• This topic has 31 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by pdV6.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Time xc pedals
  • ianpv
    Free Member

So my ancient atac pedals have given up the ghost, and I need to replace them.

There now seem to be loads of time xc pedals, and some get bad reviews. Which ones should I get? Budget is an issue so looking for best bang for buck!

Daffy

The spiritual successor to the ATACS are really the XC8s.

alanl
    Free Member

I bought some MX4 last year, which seem to be the direct descendant of the original ally bodied one from 10-15 years ago.
    I’ve still got the old ones, they just need new bearings, can they be replaced?

kerley
    Free Member

I was using XC6 for over a year and they held up fine.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

They’ve lost a bit of weight over the last 10 years, my ATAC XS Carbons from 2006 are ~425g, now even the ~£55 MX6s are <300g.

Having said that, I bought some gold Wellgo C162 flat pedals the other week for £25 and they weigh ~220g for the pair! 😯

mefty
    Free Member

I’ve still got the old ones, they just need new bearings, can they be replaced?

You certainly used to be able to buy them from Time but they were very expensive, I imagine they are a pretty standard bearing so probably possible to source from a bearing shop at a better price.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ve got xc8 and they’re exactly what you want from a Time pedal.

Bombproof. Floaty. Great in mud.

rhayter

Yeah, XC8s really are excellent pedals.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I replace the bushing when they get wobbly with some from simply bearings. The bearing was still really smooth on mine. Think the bushings are £3 odd.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

I had a similar situation few years ago. My original yellow atacs lost their spring tension.
    Ended up buying xc8 on good bike and xc2 on commuter. The xc8 are better but not 2.5 times better which is roughly the price differential. The xc2’s must have done 8000 miles on original bearings.
    Now if only the cleats weren’t so damm expensive.

jeff

I’ve got 4 pairs of Atacs in need of new bushes… Just need the specs… Shame simply bearings don’t do a kit of the bearings + bushes

warpcow
    Free Member

Bang for buck has to be Aliums. Bit heavy, but all the good Time-iness and would survive a direct nuclear strike.

iainc

Just today I bought Mavic Crossride SL’s which are closest to my old Time ROC atac’s

these ones

They are identical to xc4’s but can be had a little cheaper

ianpv
    Free Member

My old ones were aliums, but the bar on one of them has gone. I’ve also still got a pair of the big Z freeride pedals that will not die. If I get 5-6 years out of some XC-8s that’d be ok, I’ve heard reports of the composite (i.e. plastic) bodies on the 2,4 & 6 breaking, and I did snap the body of a composite rxs pedal on the road bike.

iainc

I broke an xc4 on Tuesday night when a stone got stuck in the bar and the metal sheared. Was only 2 yrs old but I guess just one of those things. First failed Time pedal I have had and they are on 5 bikes (2 MTB, road, adventure and track)

Have used Time’s for last 7 or 8 years as they suit my knees

jonnyrockymountain

Xc 8’s here and Mavics branded times fantastic both

ianpv
    Free Member

I’ve used times since about 1993 – the first ones were yellow and green, single sided (and weighted to sit right), and needed time shoes to use. So ancient I can’t even find a picture of them on the internet. As I’ve used flats mainly this century (!) my aliums and z freerides have lasted longer than most, I expect!

iainc

what are the real world benefits of the XC6/XC8 over the cheaper XC4/Mavic Crossride SL’s ?

martinhutch

What do people think of the MX pedals with the bigger platform – thinking of dabbling with this. Are they more comfortable than the XC?

iainc

^^^^ will also be interested in this. I ordered a pair of the MX4’s the other day from Halfords in error – pretty cheap with BC discount, but not sure I will pick them up as have always used the XC/ROC ones.

May keep them as spares….

warpcow
    Free Member

More comfortable? Not that I’ve noticed (I have mx2s and 4s), but then I’ve never thought any Time pedal was uncomfortable. It’s some extra space to put your foot if you miss clipping in, but nothing more ime.

martinhutch

It’s some extra space to put your foot if you miss clipping in, but nothing more ime.

That sounds ideal then, as I will be showing my normal lack of coordination as I get used to it.

Iain – if you pick them up but can’t get on with them, I’ll have them off you.

iainc

^^^^ martin, i’m unlikely to fit them so they’d be in my spares box. They will cost me £39 with BC discount, but by the time I added on £3 to post, you could get them at same price anyway, so not much of a saving to pass on I’m afraid.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I have MXs on both bikes now. Used practically all versions of Time over the past 15 years. As with the previous platforms, they aren’t as good as Shimanos if you haven’t clipped in, but they do help a little if running DH-esque shoes or hikey-boots, as opposed to disco slippers.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve been riding time since the original bomb proof version. Katie’s had the same set on her commuter for nearly 15 years now. they won’t come off the cranks but have never needed to. I don’t think any of the newer pedals last as well as the bearings did in the originals..

Personally I’ve found the small time pedals to not give enough support to the shoe so I’ve been riding Roc Atacs since they came out. The flat parts on the XC pedals look a bit small to me but might be OK.

I’ve just bought some of the MX’s but haven’t ridden them yet.

Do people actually buy the Carbon versions? i got sent some by mistake once but they’re a lot more money for no saving in weight and I’ve never had a problem with the body wearing or being damaged on the standard composite versions. Am I missing other benefit?

iainc

Do people actually buy the Carbon versions? i got sent some by mistake once but they’re a lot more money for no saving in weight and I’ve never had a problem with the body wearing or being damaged on the standard composite versions. Am I missing other benefit?

iainc – Member
    what are the real world benefits of the XC6/XC8 over the cheaper XC4/Mavic Crossride SL’s ?

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO #

indeed, interested in this too…

ianpv
    Free Member

looking at the details on the time website , the bars on the XC8 are molded, whereas they are stamped on the cheaper pedals. Not sure if that makes them stronger or not (I guess so?). The more expensive pedals also have angular adjustment, but I don’t know what that is, and I’m pretty sure my older time pedals don’t have it, so I guess I won’t miss it…

I think I’m coming round to the XC2s, which are the same as the XC4s but with a solid axle for a huge 8g weight penalty over the XC4s or 16gms over the XC8s

nedrapier

ian, I’ve got a pair of ATACs at home, only had a few hundred miles on them, but bearings are perfect. I won’t use them again, you interested?

Like these, but with a couple of scuffs:

Clobber
    Free Member

do the times and mavics use the same cleats?

iainc

yes, identical. The Mavic ones I got yesterday, all in proper sealed packaging from Evans, had Time Cleats in the packet.

The pedals are completely identical bar the logos

see my thread from the other day about it

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Hi Ian, I have an old pair of Alium pedals in working order that you can have if you pay the postage?
    Or if you’re near Brum/ Worcs/ Redditch and can collect then they’re yours for free.
    Matt.

pdV6
    Free Member

iainc – Member
    Just today I bought Mavic Crossride SL’s which are closest to my old Time ROC atac’s

Same here – needed a pair at short notice and no LBS had any Times.
    Perfectly happy with the Mavics; seem identical in operation to every set of Times I’ve used over the years.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Time xc pedals’ is closed to new replies.