Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Tick on the dogs leg, help!
  • hexhamstu
    Free Member

Staying with a friend, no access to tweezers or anything of use to remove the bugger. Seems to be a little bit of swelling right next to the tick.

Will he survive till wednesday when I get home or does this need sorted sharpish? I’m thinking sharpish.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Put nail varnish on it. Job done, will fall off on a week or so

druidh
    Free Member

Vet asap. Or buy a tick remover.

You might be able to get it by cutting a little v-shaped nick in a credit card (or similar) some of the tick removers are just more-or-less that.

geoffj

Supermarket for some spot on flea stuff. Dab on tick and it will fall off.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

There is the little bugger! (it’s on his back leg)

bwaarp
    Free Member
    hexhamstu
    Free Member

I removed the last one with tweezers, seemed to be fine.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near Surrey, then you can borrow our tick remover!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’m in north london!

mrmo
    Free Member

going by the swelling, i would er on go to vet, get antibiotics, looks like an abscess next to the tick which is best drained sooner rather than later.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

There appears to be a vet just round the corner, I’ll see if this place is open in the morning.

https://plus.google.com/112702068962656153517/about?gl=uk&hl=en

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Definitely swelling which is why I’m slightly worried. Last time it was just a tick, plucked it out happy days.

Innes
    Free Member

Try and get a pack of these from a vet or outdoor shop.

Works really well on humans as well.

Mugboo

Our tick remover suggests they have to be twisted out to make them release. Maybe they get dizzy..

As suggested, something with a v to slip under the ticks body.

Good luck 🙂

noshki

On a recent trip to Italy we had several ticks appear on our dog and looked online as to what to do. A gentle pulling motion is the best way to remove them, basically make it uncomfortable to hold on. If you take a pointy object, cocktail stick perhaps, and move the tick around in a circular motion for several minutes it will eventually release. Vinegar on the tick and around it’s head may also help. DO NOT try and remove using tweezers as you will either leave the head behind or squeeze the contents of the ticks stomach into your dog.

May also be worth checking that whoever was with the dog has not picked up any ticks also.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure I know where the dog got the tick, it was messing around in long grass in the park. No humans entered the long grass so hopefully we are all fine.

csb

Get the tick out asap, then visit the vet when open. You can use a loop of cotton or fishing line close to the skin to tease it off.

pjm84
    Free Member

Yep twist. I use tweezers, grab hold and twist and pull at the same time.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

No tweezers available so used a bit of thread, seemed to have all it’s little spikey bits on its head so I assume I got it all out. Gave it a rub down with some hand alcohol gel stuff. He seems to be licking the area no, hope he doesn’t get drunk?

druidh
    Free Member

It’s always a good sign if the tick tries to crawl away after having been removed 🙂

hexhamstu
    Free Member

It was wriggling, someone told me a story about someone getting a tick on their eyelid, ever since then I’m close to being sick whenever I see one.

peaks
    Free Member

Hexham, have you treated your dog with ant anti flea/tick products within the last 4wks? Such as Frontline, advantix? As the flea will attach but drop off by itself within 7 days. They prevent feeding so the tick will stay small and not cause any disease spread.
    Otherwise as above, wait for a vet tomorrow, or pets at home if there’s one nearby and grab one of the proper tick removers. They prove invaluable more times than not and cost less than £5. Easy to do yourself as well so no vet appointment needed, they can just be bought over the counter.
    If your dog starts bothering at the area, you need to really get it off sooner, otherwise your dog might bite the tick off and leave the head part in the skin which can cause irritation and infection. In that case, alternative is a small wire bent to make a sharp ended V. Place the V either side of tick underneath its body next to your dogs skin.Put the sharp end of V right up to the ticks body. Move the ends of the wire together to put a slight bit of pressure around the base of tick (emphasis on slight!), then turn wire in an anti-clockwise direction (tick should start turning as well) and keep turning (takes about 4-5 turns) without ever pulling upwards and the tick should loosen by itself and come off. Make sure you throw the tick away!!
    Worth considering grabbing a spot on treatment that works against ticks if your in the area for a few days as well. If you want to get one from the vets you will need an appointment. However, you can get ones just as effective from supermarket pharmacies, namely Frontline. Steer clear of Bob Martins etc that you can pick up just from the shelf on the pet aisle.

corroded
    Free Member

This seems as good a place as any to ask whether dogs get Lyme disease? Have always wondered.

peaks
    Free Member

Ah great you’ve got it off, make sure tick had 8 legs and a pointed mouth bit at the front, if it does, all’s good!

If dog keeps licking area pop some hydrocortisone or antihistamine cream on the area. Preferably feed the dog something it can have a good chew on at the same time/ take it for a 5min walk to let the cream soak in and start working before dog has a chance to lick it off

Again, make sure you throw that tick away!

peaks
    Free Member

Yep dogs can indeed get Lymes disease. Its rare in the UK but certainly possible. That’s what tick removal is a delicate operation!

andyl
    Free Member

I normally pick about 5 off our spaniel after every walk at the moment.

Stuck one of these new Bayer Seresto collars on her on Friday night and have seen a big reduction so far and it’s just getting into her system: http://www.seresto.com/en/seresto-for-dogs/

Always have tick twisters at home and in the car. They have gone up in price to a ridiculous £5 for two bits of plastic.

mrmo
    Free Member

It was wriggling, someone told me a story about someone getting a tick on their eyelid, ever since then I’m close to being sick whenever I see one.

Had to remove a tick from the eyelid of my cat once… the cat was fine, i wasn’t!!!! ever tried to pin a cat down and then try and get a bit of plastic near its eye when it isn’t feeling co-operative!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Great advice peaks, thanks!

carlphillips
    Free Member

I had the ‘joy’ of pulling a massive tick from my dogs a***hole this morning….

Muke
    Free Member

I have been using this Tick removal method and works every time with no probs so far.

chipsngravy
    Free Member

+1 for twist n pull tick removers. Apply tea tree oil after. 100% success.
    -1 for spot on treatments. I do not want to poison my dog and kids.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

-1+1 for spot on treatments. I do not want to poison my dog and kids.

It’s not poisoning the dog or your kids

onehundredthidiot

mikewsmith – Member
    -1+1 for spot on treatments. I do not want to poison my dog and kids.

It’s not poisoning the dog or your kids

It is best to avoid anything that may squeeze or cause the tick to vomit the contents of its stomach into the blood stream.

Oh and don’t just throw them away; burst the little blighters then, obviously, wash your hands.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Tick on the dogs leg, help!’ is closed to new replies.