Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tingly hands when pushing hard on bike..angina?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Noticed this recently on the turbo. When I’m going full pelt the back of both my hands tingle a bit. I thought it was maybe because that i grip the bars more when pushing hard so decided to try no hands tonight. Sure enough tingly feeling when at over 85% of max heart rate.

My immediate thought is ‘oh shit, angina’, but I have absolutely no pain in chest, arms or neck, no shortness of breath. It goes away when I was off the gas.

I’m 43, reasonably fit now but up till recently i did have a fairly horrific lifestyle. Had high cholestrol for a few years and smoked. But blood pressure always fine however and had an ecg and echocardiogram last year (for something completely unrelated) that was all clear.

Everything I read online tells me angina is felt in chest as well as other parts of upper body. Should I be worried?

scaredypants

Do you use a big fan ? I bet they’re cold (and high effort will be taking even more circulation away from them)

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve read that when going hard it’s normal for blood to be redistributed away from extremities so you get tingling in your skin. I’ve not had it in my hands but I get tingly thighs instead. But that’s when I’m at 100% of max and a out to fall of the bike in exhaustion, not normal hard cycling.

MrPottatoHead

I get tingly bits on the turbo-I’m sure there’s less to dampen out vibrations. Maybe it’s more linked to intensity of effort causing more vibration than linked specifically to heart rate. Does it happen outside?

tpbiker
    Free Member

I haven’t noticed it outside, but tbh I’ve not been putting in anywhere near the same efforts outside as I do on turbo recently.

It only happens when I’m going above ftp pace. And it seems to be very much focused on back of both hands rather than fingers .

I’ve read it may be poor circulation, but seems odd that I get it in both hands. If it was down to furry arteries I’d have thought it would be more prevalent in one and than the other.

paino

Totally normal IMO. Pushing hard on a segment rather than a constant climb (more so indoor trainer) I’ll get a tingly right hand. I imagine it’s just the effect of your heart trying it’s best to pump blood to legs/lungs/brain at the cost of unused extremities.

Also worth checking blood pressure. Mine has always been low (hereditary apparently) and tingly hands/fingers seem par for the course.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Pushing hard on a segment rather than a constant climb

It usually happens to me when I push into my over ftp range. Tbh i hadn’t noticed it much before, but since noticing it in now acutely aware of it.

My blood pressure is about 122/80 normally, although it has been a bit lower last get times I’ve checked.

Though it may be down to poor circulation, but I don’t get especially cold hands, and from what I’ve read peripheral artery desease tends to maniest itself in feet more than hands.At least no-one thus far thinks it’s angina which is good!

dyna-ti

Well, look if you are getting probs, and in the past there have been a couple of issues, banging up to 85% or thereabouts is blooming dangerous.
    Find that maybe the early years have lkeft a slight legacy. I despite being an active smoker, have always also been effect on blood pressure, and zero cholesterol probs(MUST be all that super lean red meat 😉 ) but I do have underlying conditions that are now at 50 ish 😆 starting to reveal themselves.

Is it always tingling ?, or any numbness or is it you just grip the bar tighter when launching off up that virtual mountain 😕 Tingling and such is usually the nerves in the hand. Doesn’t really jump missing your arms entirely, so if the hands tingle, its an issue in the hands.

MrSparkle

Reminds me of an old joke, the punchline of which is ‘Yes, and she’s got a lovely pair of tits as well!’

tpbiker
    Free Member

Well, look if you are getting probs, and in the past there have been a couple of issues,

According to cardiologist there were no issues last year. He actually put it down to lower blood pressure as I’d got alot fitter in a short space of time. Certainly they specifically told me i can push as hard on the bike without any danger.

Is it always tingling ?, or any numbness or is it you just grip the bar tighter when launching off up that virtual mountain

Nope, only when pushing hard. I assumed it was because I was gripping harder, but as I say it also happened when I did a climb no handed which got me a bit worried

But as you say, if it was heart related you’d think I’d feel it in my chest, or shoulder, or arms.. rather than just the back of both hands.

dyna-ti

Did a google to include symptoms and activity, and while I’m not an expert, there is a condition related to breathing. Given while blasting along you will be breathing harder,or deeper,longer etc.

Related to breathing and has amongst the symptoms one of tingling, although the hands are listed only as one of the places it can manifest.

“Hyperventilation syndrome is a pattern of breathing where you breathe more quickly and deeply than normal. This can be very upsetting. If it goes on for some time, it can cause the carbon dioxide level in the blood to get too low”

Maybe aye, maybe nay, but if presented as an option when getting checked out, it would raise at least the doctor considering it to look for any of the other signs, that the medical profession would know about rather than google multitude one size fits all.

rapidrob95
    Free Member

I get the same tingly hands/arms on hard climbs, if I’m pushing hard, and at least one riding mate also does. I’m 25 with low blood pressure so just put it down to this

tpbiker
    Free Member

I get the same tingly hands/arms on hard climbs, if I’m pushing hard, and at least one riding mate also does

That’s reassuring..is it to do with bar grip do you reckon, probably not If it only happens when pushing hard?

rapidrob95
    Free Member

No pretty sure its not to do with grip, I took it as my body/heart prioritising legs over arms! Feels prickly on back of hands mostly, so different to numbness from hand position(which I have had before). Goes away after a few seconds of turning the wick down! Might be worth seeing someone about it if you are worried, you only get one heart after all (normally!)

tpbiker
    Free Member

Rob that sounds pretty much identical to what I have.

i am slightly worried about it, but not sure what exactly what they would do about it. An exercise ecg may be an option I guess, but I’ve been informed by a mate in the know that as it would be done on treadmill I may struggle to work at same Intensity as I do on bike to get the symptoms to show.

I’m also not sure the doc would even boyher suggesting one given i have such random symptoms. Would be different if I had chest pain, but mild tingling in back of hands is probably less of a priority In the current pandemic climate.

GHill

I sometimes get similar on hard efforts. Funnily enough, more often it’s my nose where I feel it first, rather than hands.

boomerlives
    Free Member

I’ve been informed by a mate in the know that as it would be done on treadmill I may struggle to work at same Intensity as I do on bike to get the symptoms to show.

If you are exercising hard enough to get to the point of angina, your troponin levels will be elevated for enough time afterwards to show in a routine blood test and get you to the front of the queue for an angiogram.

Trust me on this. I know.

tpbiker
    Free Member

If you are exercising hard enough to get to the point of angina

From everything I’ve read, it would be highly unusual for angina to only manifest itself in the backs of my hands so if be hopeful it’s not that.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tingly hands when pushing hard on bike..angina?’ is closed to new replies.