Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Time for a new oil tank..
  • breadcrumb

My plumber has pointed out that our single skin tank is starting to look a bit tired.

Any recommendations for a supplier? I’ve been looking at gustodirect.co.uk – does anyone have any experience of them?

We currently have a Titan 1200l, so will be wanting the same size as a minimum.

Is it worth getting the wireless level reader? Any other pointers?

TIA

trail_rat
    Free Member

How old and what conditions the boiler in

Might be the time to look at alternatives if it’s coming to need doing soon.

Our boiler isn’t so We did our tank last year to replace a tired single skin 1200 titan. -we had it for 10 years….it was starting to sag out and discolour so playing with borrowed time

Had a diamond 1400 bunded from fuel tank shop fitted.

At the time came with a free outlet and Apollo watchman which is vastly better than watching the old sightglass.

My advice would be look at the shape and site of your tank carefully. We worked out that we could get a narrow thin tank and take up my less of the footprint of the old tank while increasing our capacity and it’s conciderably less intrusive into our garden

goldfish24

My advice would be look at the shape and site of your tank carefully. We worked out that we could get a narrow thin tank and take up my less of the footprint of the old tank while increasing our capacity and it’s conciderably less intrusive into our garden

Good advice that. We had the local OFTEC guy supply and fit ours, which was great. But I wish we had taken some time to consider if the shape/size could be improved. Have a watchman sonic here also and can recommend.
    I don’t see why replacing the tank would cause you to consider replacing the boiler, they’re quite separate.

IHN

What’s the typical lifespan of a plastic tank?

trail_rat
    Free Member

don’t see why replacing the tank would cause you to consider replacing the boiler, they’re quite separate.

Not to consider changing the boiler. Just if your changing the tank this year and the boiler in a year or two your a long way to fitting an alternative.

15-20 years. Mines was 10 years in my owner ship and I’ll be surprised if it wasnt 10-15 years old before that…..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Building regs are likely to have changed since your first tank was installed. Check to see if your new tank will be compliant if you put it back in the same place.

intheborders
    Free Member

Is it worth getting the wireless level reader? Any other pointers?

Yes.

Before just buying one online I’d check that where the current one is, and how it’s supported is to current guidance. And will you install it yourself or get someone else in?

Lifespan-wise, our plastic double-skin tank is coming up to 20 years with no issues.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Building regs are likely to have changed since your first tank was installed. Check to see if your new tank will be compliant if you put it back in the same place.

And then find out that it’s in that location because there was no where in your garden that is fully compliant and so distance from boundaries and buildings (rightly) takes second place to being away from water courses.

Oftec appear to be a bit like Boris . Full of grand ideas. The realism is that actually they don’t really care.

It’s only regulations for the public. For oftec it appears to be guidance.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Building regs is building regs. Most of OFTECs guidance (because they’re a trade association) come from BS5410, which is regarded as ACOPish.

They don’t care because the risk falls on the installer and they have no enforcement powers or remit to enforce.

trail_rat
    Free Member

May be different in that there England but Scottish building regs generalise then throw refer to oftec guidance for further details …..

As I said oftec man came along and looked at the site /options and said the best place although not compliant is where it is.

Paperwork said tank replaced like for like location not complient to current regs.

And like fensa- they are self signing.

So it all went through

goldfish24

The one I had to replace due to bulging and signs imminently splitting was ten years old. purchased by previous owner of house with only a three year guarantee. I think that should be illegal given that failure has such serious consequences.
    The replacement we bought is bunded (tank within a tank) and ten year guarantee.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Most of the tank failures I attend are between 12 and 15 yo.

Depends on sun and weather exposure in general.

I’ve not seen a failed bunded AST from weathering yet. In theory they should last for ages.

duncancallum

Where you based?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

3000l single skin UST of indeterminate age here, 10 yards from a beck and with a 20m pipe run round 2sides of the annex but still next to the house. Reckon the next one will be above ground steel with a much shorter pipe run. But WHERE everywhere reasonable the regs say: X (uhuh). Middle of the frigging drive if we make it ‘compliant’. That said a local farm had theirs melt during a fire and the contents ignited. **** me, you could see it for miles.

breadcrumb

Our boiler is getting on, but to be honest we looked into renewables and we’d be sticking with oil. The in-laws went with air source and it cost a fortune to run despite insulating the house to the hilt.

The existing tank currently sits on a purpose built plinth, I’d just be looking to place it’s replacement in the same location.

I’ll be using my regular plumber to install the tank.

Based on NW Cumbria.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Time for a new oil tank..’ is closed to new replies.