Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Tiny panniers
  • saynotoslomo
    Free Member

I’ve preordered a Tailfin S3 alloy rack with the intention of strapping a drybag to the top of it. Then on Instagram last night up popped the presale for the Tumbleweed T rack so preordered that. So will try both and keep one.

Just received my my Tumbleweed rack the other day that I got in the last preorder. Went for the Pannier over the T-rack, seems really nicely made and fits great on my Longitude. Good to have a rack that actually clears plus size tyres!

I don’t want to be one of those “WHAT??? HOPW MUCH???” type people but what’s the advantages of racks like that over one of the less fancy looking racks like alpkit and topeak? Is it mainly weight and strength? I’m not too bothered about weight (quite new to all this and the equipment required so there’s definitely other places I’d rather spend the money to save weight) but I definitely wouldn’t like to have a rack fail out in the middle of nowhere!
    The T-Rack looks a pretty sturdy beast and I like the idea of mounting water bottles on the rack so I could use a full frame bag

sillyoldman

Might as well do it properly. No need for a rack.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbSucY_lbjJ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

fudge9202
    Free Member

@saynotoslomo that was my reasoning also, neither my Salsa Vaya nor my Surly Krampus have fork bosses so these are a good alternative. The T rack is definitely my favoured version for clearing a 29×3.0 Tyre as I fear the Tailfin might not but took a chance anyway, plus it was ordered several weeks ago before the T rack presale launched. I can always return it and I only intend to keep one rack so not too concerned.

molgrips
    Free Member
    steezysix
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s not super cheap but it’s steel so will likely last a lot longer than most Alu racks, especially for off road use. Compared to full RRP on a tubus rack it’s not that much more, but from a much smaller company so economy of scale plays a part. Of course it’s possible to buy a pannier rack for much less but I want something I can rely on. The mounts on the side are also something that no-one else is really offering unless you go custom made (and therefore even more expensive).
    Buy once, cry once 😄

fudge9202
    Free Member

@steexysix I like your sentiment. Totally agree.

slowoldman

I don’t want to be one of those “WHAT??? HOPW MUCH???” type people but what’s the advantages of racks like that over one of the less fancy looking racks like alpkit and topeak?

I don’t have a Tailfin so can’t confirm, but what I have read is the main advantage is rigidity, including the panniers. Apparently nothing moves even when climbing out of the saddle. From a design point of view I like the axle mounting system which avoids frame mounts – should be stronger and is quickly attached and detached.

richardthird

Podsacs fork bags (4 or 5.5l) work well as micro panniers. They used to be cheap, sure I paid about a fiver a pair.

Thule pack n pedal rack is the danglies, we use modified (widened) ones on our fatbikes.

molgrips
    Free Member

Good point. The Tailfin rack, by giving you triple boss fork mounts, opens up any of the fork mounting solutions.

Which also makes me wonder if it would be advantageous to have something made that simply provides fork style mounts where panniers would go, with no rear deck at all. You could get some great stability that way, and the results could be pretty light.

bridges
    Free Member

My wife uses an Ortleib mini pannier, designed for the front but she only uses on the rear rack of her bike. It was a gift. It’s had dog’s abuse and is still going strong after many years. Still totally waterproof. I can’t find what exact model it is, as they seem to have changed a bit in design. But they seem to still do small panniers.

Apparently her friend bought a pair, and didn’t need two so gave her the spare.

slowoldman

Which also makes me wonder if it would be advantageous to have something made that simply provides fork style mounts where panniers would go, with no rear deck at all. You could get some great stability that way, and the results could be pretty light.

The original Tailfin T1 was exactly that. I would hazard a guess that the current X Series which can take a top bag as well, isn’t much heavier.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s still a pannier rack rather than an anything-cage rack.

slowoldman

Ah I see what you mean.

bridges
    Free Member

£249 for a pannier rack?? Even the Tubus Titanium ones are only half that!

p7eaven
    Free Member

That’s still a pannier rack rather than an anything-cage rack.

Not quite sure what an anything cage rack is but is it like a lowrider rack?

Talking of cages, what about a couple of Blackburn Outpost Cargo cages with 5l dry bags?

jimdubleyou

The Tailfin X-three is only £129 for the rack – this will fit normal panniers with some extras.

I have the S-three which is only £99, and has the anything cage bolts on the side.

I got some of those planet-x podsacs with the cages included when they were not silly money.
    The cage is pretty good, the bags not so much.

oddnumber
    Free Member

I’ll second @yourguitarhero , got the same Tortec rack from Wiggle on my Pompino. I use the Ortlieb gravel packs because the size is just right (potential for heel strike on the Pomp). I had to add a couple of spacers to clear the V brakes but it’s good and solid.

Pompino and Rack

whitestone
    Free Member

Not quite sure what an anything cage rack is but is it like a lowrider rack?

An “Anything cage” is a large cage that fits to three bottle bosses, it’s made by Salsa, review here – https://bikepacking.com/gear/salsa-anything-cage-hd-anything-bag/. There are several similar models such as the Gorilla Cage. Some forks come with the three bottle bosses on each side so you can fit a pair. I installed a set on the downtube of my fat bike using Rivnuts to add the bosses.

Bikepacking.com have a list of those available – https://bikepacking.com/index/cargo-cages-anything-bags/

fudge9202
    Free Member

My train of thought is to use a drybag on the top of the rack.

Any suggestions as to a good quality drybag with good abrasion quality

whitestone
    Free Member

My train of thought is to use a drybag on the top of the rack.

Any suggestions as to a good quality drybag with good abrasion quality

My wife uses one of these – https://alpkit.com/products/airlok-xtra-dual-13-litre, there’s a 20L version as well.

p7eaven
    Free Member

An “Anything cage” is a large cage that fits to three bottle bosses

Got it, thanks. It was the ‘rack’ bit I was unfamiliar with. Assuming now that there are racks out there which have three fittings for cages?

qwerty
    Free Member

Assuming now that there are racks out there which have three fittings for cages?

This guy goes one better:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCITGyyIbpx/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

it’s a really neat idea, he can make them for front or rear & add bosses to racks. It’s a simple bespoke way of bikepackifying your regular bike (as long as it has bosses). He makes some really nice items.

I reckon a minimal rack design with 3 bosses per leg and a concave top to accept a dry bag would be a great product.

molgrips
    Free Member

That S3 is almost what I am thinking of but I want the top strut to be much shorter. The legs with the bosses on could then slope up towards the saddle, this would put the centre of mass a lot further forward which would reduce waggle. It’d be a bit like having cage mounts on your seat stays, but with wheel clearance.

Pretty tempted to bust out the 3d printer and make a prototype. Anyone got a CNC machine?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I used the Zefal gizmo bosses on my forks to hold some Blackburn cages. Works well, costs about £10

slowol

I have a Lomo rack bag on my front rack mainly for commuting, as recommended by someone on here at the time. It will fit a rear rack too although it is slightly wider than a rack the roll top clips round the rack to snug it down. It’s very solid and you can open it more easily than a normal dry bag to get stuff out en route. Good value too.
    Their dry bags are also said to be solid.

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bike-tail-bag.html#SID=152

cleetonator

Pretty tempted to bust out the 3d printer and make a prototype. Anyone got a CNC machine?

I keep looking at box section carbon fibre tubing and wondering if it’s possible to build a rack similar in construction to how Atherton bikes are assembled, using 3d printed lugs and epoxy. Might be an interesting (and probably very light) project.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Tiny panniers’ is closed to new replies.