically no drips came.

I’ve ordered some uv dye kit you’re meant to add to the fuel then use a uv torch to see if there’s evidence of it anywhere.

Besides all that, anyone got any good tips? I can see this being a bit of a git 😐

andrewh
    Free Member

Definitely fuel? The above should spot it.
    Maybe something else which doesn’t come out when you run the engine stationary, steering fluid, gearbox oil, whatever, come out when you drive the rainbow puddle appears when the rain washes whatever it is clean after you park and you can just smell the Jerry can in the back?

timbog160

Get it good and clean and then try spray chalk which should show it up..

duncancallum

Checked the obvious things like leak off pipes?

muddyjames
    Free Member

I used to live next door to a policeman who I recall telling me that it was somewhat of an offence to have a diesel leak (it came up since his wife’s van had a leak!), since for example an unsuspecting motor cyclist might end up in a hedge if they slipped on it. No idea what the consequences for you might be if you are caught though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Any starting issues at all ?

Also get it back down on the flat if your looking for a leak

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Can you pressurise the system?

Try revving the engine as my fuel leak only became apparent whe the engine was revved.

kayak23

since for example an unsuspecting motor cyclist might end up in a hedge if they slipped on it.

Yes, as a motorcyclist myself I am only too aware of this having gotten sideways on the odd roundabout once or twice.

It’s going to a garage if I can’t find it.

Checked the obvious things like leak off pipes?

I know bugger all about diesel engines to be honest but I believe mine doesn’t have these rubber pipes off the injectors.

Any starting issues at all ?

Also get it back down on the flat if your looking for a leak

Starts really well. Trouble is if its flat I can’t get under it.

try spray chalk

Not come across that. I’ll have a search 👍

kayak23

A local garage confirms my suspicions after a LOT of time spent with UV dye kits in the dark, and spray chalk and an endoscope camera, and multiple engine degreasing and jet washing on my back underneath the van, that the fuel leak is coming from one of the pipes that feeds fuel into the injector rail.

They’ve tried to get new fuel lines via Toyota, but Toyota are saying that the parts are on ‘backorder’, which as far as I can tell means absolutely nothing useful whatsoever!

So does anyone know a good source for Toyota van parts or has anyone ever had fuel lines custom made even and can recommend someone who can do it?

It seems mental that I cannot actually mend a perfectly good van in all other respects 😭

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That looks as if it may be a conical fitting, if you can get the manifold off, there may be an obvious leak path such as a score on the face, whick you can then attempt to dress.

Worth a go.

trail_rat
    Free Member

May just be the picture.

But the pipe doesn’t appear to be perpendicular to the compression nut.

Has the pipe taken a knock ?

duncancallum

Depends of it’s the line or the manifold that’s leaking. Have you taken it apart and just tried refitting it. See if it Seats correctly

kayak23

Have you taken it apart and just tried refitting it. See if it Seats correctly

Getting me hands near the frikker would be a fine thing!

I had thought that you can’t just disconnect them? Don’t you have to pressurise it or something?

Also, I had thought I could try nipping up the nuts but presume there is some kind of torque setting for them. I don’t have a manual sadly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tips for locating a diesel fuel leak in a van’ is closed to new replies.